Fathom Synth Development Thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fathom Synth

Hey TrojakEW

You can always up load those to the Fathom Kvr product page.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

TrojakEW wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:21 am
AmbieticA wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:57 amSo like a Brass/String section
] Peter:H [ wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:18 amProbably this could be a spectral morph? Examples could be Meldas MMorph or to some extent the idea of the "spectral filter" in Thorn...
Do you have access to new features that we others don't have :hihi: No matter what I do I will not able to simulate this :lol: :lol:
My suggestion was meant to be a feature request...it's if you're completely spoiled by a Dev like Everett...who whenever you utter a crude idea into the forum get's it imlemented the other day ;-)
:hail:

Just wanted to say that having a spectral blending option between two sounds would be a good addition to the modules. :D
...which would help your patches probably.

:phones: Both Spectral Morphing and Modulator Segment modulation will be in Fathom 3.0 Extreme.

The Intel Vector Parallel code is now complete and I've started testing with the release build and can confirm that the speed multiply will be at least 5 X.

The speed increase only impacts detune voices, there is no difference for oscillators without detune. The difference is with AVX when you increase the number of detune voices above 2 there is no change in CPU load because all the extra detune voices are processed in parallel. So running 8 detune voices is the same CPU load as 2 voices.

:!: Last Chance to Buy Fathom Pro and get Intel AVX for Free.

All you mono users this is a good time to buy Fathom Pro. The Intel Parallel Processor will be free for existing users but new users will have to buy Fathom 3.0 to get it, which will be somewhere between $125.00 and $250, so there is about a month left to buy Fathom Pro and get in on the ground floor to get Intel AVX for free.

Make sure your Intel processor supports AVX2 or there will be no difference in speed on your system! Older Intel SIMD and AMD processors will also be supported in a later release.

FathomSynth wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:07 pm :phones: Both Spectral Morphing and Modulator Segment modulation will be in Fathom 3.0 Extreme.
Cool. :tu:
FathomSynth wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:07 pm The Intel Vector Parallel code is now complete and I've started testing with the release build and can confirm that the speed multiply will be at least 5 X.

The speed increase only impacts detune voices, there is no difference for oscillators without detune. The difference is with AVX when you increase the number of detune voices above 2 there is no change in CPU load because all the extra detune voices are processed in parallel. So running 8 detune voices is the same CPU load as 2 voices.
Even cooler. Most of my sounds use detuned voices. Let's see how it will change CPU consuption on my multi layer preset that kills my CPU now. Will send you all new presets shortly. Maybe today when I have time. Depends how long I will stay today at work :x. Most of my time I invested in strings presets and it still sounds average :P. Also you will hear that in that multi preset it cause rendom voice stealing when played chords. Like there is too much voices to handle :D .

FathomSynth wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:07 pm :phones: Both Spectral Morphing and Modulator Segment modulation will be in Fathom 3.0 Extreme.
FathomSynth wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:07 pm :!: Last Chance to Buy Fathom Pro and get Intel AVX for Free.

All you mono users this is a good time to buy Fathom Pro. The Intel Parallel Processor will be free for existing users but new users will have to buy Fathom 3.0 to get it, which will be somewhere between $125.00 and $250, so there is about a month left to buy Fathom Pro and get in on the ground floor to get Intel AVX for free.
In my opinion your product naming gets confusing.

- I bought Fathom, I guess it's now called Fathom pro? Or do I need new license for that?
- You were talking about Fathom Elite, it's now called Fathom Extreme? Sounds like some sportsgig, I like pro/adv. more.
- AVX for existing users, so we get Fathom 3.0 for free?

It would be more logical to use:
Fathom CM
Fathom Mono/Elements
Fathom
Fathom pro/advanced (with all the advanced stuff you were talking about)

RPH, so glad you are still here. I'm always glad to see the original users.

I admit multiple product lines is not ideal. However for business reasons I need the two price points. Fathom Pro at $32 and a product at $125+. I'm keeping the name Fathom Pro the same and the price the same so people who are happy with Fathom Pro do not have to deal with a name change or price change. That makes it less confusing for existing users.

Intel AVX Parallele processing will be included in Fathom Pro for free for existing users probably by means of a secret code.

Advanced features such as Sampler, Arpeggiator, Unified Oscillators, Spectral Morphing, Open GUI, All Metallic reflective UI, etc, will go into Fathom Extreme at the higher price point. However, existing users will have the option of applying ALL purchase amounts toward the extreme product plus a discount. This will include the original purchase price for Fathom Pro plus what ever amount they spent on all upgrades. And this will be deducted from the cost of extreme. The discount will be significant so existing user who have supported the product for so long will be ok with the process. The were also be a secret deal for KVR members only who already have Fathom Pro and have contributed to the thread enabling them to get Fathom X at no cost. But this will not be publicly announced.

