Relab Sonsig Rev-A Reverb

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

SteveWZ wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:05 am A Sonsig 224 Hall on a bazantar:

https://soundcloud.com/synth-presets-co ... nsig-rev-a
Bought both Sonsig and your presets. I wish there were better names (detailed or more abstract/inspiring - “vocal 1”,”vocal12” are not doing it for me, though I hear some really great programming behind). Or am I asking a lot here?

walltone wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:12 pm

Bought both Sonsig and your presets. I wish there were better names (detailed or more abstract/inspiring - “vocal 1”,”vocal12” are not doing it for me, though I hear some really great programming behind). Or am I asking a lot here?
Thanks for picking up the presets.

Fair feedback, I tend to switch between styles of preset naming.
Some seem to prefer the categorical approach for simplicity while others more individual names.
I can see the advantage of both.

The thinking here was that "Pro Studio Spaces" for is setup as a kind of tool kit for Sonsig Rev-A.
Thats why we went with the quick scroll method.

For the next one we will take your approach.
Thanks again for the good feedback.

Personally, I still struggle with reverb in my mix and always feel like I could be doing it better. My ideal reverb preset naming convention would describe 1) the type of verb sound the author was going for (ambience, room, hall, plate, etc.), 2) the type of source the author had in mind (drums, vocals, guitars, mix), and 3) the size I can expect (small, med, large, fantasy).

For example, Vocal 12 (just citing the example above) tells me nothing about the length of the verb or the type of sound. I might specifically be looking for a medium vocal plate. So "Vocal - Medium Plate Bright" would be way more specific and help me hone in on what I was looking for.

So some examples of what I'd consider good:

Ambience - Large Drum Ambience
Ambience - Medium Guitar Room
Ambience - Mix Air
Gated - Short Exploding Snare
Hall - Medium Vocal Hall
Hall - Long Synth Hall
Hall - Medium Piano Concert Hall
Room - Small Drum Room
Room - Large Drum Room
Room - Medium Mix Room
Plate - Short Vocal
Plate - Medium Snare

Or maybe even better, starting with the source:

Drums - Large Ambience
Drums - Small Drum Room
Drums - Large Drum Room
Mix - Air
Mix - Medium Room
Vocal - Short Plate
Vocal - Medium Hall

Either type of naming convention would immediately tell me which reverbs to try in which applications. At least as a starting point. And for the love of God, not a million variations of the same name (thinking of Exponential Audio here) - if I want a dark, or wide variant, I can do that easily enough.

Hello Walltone,

We will be releasing an update next week.
It will include more detailed names on the presets.

Thanks for your feedback,
Steve

The update is complete, you can download the updated presets from your account. :)

SteveWZ wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:22 pm

The update is complete, you can download the updated presets from your account. :)
That's good news and lighting fast update! Thanks a lot for your efforts!

I think Sonsig wins because you get good results very quickly and easily. In direct comparison with other Reverbs it's certainly more difficult to really hear a big difference in a finished mix.

For my short test I made also a version that uses only Valhalla and the Eventide Blackhole.

Sonsig
1x Dreamhall "QRS" as send for some arps
1x Spaceverb "Rev A" as insert for the Piano
1x Plate2 "224" as send for plucks
1x Drum Room "Rev-A", Drums
1x DeepSpace "224" for the Nord Lead
Spice - Sonsig

Valhalla + Eventide Blackhole
1x VintageVerb "ConcertHall, 1980" as send for some arps
1x VintageVerb "HugeSynthSpace, ConcertHall, Now" as insert for the Piano
1x ValhallaPlate "Plate A, Radium" as send for plucks
1x ValhallaPlate "MediumDarkDrumHall, Radium", Drums
1x Eventide Blackhole "H8000 Blackhole" for the Nord Lead
Spice - Valhalla

As someone who appreciates simple and effective plugins, this one is right up my street. It has a certain glossy sound quality that appeals to me and just seemed to work in the mix with minimal effort. The big, spacey presets are proving to be insta-good on the trance style tunes I'm working on at the moment. Definite purchase incoming.

Here is an example, Sonsig was used for all the reverbs:

Does anybody who bought it know if there's an upgrade path to the full bundle or is it more economical to just get the full bundle straight away if you're planning on getting their other verbs in the future ?

edit - nevermind I heard back from Relab, there is an upgrade path

This reverb is so silky smooth, out of all the verbs I have that aren't experimental types it's the most pleasant sounding and easy to mix with

How does Relab send licenses? I've just bought Sonsig, but haven't received an activation code yet, is it a manual process?

PS found that the e-mails from Relab went to the spam folder. And the code will be sent in 24 hours.

Yeah I don't know man that Vahalla+Blackhole combo is probably the top of the mountain for me in reverb.
4damind wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:58 am I think Sonsig wins because you get good results very quickly and easily. In direct comparison with other Reverbs it's certainly more difficult to really hear a big difference in a finished mix.

For my short test I made also a version that uses only Valhalla and the Eventide Blackhole.

Sonsig
1x Dreamhall "QRS" as send for some arps
1x Spaceverb "Rev A" as insert for the Piano
1x Plate2 "224" as send for plucks
1x Drum Room "Rev-A", Drums
1x DeepSpace "224" for the Nord Lead
Spice - Sonsig

Valhalla + Eventide Blackhole
1x VintageVerb "ConcertHall, 1980" as send for some arps
1x VintageVerb "HugeSynthSpace, ConcertHall, Now" as insert for the Piano
1x ValhallaPlate "Plate A, Radium" as send for plucks
1x ValhallaPlate "MediumDarkDrumHall, Radium", Drums
1x Eventide Blackhole "H8000 Blackhole" for the Nord Lead
Spice - Valhalla

Some algorithms of the VintageVerb (Dirty Hall and Chaotic) have as model the Lexicon 224(XL) which brings VVV to the ball park of the 224. The basic idea of the ValhallaVintageVerb is a midpoint between 224, 224XL and 480L as Sean described in this thread
The basic idea of Sonsig is (Afaik) the Concert Hall algorithm of the Lexicon 224XL.

I would say there are a few similarities ;)

Yeah the VVV algos of Dirty Hall, Random Space, Dirty Plate, Chaotic Chamber and Smooth Random are my favorite reverb sounds ever, I know the Chaotic Chamber modells slight the Abbey Road and the Randoms are Lexicon

My e-mail had some idiosyncrasy towards Relab, and even after I added Relab as a trusted sender, it still moved the e-mail with the code to the spam folder.
Anyway, now I'm finally on board. I have VVV and Room from Valhalla, Reverberate, Seventh Heaven, and a few others, and yet I felt compelled to purchase Sonsig. There's something about its sound which is unique, and I can only describe it as "happy" sounding.
And it's very versatile. Try this -- turn Time and Size right down, Ensemble to 4 or 5, while turn Pre-delay up to 250 - 300 ms. Blend this with vocals or acoustic guitar. I have tried similar settings on other verbs and they don't behave the same.

Return to “Effects”