I love my Cubase 10

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:40 am
Unfocused wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:39 am Installed fine. Activated Melodyne as an extension on an audio track fine. Edited audio in Melodyne fine. Try to playback audio—no sound.

Consulted Melodyne on line help. Ensured cache folder permissions were correct. Still no sound.

Deactivate extension—unprocessed audio clip plays fine in Cubase.

WTF?

-u
Turn off 64-bit processing in Cubase. It's a known issue. Going to be fixed in 10.0.40 whenever that is.
That fixed the problem. Thanks so much!

-u
"I guess one person can make a difference, but most of the time they probably shouldn't." -M. Simpson

BONES wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:47 am
Kalamata Kid wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:41 pm Looks like Cubase will get ARA on 6-26-16.
I am looking forward to this event!
Let's hope it will be as good or better as the ARA in Studio One.
Somebody else asked and has so far been ignored, so I'll try this -
What is ARA and why should I care?
lotus2035 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:07 amYes, by golly that was it! You sir are a lifesaver and I am a moron. :hihi: Thank you.
That's not fair, I wanted to call you that.
I hope this answers your question:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV5mQ1i14Z4

No, I watched that video and it told me nothing except that Melodyne looks pretty cool.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

https://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/ce ... ion-506999
The videos above and below do a good job of explaining what ARA is all about, but to summarise, it expands the level of communication between the DAW and plug-ins by adding an extra channel though which tempo, pitch, rhythm and other information about an audio file can be transferred.
Further down on that page it gets into a little more detail.

BONES wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:44 am No, I watched that video and it told me nothing except that Melodyne looks pretty cool.
You are right it did a poor job explaining ARA.
Let me see if I can come up with a better explanation.

BONES wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:44 am No, I watched that video and it told me nothing except that Melodyne looks pretty cool.
See the part in the video where they open Melodyne on the audio and the entire track instantly appeared? That's ARA in a nutshell. Audio is able to instantly be transferred to a third party application from within the DAW and edited like it was a built-in DAW editing function. Useful for tuning, editing, drum replacement, restoration, noise reduction, etc. Those would all be good candidates for ARA. Just improves the workflow by allowing tighter integration of editing tools compared to what a plug-in would allow.

OK, it turns out ARA (Audio Random Access) was easier to search for than I had expected it to be. With only four plugins in the entire universe supporting it, it seems like a bit of a waste of time and effort to me. Thanks for the explanations, though, I appreciate the effort.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

you can do that in Orion. Been doing it for years with SF

Does yours still work? Mine stopped updating in Orion years ago, so every time I save out of Audition I have to close and re-open the song in Orion to hear the result.

Updated Cubase to 10.0.30 --> It's awesome! :-)

AnX wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:47 am you can do that in Orion. Been doing it for years with SF
Not quite the same thing, though. Various hosts can do what you're doing with SF; send a chunk of audio to it, do the changes, send it back. But you're only ever dealing with that single 'chunk' in SF.

ARA basically gets access to the internals of the whole track, so it can get all sorts of other info eg pitch, tempo etc, as well as direct access to all the audio.

In essence, ARA is a plugin for the DAW's editing capabilities. Its less 'send away, send back' process and more of an 'in place' process almost as though it was a new kind of editor in the DAW. It extends what always could be done the way you're talking about, whilst making it a bit smoother. Its not vital, but its just a better way of doing the process.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

You love Cubase 10, I love my wife.

martinjuenke wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:14 pm You love Cubase 10, I love my wife.
I love your wife, too. :D

So far, the Spectralayers videos seem very heavy on the "look! It's a Photoshop for DAWs! With image editing tools!" And very light on practical, musical, audio examples.

I can totally get where Spectralayers could come in handy for post-production or restoration. In fact, it seems like a critical tool in those applications. But I honestly can't think of a whole lot of musical contexts where I'd benefit from it. They could do a better job demonstrating it in musical contexts I guess.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”