The reason I need the $125 price point is as follows. The original plan was for Fathom to compete with the other major synths: Omnisphere, SynthMaster, Spire, Serum, Avenger, Dune, Thorn, etc. The very cheapest of those is SynthMaster which is currently around $125. The only reason Fathom Pro did not start at $125 is because the CPU lagged the other synths given it did not have parallel processing. So I did not feel it was fair to charge the same amount with the CPU at approximately 1/4 the capacity. However, with AVX working now Fathom's CPU is no longer a liability and is equal to or even faster than all the others. Also the features of Fathom is equal to or greater than the other synths with the exception of Omnisphere and Avenger. So a true competing product is now possible at the $125 price point which is equal to the cheapest of the competitors.

As we discussed earlier in the thread my strategy is based on the principal that the world needs the $32 price point so we don't want to lose that, thus the need for the two products levels.

Fathom Extreme will probably be called "Leviathan" appropriate since that is the nickname given to Fathom by Computer Music Magazine in their hardcover Fathom tutorials.

Your plans sound great :tu:

How's the progress with that group thing?

I haven't set it up yet.

I'll probably do that when we need to have a meeting about the Fathom Extreme deal for KVR Members and Pro Users.

I need to focus right now on testing and releasing the AVX processor.

Also, quick update, version 2.32 will probably be out this week.

I'm adding an option to perform buffer calculations in the UI thread.
This should completely eliminate all audio glitches when graph points and dials are moved.
Buffer calculations are spawned in a separate thread from the host GUI and performed offline.
Then when the buffer is ready the processor performs a hot swap immediately after a sample block
which takes zero time making it possible to update all buffers with zero processor lag.

This will be a quick release I want to get out before the AVX release because we are currently advertising and I think the audio glitches are really the only weakness in the mono release impacting a new user's decision to go pro.

FathomSynth wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:15 pm RPH, so glad you are still here. I'm always glad to see the original users.
Happy to be here Everett, I never left haha. I always watch this thread, but sometimes don't add to the conversations.
FathomSynth wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:15 pm I admit multiple product lines is not ideal. However for business reasons I need the two price points.
I understand that.
It was about the naming not about adding multiple productlines..that's OK of course. :tu:
FathomSynth wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:15 pm Fathom Extreme will probably be called "Leviathan" appropriate since that is the nickname given to Fathom by Computer Music Magazine in their hardcover Fathom tutorials.
That sounds much better then "Extreme" hehe. :-)

I will surely buy the advanced version of Fathom when it's ready, whatever the price will be. Count on that. :wink:

Cheers!

Rob

FathomSynth wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:15 pm Intel AVX Parallele processing will be included in Fathom Pro for free for existing users probably by means of a secret code.
So if we purchase Fathom now while on offer we'll get the AVX in a future update, so I'm assuming AVX isn't available now ?

Also how are you going to handle updates, will they paid versions like 1.0 to 1.9 would be free but 2.0 would be a paid update with 2.1 to 2.9 being free again ? And what pricing were you thinking ?

Also with regards to your naming schemes, why not just keep things simple and have a Fathom Pro and a Fathom Pro+ (the + is easy and simple to recognise that it will offer more than pro) ?

Yes, anyone purchasing Fathom Pro before the Intel AVX Parallel Processing release comes out will get AVX for free.

All Fathom Pro updates are free. There is an optional $5 upgrade product there for people who want to support the project, but it is always optional.

Pro+ is a good idea, however eventually the new features will be so massive that it really warrants a real synth name. Planned features include Video Card GPU Processing, Arpeggiator, Full Sampler, Analog Emulator, Spectral Morphing, Open GUI, Full Metal GUI with real time reflection graphics, Modulated Segment Times, Oscillator Partials increased from 400 to 1000, Unified Oscillators (ability to morph between any oscillator type in real time). AAX and Linux Support, etc.

Intel AVX parallel processing is now fully operational in my development build, however I still have a lot of testing to do, so it will be released in about a month probably less.
Last edited by FathomSynth on Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:53 am, edited 11 times in total.

Thanks for the info, just ordered, I did try the CM version but very briefly, I think a problem which is also equally a benefit is the complexity of the synth, it may just take longer for people to make a decision on whether to pay for the pro version

Thanks so much for your purchase! Every bit helps. Don't worry, I will continue always to support the product and add the planned features to the best of my ability regardless.

FathomSynth wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:22 pm Don't worry, I will continue always to support the product and add the planned features to the best of my ability regardless.
That's very reassuring to read. Thanks! (I'm on the current paid version of Fathom)

Does the CM version have anything worth keeping or can I delete that now I have Pro ?

Return to “Instruments”