SH-101 VST plugin - looking for recommendations

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys,
I would like to get a recommendation on SH-101 emulator.

I've used TAL 101 previously, but it wasnt quite what I was looking for, cant really explain why, just a taste thing I guess.

I read about LuSH and Roland's VST, however their current price is out of the range of what Im willing to invest.

Can someone please recommend on a plugin? Doesnt have to be free, however I would prefer it to be moderately priced.

And it should be able to work on MAC, 10.13.

Thank you.

U-He makes a free one. I haven't used it that much, but it's free and you know U-He is quality. This link links to another link that you have to go to to get it, but it's easy.

https://u-he.com/products/tyrelln6/

You mean TAL-BassLine-101? The paid one? I have a hardware 101 right here and the TAL plugin is exactly that (taking into account some control deviations due to the age of the hardware).
So, maybe you're not looking for an 101 emulator? :) Unless of course you previously used TAL's free 101, in which case I highly recommend his newer, paid, version. It's excellent. Not much else comes to mind at a fair price point to be honest.

jeffb01 wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:59 pm U-He makes a free one. I haven't used it that much, but it's free and you know U-He is quality. This link links to another link that you have to go to to get it, but it's easy.

https://u-he.com/products/tyrelln6/
Tyrell is great, but it's nothing like a 101 imho :)

BDeep wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:59 pm You mean TAL-BassLine-101? The paid one? I have a hardware 101 right here and the TAL plugin is exactly that (taking into account some control deviations due to the age of the hardware).
So, maybe you're not looking for an 101 emulator? :) Unless of course you previously used TAL's free 101, in which case I highly recommend his newer, paid, version. It's excellent. Not much else comes to mind at a fair price point to be honest.
This. I own 2x OG 101s and the 01A, and the TAL gets as close as you’ll ever need. Half the time I end up just using that over the hardware due to convenience.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

You won’t find better than the Roland vst and second would be Tal. But if wanted more value for money, get either blocks prime, which has a nice SH-101 oscillator module, or reaktor 6, which includes that. You can find r6 cheap used sometimes. Then for the filter chromic the drop has a 101 modelled filter. Having the osc and filter in separate plugins is actually quite useful because you can out effects in between. And obviously reaktor and the drop have plenty more features than a 101.

BDeep wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:00 pm Tyrell is great, but it's nothing like a 101 imho :)
Really? I had heard it was based on the 101, but like I said, I hadn't used it much. Also, I've never touched a real sh-101 in my life so I wouldn't know anyway. :D

btw, I have to put this here, though I know that's not what you're looking for.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... ndgrip-red

I think the issue may be with the fact that the TAL one comes without effects. It needs at least a bit of distortion, if not for full on screaming, then at least to emulate a Mackie channel driven slightly too hard. I think a part of what's associated with the 101's sound is that bit of grit coming from that sort of stuff.

jeffb01 wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:07 pm
BDeep wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:00 pm Tyrell is great, but it's nothing like a 101 imho :)
Really? I had heard it was based on the 101, but like I said, I hadn't used it much. Also, I've never touched a real sh-101 in my life so I wouldn't know anyway. :D

btw, I have to put this here, though I know that's not what you're looking for.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... ndgrip-red
I believe the layout was sort of Juno inspired (???) although I don't exactly see that. Thing is, I never got "101-vibes" from it. Thruth to be told though, I also have never tried to emulate 101 sounds in Tyrell.

khaosgott wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:54 pm Hi guys,
I would like to get a recommendation on SH-101 emulator.

I've used TAL 101 previously, but it wasnt quite what I was looking for, cant really explain why, just a taste thing I guess.

Did you use the commercial tall bassline , cause that one is really close to the real thing
The freeware tal 101 just won't do it
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Lush was sold a lot of times for something like $40, $50, so it should be easy to find it cheap in market place.

I really like the D16 one ... shame you just missed the 50% off sale. I got from pluginboutique in a sale for next to nothing iirc

I used to own the real thing, it died many years ago :( but then I got TAL's commercial VST, it's a great emulation (tho my memory may not be...) :D

https://tal-software.com/products/tal-bassline-101

I found D16 LuSH-101 for a nice price, would you guys recommend it?

khaosgott wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:36 pm I found D16 LuSH-101 for a nice price, would you guys recommend it?
I don't own it, but it's a solid instrument, sounds good. Please demo it beforehand though, since there was something about the TAL one you didn't like, it seems to me you should judge for yourself if if this gives you what you're looking for.

Return to “Instruments”