Waves Bass Fingers VSTI

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thanks, since I've only begun with it, I need to figure out how to use the slide up/down fast/slow KS. I hope I don't have to map a KS each time I need to slide/up down from/to a specific note. Seems like this should be global for all notes/situations. Also wonder if slide speeds can be set or done with mod wheel or other. I don't see yet how hammer-ons/pull-offs can be done.
Is there/will there be an in-depth video tutorial for it?

Musical Gym wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:15 pm Thanks, since I've only begun with it, I need to figure out how to use the slide up/down fast/slow KS. I hope I don't have to map a KS each time I need to slide/up down from/to a specific note. Seems like this should be global for all notes/situations. Also wonder if slide speeds can be set or done with mod wheel or other. I don't see yet how hammer-ons/pull-offs can be done.
Is there/will there be an in-depth video tutorial for it?
You bring up a really good point.
The plugin doesn't really have slides "From Note X" and "To Note Y", only a bunch of fixed slides.

Now, the reason we didn't have them wasn't because we didn't want them (trust me, we did!), but because we couldn't find a way to do them well.

Personally I feel like most sampled instruments (ours included) didn't find the correct way to deal with slides in a way that really enables to you play naturally with them.

Modeled/Algorithmic basses did manage to that very well of course, but that's a totally different sound and 'feel' IMO.

So currently our best slide solutions are:
1. Use any of the fixed slider one-shots (there are a lot of them though).
2. Use chromatic legato with one of the more advanced legato modes (such as 'extended').

Funny as this sounds, since this is a fretted bass, just playing hammer on/pull offs across a few frets very quickly is actually quite similar so a slide - not exactly the same way of course. It only works if you pass in on all the notes, so an A to C "fake legato slide" would include Bb, B and C.

This 'dirty hack' only works at faster speeds though...

3. Use the pitch wheel which creates a synth-like bend which might work in some situations.

None of these is ideal, unfortunately...
Musician and audio plugins developer. https://www.modalics.com

Thanks a lot for details and tips on it.
Might be fun to do a comparison analysis with Trilian, Ample Bass P (w/and w/o midi guitar mode), a real bass, and some Kontakt bass libraries.
Mingling bass players...

Ooooh nice. Great companion for my Bass Slapper.

I think the ad tries a bit hard to be to be something for everyone, but it definitely has qualities I appreciate. Even as a bass player of 15 years this brings a new “exotic” bass color to my palette.

Can you guys implement pitch bend at least?
I'm finding the pre-made keyswitches for slides not very easy or intuitive to use.
I think being able to use pitch bend would be a lot easier.

Oh yeah (Yello) pitch bend would be super useful! I little vibrato would be nice too. But of course, if there's no vibrato, one can always sim some with a little gentle pitch bend action (if not "live", then through a control track).

Somehow pb is working now. I don't see where amount can be set. Will keep looking.
Modulation depth/rate can be set for mod wheel, but not sure if that's vibrato you are looking for.

Musical Gym wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:03 am Somehow pb is working now. I don't see where amount can be set. Will keep looking.
Modulation depth/rate can be set for mod wheel, but not sure if that's vibrato you are looking for.
Yeah, regular pitch bend is implemented and is fixed to +- 2 semitones ATM and mostly used for either small slider of manual vibrato.
Mod wheel is assigned to vibrato by default, but you can change that.

I've asked Waves to add the pitch bend range control which shouldn't be hard, so I hope they do it...
Musician and audio plugins developer. https://www.modalics.com

thanks!

Musical Gym wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:46 pm Can you guys implement pitch bend at least?
I'm finding the pre-made keyswitches for slides not very easy or intuitive to use.
I think being able to use pitch bend would be a lot easier.
You can actually customise the key switches. Pretty much any control you see in the interface can be assigned.

Personally I've never taken much time to master the art of key switching. It often means my hand needs to be either in two places at once, or that I need to be hitting that key just before the next note drops. That requires real coordination that I've never had the real time to develop. To keep things moving more quickly I generally opt to mock up with a simple articulation, then edit in the key switches later.

Appreciate the tip(s)/perspective, thanks.

Hi, finally I decided on Bass Finger, motivated mainly by the price tag. I want to install it on my small laptop but I am seriously limited in disk space, I know that BF comes with the option of a reduced library (SD) of approx. 2GB against 15 of the HD.

My doubt is, does the SD reduced library lose too much quality to use in medium-sized projects? like radio spots, good quality karaokes, high end backing tracks etc but not the "ultimate platinum disk" heaven, because if it maintains a decent quality it would be the perfect solution for me.
what dou you recommend?
Session guitarist and music producer from Venezuela
One of my old demos: (Scarbee and Overloud)
https://bit.ly/3mDq0D3

Jazzguitar wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:31 am Hi, finally I decided on Bass Finger, motivated mainly by the price tag. I want to install it on my small laptop but I am seriously limited in disk space, I know that BF comes with the option of a reduced library (SD) of approx. 2GB against 15 of the HD.

My doubt is, does the SD reduced library lose too much quality to use in medium-sized projects? like radio spots, good quality karaokes, high end backing tracks etc but not the "ultimate platinum disk" heaven, because if it maintains a decent quality it would be the perfect solution for me.
what dou you recommend?
Actually I don’t think you even notice the difference. Maybe if you really, really listened. The higher sample rate features frequencies well above our hearing so generally SD is fine.

Where I think HD makes a difference is if you want to use a lot of distortion it might help to prevent aliasing in the high frequencies, or if you want to do some pitch and time manipulation where the extra information will be beneficial. Another possibility is when more than one notes sound at the same time it causes some complex harmonic intermodulations. That interaction between the notes may also benefit from HD. But then again, you may not even notice it,

Return to “Instruments”