Studio One Pro 4.5

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Professional

jens wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:02 am No, for recording MIDI and audio too. I have used eXT/XT2 for a few years and I didn't "paint MIDI", drums aside, and it really is super-fast too work with.

It's just that there isn't really support for take-recording and such in XT2
(there was in eXT 1.4 however - for me for working with audio eXT in a way surpassed everything else out there - no other DAW has the same kind of superb functionality (audio parts being containers for an arbitrary number of independent take-lanes - you could basically record, edit and arrange a whole song inside a single audio-part))

Anyway: ictools, do you know what I am talking about? Are you actually familiar with XT2 or just stirring the pot again, as per usual? (I must admit that your trolling is really good as one can almost never quite tell if you're actually trolling or really a lunatic)
codec_spurt wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:47 pm
Still, nothing on earth is as lightning fast as XT2 and FLStudio when you're getting ideas down and in the grip of render mania!

:help:
It was mostly referring to FL Studio, since that's what people actually use. I don't think most people even know about or have heard of XT2. And both aren't faster at recording, that's for sure. Most people that use those types of (digital sequencers) "DAWs", are painting midi anyways.

You can't get much faster then hitting record and playing, when "getting ideas down".

I got a mail earlier from Presonus with a offer for the free Waves TrueVerb V10. Already grabbed it in a Waves offer some years ago, but, never upgraded it to V10, so, was nice to grab the V10 license. :) It's not half as bad as it has been stated here by some people.

Can generated MIDI and pattern info be dragged to the piano roll editor? Also, can the arpeggiator follow a selected groove quantize template?

1. Yes. 2. I don't know.

is it only me or the quantization settings (swing and so on) are not syncronized between the editing window (piano roll/audio clip) and the main arrangement window?
It's rather annoying.

tapekiller wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:05 pm is it only me or the quantization settings (swing and so on) are not syncronized between the editing window (piano roll/audio clip) and the main arrangement window?
It's rather annoying.
The swing window ( main ) can both be applied to midi and audio data .
The advantage of the main swing window is that you can select muliple clips/instruments and apply a groove/swing setting .

The swing window in the edit view does the same thing but only applies when in edit mode , they are independent of each other but essentially do the same thing
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

I've been playing around with the demo of Studio One. First impressions so far:
Clean looking GUI. Coming from Reaper, everything is pretty much where I would expect it to be.
Stable so far. Haven't had any crashes, even when loading my most crash heavy VST Scratch Track(which really needs to be redesigned by the way). Drum pattern sequencer is just ok. I was looking forward to this as it looked similar to Geist in being able to have each instrument loop to a different length. What it's missing though is being able to record a part live in the step sequencer and then edit it. Not a huge loss, but I'll be praying for a Geist 2 sale this year as it didn't happen last black Friday/holidays.
ARA support is as nice as expected. Didn't really have time to get into it but it opens quick enough.
Multi out vsts seem to run very nicely. I loaded Battery 4 once and it just let me add channels individually quite easily. With Reaper it's easiest to just load an instrument to track with all channels immediately which isn't bad, but gives you a rather full mixer unnecessarily at times. The Studio One method is a little cleaner.
Required a larger buffer setting than Reaper. I didn't expect this. In Reaper using my Focusrite Scarlett I run 96khz and 24bit at 32 sample buffer. Studio One required 96khz and 40 samples buffer. Not a huge deal, but worth noting I think.
So thus far not bad at all. I'm slow as heck since I don't know any shortcuts, but that's normal. What's missing though is track templates and some kind of capture/retrospective record feature. Hopefully those can be added soon. Other than that, maybe a clip launcher, but that's more of a nice extra until some other stuff is included. I kind of think version 5 could reasonably be expected to have it though. Since the last updated added very unnecessary functions for MIDI like adding notes(even I'm not that lazy) it's reasonable to have other more popular features added soon.

Anyway, I'll probably end up getting this by the end of the year unless Ableton adds ARA support which would probably make it a better overall option for me personally.

gentleclockdivider wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:46 pm
tapekiller wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:05 pm is it only me or the quantization settings (swing and so on) are not syncronized between the editing window (piano roll/audio clip) and the main arrangement window?
It's rather annoying.
The swing window ( main ) can both be applied to midi and audio data .
The advantage of the main swing window is that you can select muliple clips/instruments and apply a groove/swing setting .

The swing window in the edit view does the same thing but only applies when in edit mode , they are independent of each other but essentially do the same thing
That's not what I'm talking about.
I'm saying that if I apply a 25% swing in the arrangement window I used to get the same in the piano roll and in the audio edit window, now all three quantization panels work individually and it's frustrating that every single time I change swing in a window I have to round it to the closest integer (because there are hidden decimals that you can't see) and then apply the same BY HAND in the piano roll AND subsequently in the audio clip edit window as well.
It's a terrible. Too bad because one of Studio One's prerogatives is the fast workflow and it's a shame that they are disregarding that.

Last edited by Vortifex on Mon May 17, 2021 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Straight2Vinyl wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:52 pm . What it's missing though is being able to record a part live in the step sequencer and then edit it. Not a huge loss, but I'll be praying for a Geist 2 sale this year as it didn't happen last black Friday/holidays.
You can record parts live in the stepsequencer (enable record in the pattern sequencer ) , even midi cc data
Eyeball exchanging

gentleclockdivider wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:10 pm
Straight2Vinyl wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:52 pm . What it's missing though is being able to record a part live in the step sequencer and then edit it. Not a huge loss, but I'll be praying for a Geist 2 sale this year as it didn't happen last black Friday/holidays.
You can record parts live in the stepsequencer (enable record in the pattern sequencer ) , even midi cc data
Awesome thanks. I'll give it another go tonight. That's what's missing from Redux, which I also own. Does it record all the subtle timing differences and allow you to shift/drag the hits ahead or behind the beat? I normally play everything live 1 or 2 drum pieces at a time and then adjust the timing of any poorly timed hits.

Assuming my personal license for Reaper is acceptable for the crossgrade sale on now, I'll probably pick up Studio One this week. Seems pretty fully featured overall.

[/quote]
Does it record all the subtle timing differences and allow you to shift/drag the hits ahead or behind the beat?
[/quote]
Sadly No
Eyeball exchanging

gentleclockdivider wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:00 am
Does it record all the subtle timing differences and allow you to shift/drag the hits ahead or behind the beat?
[/quote]
Sadly No
[/quote]
I added a vote for the time shift. It would be so easy to implement. Just another automation lane in the step sequencer. Done.

Hi guys, i know 4.5 doesn’t have Komplete Kontrol mk2 integration yet but for some reason i cannot even use my s88 mk2 at all. I only want to be able to play and record midi key data but it just will not connect via MCU.

Any ideas would be much appreciated?

Logic, Live 10 and Cubase 10 all work flawlessly but I’m missing Studio One.

Anybody? Help... Please? :)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”