New Gibson 50's Les Paul Standards - Opinions?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I guess after all of Gibson's troubles from the past few years and with a new CEO this is the guitar that's going to turn things around for the company.

I have to say, it's looking good so far.

I got a Cherry Sunburst 50's Standard and it plays like a dream and looks great, although I suggest you see a photo of the instrument from the vendor if you can't view it in person, since the finishes are all unique and you may prefer one over another.

I'm not a collector and this is a studio and working guitar for me, although playing these classic Les Pauls live can be a pain, with the weight of it.

Any other opinions / experiences?

Shot of the 'Paul with my American Fender Telecaster.

Last edited by Radiophonic on Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I've always liked Les Pauls (owned a mid-70s custom years ago), but they do vary by year, that's for sure. It's not a perfect guitar, that's for sure, and they're not the easiest to keep in tune, but I do like the way they play, and I think the weight and balance make you play in a certain way that makes it a different experience from other guitars.

Haven't played a newer one, so can't comment on these particular models. I bought a decent Schecter a few years back, and that's my go to guitar for a solid body humbucker sound (although it's not as heavy as a Les Paul).

Hink? Where are you when a comment is needed... :hihi:

To be a horrible pragmatist, I love the *sound* of Gibbo LPs, and also how they feel. But I'm not gonna buy one unless it's a Studio. I really don't care much about bindings or looks.

Me and Gibson guitars is a lot like the stereotypical relationship people have with their in-laws:

You love the product. Not so much the producers.

While I am glad that Gibson is at least trying to step away from the precipice, there current efforts are still not enough to gain my confidence.

Anyway, you have some lovely guitars, I dig :)

EDIT:

Your gibbo strap looks a bit thin. I have found a nice thick strap really helps with the weight of an LP.

If the new line of series is supposed to be a new start, what has changed in the product? Give us some examples.

my first question would be, what is the mark up for the cost of bailing out gibson...I have already seen new guitars since the shit hit the fan for them that are starting at 6500 bucks...of course they boast exotic woods and finishes, still that is precisely what has had me turned off of gibson for all of my 48 years of buying/playing guitars. If I decide I want a les paul, which could be I would surely start with looking for a used epi
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

in my opinion gibsons are unabashedly overpriced and until they bring pricing into check and make them more reasonable for consumers they will continue to deteriorate. i am surprised they have lasted this long with only idiots buying them... but then again... the world is full of a LOT more idiots in the last two decades lol sadly fender followed gibson's pricing lead and are in a downward spiral too.
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

Thanks for the replies. Some interesting developments there. I hope they don't blow it.
Karmoon wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:05 pm Your gibbo strap looks a bit thin. I have found a nice thick strap really helps with the weight of an LP.
That's just the leather one that came with it. If I play live I'm going to strap it good.

Harry_HH wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:11 pm If the new line of series is supposed to be a new start, what has changed in the product? Give us some examples.
Price: £1,999 UK price ($2,499), which is pretty much what they used to be. Two grand for a new Les Paul Standard is what I expected in the old days.

Classic standard Les Paul: full weight, no pull-pots, no auto tuner, classic finish and style.

Gibson say they listened to what players wanted and made a decision to go back to the classic Les Pauls at the usual price. For me this is great because I couldn't buy a new 'normal' Les Paul standard anywhere until now. I certainly didn't want to spend several grand on a custom shop re-issue.

https://www.gibson.com/Guitar/USAUBC849 ... PS500HSNH1

Something else worth mentioning - what is it with UK retailers unboxing new guitars? I tried to buy a Les Paul Custom months ago and every one I chased down in the UK was out of its box, on display, with no price reduction. Instead I bought that Telecaster above. Impossible to buy a pristine unopened guitar in the UK it seems...

sometimes it to make sure they've travelled ok, or to give them a set up :shrug:
customs, it will be to show the custom job, not like "normal" where they will have several of the exact same guitar i guess.

nice pair of axes btw 8)

Radiophonic wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:40 pm

Harry_HH wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:11 pm If the new line of series is supposed to be a new start, what has changed in the product? Give us some examples.
Price: £1,999 UK price ($2,499), which is pretty much what they used to be. Two grand for a new Les Paul Standard is what I expected in the old days.

Classic standard Les Paul: full weight, no pull-pots, no auto tuner, classic finish and style.

Gibson say they listened to what players wanted and made a decision to go back to the classic Les Pauls at the usual price. For me this is great because I couldn't buy a new 'normal' Les Paul standard anywhere until now. I certainly didn't want to spend several grand on a custom shop re-issue.

Hi,

I asked that, because many user complained about quality problems, e,g. here:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=513447&p=7202443&hi ... n#p7202443

Are those issues settled now?

Harry_HH wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:11 pm
Hi,

I asked that, because many user complained about quality problems, e,g. here:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=513447&p=7202443&hi ... n#p7202443

Are those issues settled now?
Hi, yes I am aware of some quality issues Gibson had.

I can't answer for anyone else, but the new Les Paul Standard I received was pristine and perfectly finished. I got every penny's worth of two grand guitar.
AFAIK, these Les Paul 50's and 60's Standards are the first guitars new out since Gibson got a new CEO and I'm guessing that Gibson know how important these are to earning reputation.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”