FYI!! Melda SoundFactory ON SALE til JUNE 30

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
MSoundFactory MSoundFactory Sound Library

I was wanting to know how to set opening template. I can try to find out on my own, but if it can be told to me, that would help.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Dirtgrain wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:53 pm I was wanting to know how to set opening template. I can try to find out on my own, but if it can be told to me, that would help.
Gotcha! In the top right hand corner is the settings/activation button. Once you've made the changes you want (gui size for example), under the advanced settings section, click "Set default settings". The next time you open it, it'll open exactly how you last saved it.

For example, I'm used to Zebra, so I want to start right on the edit page. Once I've added any what I want it to default to, which in my case is to default to the generator tab and have the gui expanded with some other tabs closed, I would set that as the default settings. This way I don't have to constantly close/open the same windows over and over.

Let me know if this helps
Yo.

May just be me, but I'm finding it hard to make warm sounding patches, all a bit sterile sounding. Anyone got any tips for which combo of inbuilt melda effects could help?

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:36 pm May just be me, but I'm finding it hard to make warm sounding patches, all a bit sterile sounding. Anyone got any tips for which combo of inbuilt melda effects could help?
Unison, Saturation & Low Pass Filter.

Having said that, this is a digital synth in every respect. You are not going to get it to sound like (insert your favorite analog here) because it's not going to happen.

I use MSF for what it excels in and don't try to fit a square peg into a round hole. If you're looking for fat, warm analog, look elsewhere. This won't give it to you.

wagtunes wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:51 pm
WatchTheGuitar wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:36 pm May just be me, but I'm finding it hard to make warm sounding patches, all a bit sterile sounding. Anyone got any tips for which combo of inbuilt melda effects could help?

Having said that, this is a digital synth in every respect. You are not going to get it to sound like (insert your favorite analog here) because it's not going to happen.

I use MSF for what it excels in and don't try to fit a square peg into a round hole. If you're looking for fat, warm analog, look elsewhere. This won't give it to you.
Understood. Just wanting it less thin. I've had some joy adding external saturation in Saturn and some tube vsts, but obviously within the patches themselves would be best. Maybe I'm thrown to an extent by some of the resemblances to Zebra 2 (the lane view etc.). The preset naming scheme doesn't help. It was amusing for 5 minutes.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

ConvolutionEZ (or the other version?) has added warmth for me too depending on the preset.

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:27 pm

Understood. Just wanting it less thin. I've had some joy adding external saturation in Saturn and some tube vsts, but obviously within the patches themselves would be best. Maybe I'm thrown to an extent by some of the resemblances to Zebra 2 (the lane view etc.). The preset naming scheme doesn't help. It was amusing for 5 minutes.
Also slightly modulating the pitch, phase, etc on each voice and detuning a little bit should be helpful. There's quite a few tutorial articles and videos if you google "Analog in Massive" where people demonstrate techniques to make Massive sound analog. Most of those tricks should work for MSF as well.

Read your post and now am a bit disappointed about the sound of MSF.

I plan to use analogue samples in the Sampler to be released later this year. Yea, the analogue samples are converted to the digital domain but I hope this will be enough to get a "fat, warm analog" sound. I hope this will do the trick as I prefer the "fat, warm analog" sound of music.

Comments please.
Last edited by Kalamata Kid on Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Skandiluz wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:06 pm Let me know if this helps
Thank you very much. It works.

Kalamata Kid wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:42 am

I plan to use analogue samples in the Sampler to be released later this year. Yea, the analogue samples are converted to the digital domain but I hope this will be enough to get a "fat, warm analog" sound. I hope this will do the trick as I prefer the "fat, warm analog" sound of music.

Comments please.
It depends on what the sound engine does to those samples.

I'm not holding my breath.

wagtunes wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:52 am

Comments please.

I don't understand why you wouldn't be able to get a "fat, warm analog" sound out of MSF. You can modify the pitch, phase, saturation, filtering, and a zillion other parameters. You can use wavetables if you want to capture the slight variations of the waveforms themselves. What exactly is MSF missing that would prohibit you from getting this type of sound?

rlared wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:17 am

Comments please.

I don't understand why you wouldn't be able to get a "fat, warm analog" sound out of MSF. You can modify the pitch, phase, saturation, filtering, and a zillion other parameters. You can use wavetables if you want to capture the slight variations of the waveforms themselves. What exactly is MSF missing that would prohibit you from getting this type of sound?
Import a sample from an Oberheim OB-X and tell me if it sounds as warm and fat as an Oberheim OB-X.

And that's all I have to say on the matter.

wagtunes wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:23 am
rlared wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:17 am

Comments please.

Import a sample from an Oberheim OB-X and tell me if it sounds as warm and fat as an Oberheim OB-X.

And that's all I have to say on the matter.
Yeah I'm calling B.S. on that. A sample should sound exactly the same if it's sampled correctly. Now, if you're saying that that sample is then mapped across a range of notes and stretched, OK that might be a different story. But I'm talking more about the capabilities of the built-in oscillators to make "analog" sounding tones anyway, not the sampler.

A sample is a static snapshot of a sound. A synthesized sound may be different each time you hit the same key!
And what is the point if you can get a warm sound out of a synth, but need hours to tweak it into that result versus just having a warm sound from start?
Its also a matter of taste of course...

In an earlier comment regarding MSF I said that I consider it being a gimmick of no interest to me as a musician. That comment woke quite a bit of anger among the fanboys.

Sounds are, to some extent but not entirely, what colors are to a painter. Even though more colors allows more options it doesn't necessarily mean a better painting.

For a musician sounds are not the basic element of a composition. Other then as something audibly. The core element of a musical composition is - melody.

That is what makes a song memorable. Take any melody by Mozart. What instrument / sound ? It doesn't matter.

That said, it doesn't mean sounds are irrelevant. Just as colors to a painter are not irrelevant. But what really matters is the motif.

And so, here we've a tool that can tweak sounds into a sub-particle level. Here I can have one thousand rimshots. But what am I going to do with one thousand rimshots ?

Unsurprisingly nobody talks about MSF in terms of musicality or even as a musical instrument. It's all about technology. Where nobody lift their eyes above the tweaking of sub sub sub sonic particles - and views it from a perspective of it's purpose. Creating sounds. And lift their eyes above that - creating music.

Notably, nobody demonstrates any sound made by this thing. Even less so by illustrating the parameters used - that shows that the sound could only have been made with this thing. And even less so, but not surprisingly, nobody has came out with any music done with this thing.

Notably the waste majority of the fanboys do not make music. At least nothing they share in their profiles. And equally as many do not share any sounds either. It's just an obsession to technology without looking at it's core , supposed , purpose.

What matters to me is the motif of the panting and the skill it's made by. Not the chemical components of the colors.

To me, as a musician, it's the end result that counts. For that MSF doesn't change anything. Bartok made great music played on a ridiculously limited instrument as a piano. And so far non of the MSF sub-sonic-particle tweaking fanboys have not show up anything convincing (anything at all actually) that can only have been made thanks to MSF. Especially not musically. Especially not as an illustration that MSF makes any relevant difference, of any significance, to the - music.

Return to “Instruments”