Smart:comp by Sonible

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Interesting plugin. It has been able to bring some detail to the mid frequencies thanks to its spectral compression that no other compressor could. The compression itself is perfectly clean and behaves exactly like it should, it's a real pleasure to use.

I'm on the fence. Not as mindblowing as I expected it to be, but everything works great.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

DJErmac wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:01 am ...everything works great.
That looks like your anwser! :)

plexuss wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:07 am
DJErmac wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:01 am ...everything works great.
That looks like your anwser! :)
Yes, I know. Thanks ! I must say it sounds very, very good. :wink:
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

DJErmac wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:01 am Interesting plugin. It has been able to bring some detail to the mid frequencies thanks to its spectral compression that no other compressor could. The compression itself is perfectly clean and behaves exactly like it should, it's a real pleasure to use.

I'm on the fence. Not as mindblowing as I expected it to be, but everything works great.
i didnt know what to expect too, i mean we got so many tools now and with izotope automixing and mastering, crazy, i didnt expect a comp now to replace all my other comps or say "hey comp make this punchy and heavy distorted" and it does it. it is on a clean and punchy side but not heavy i think, for heavy comp it would be need an extraa setting to let the comp know i want heavy comp or whatever.

im on work now and was pretty impressed by his examples here how well the comp set the values!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpBi3qhiDL4

i mean nice, check this out, also on the whole mix i liked the results on my headphones very much, i if the plugin introduces any artifacts, any stereo field changes etc.?
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

MBP late 2013
OSX 10.9.5
Bitwig 2.5.1 (latest) - vst

While demoing smart:comp I came across some bugs:

- after deactivating AutoGain (because very often it did not match) and setting my own gain and the closing the GUI, AutoGain is activated again when reopening the plugin;

- after making some changes in the Detection Focus-window and closing the plugin, the Detection Focus is back to the default setting (full signal) after reopening the plugin;

- deactivating the AutoGain and setting my own gain as well as changes in the Detection Focus-window are not saved:
when loading a preset where I had made changes there, AutoGain again is activated and the Detection Focus-Window is back to the default setting (full signal).

These things don't happen all the time but quite often (in about 7 times out of 10).
Does anyone else noticed that?
(I reported sonible support about this but have not heard back from them.)

The sidechain ducking though works very very good.
Not only with Kick/Beats and bass but also with for example two full range arpeggio synth-loops. After playing around with and the deciding which loop should be the dominant and which be the ducked one, you get really great and interesting results of interaction - and with the possibility to shape and change this interaction with threshold, ratio and all the other parameters.
Seems to be a reason to buy smart:comp for that alone.

amwk wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:23 am MBP late 2013
OSX 10.9.5
Bitwig 2.5.1 (latest) - vst

While demoing smart:comp I came across some bugs:

- after deactivating AutoGain (because very often it did not match) and setting my own gain and the closing the GUI, AutoGain is activated again when reopening the plugin;

- after making some changes in the Detection Focus-window and closing the plugin, the Detection Focus is back to the default setting (full signal) after reopening the plugin;

- deactivating the AutoGain and setting my own gain as well as changes in the Detection Focus-window are not saved:
when loading a preset where I had made changes there, AutoGain again is activated and the Detection Focus-Window is back to the default setting (full signal).

These things don't happen all the time but quite often (in about 7 times out of 10).
Does anyone else noticed that?
(I reported sonible support about this but have not heard back from them.)

The sidechain ducking though works very very good.
Not only with Kick/Beats and bass but also with for example two full range arpeggio synth-loops. After playing around with and the deciding which loop should be the dominant and which be the ducked one, you get really great and interesting results of interaction - and with the possibility to shape and change this interaction with threshold, ratio and all the other parameters.
Seems to be a reason to buy smart:comp for that alone.
Please report the bugs to support. They seem fast.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Bugs confirmed here. Autogain is usually way off too.
More BPM please

As someone who loves spectral tools (soothe, spectre, trackspacer, mspectraldynamics, gulfoss, Sugar, etc etc) i was really looking forward to this.
I have to say i am not let down at all. Compression wise, it can sound similar to soothe when the sens is turned right up. But overall soothe is designed for vocals and mid range instruments, and as such performs better in that realm - it cant do the wide variety of stuff that smart comp can.
Smart comp has more vibe too, with the ability to customize the envelope shape (something mspectral dynamics also has) is brilliant. I was amazed by how much groove this has, the movement of the compression is really beautiful.
As a sidechain compressor this is in a class of its own. if you want spectral sidechain compression - i personally think this is the best yet. It beats out trackspacer - which has limited timing controls, whilst also sounding better and more groovy than Mspectraldynamics.

The metering is absolutely brilliant. i love that you have a spectral view of the sidechain (including ext sc) and you have a spectral view of the gain reductions - something i haven't seen before...this is really great stuff.

CPU consumption seems really reasonable to me - much lighter than soothe, Mspectraldynamics etc.

I was actually really surprised at how well the automated comp setup worked - often times when analyzing something, it gave me attack and release times that were well in time with my music - for example i analyzed a kick and the release was 120ms - a 16th note of the tempo. The settings it came up with were really similar to the ones i would have picked. I am quite surprised by this..no idea how they did that (but that's me - i am no dev)

The price is also good. I did sign up for the 25% discount...don't know if that gives me discount on top of the intro price? Either way, def gonna get this.
All in all, this is awesome

BTW if anyone wants a cool tip - use this as a sidechain compressor on reverb returns - pure magic. This does the job so damn well.

Autogain bug in Logic 10.4.4 as well.

fl20 as well. so it is an overall bug i already reported

DavidCarlyon wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:30 pm [...] The price is also good. I did sign up for the 25% discount...don't know if that gives me discount on top of the intro price? Either way, def gonna get this.
It worked for me, David. Intro price minus 25%, it was $49 for me (though initially they apply VAT%, it's gone once the purchase is made -if, like in my case, the transaction is from the US with US $).
I'm liking it better by the hour.
best,
e.
“In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.”

escalona wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:06 am
DavidCarlyon wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:30 pm [...] The price is also good. I did sign up for the 25% discount...don't know if that gives me discount on top of the intro price? Either way, def gonna get this.
It worked for me, David. Intro price minus 25%, it was $49 for me (though initially they apply VAT%, it's gone once the purchase is made -if, like in my case, the transaction is from the US with US $).
I'm liking it better by the hour.
best,
e.

I think that was the pre-order but have you seen this?: Crossgrade at Plugin Boutique $64.50:

https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... ime-Offer-
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

Caine123 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:43 am im on work now and was pretty impressed by his examples here how well the comp set the values!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpBi3qhiDL4
It would have helped if the reviewer level-matched the examples. It's hard to determine from this if the compressor is doing a good job (on what is pretty well-behaved material in the first place) or just making things a bit louder and therefore seem a bit better.

Return to “Effects”