How to record my electric guitar noise free and cheap?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The Noodlist wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:38 pm If possible, use a DI box into input 1.
That's what I'm doing. (Was away for a few days, so couldn't reply to suggestions in this thread - let's see what I can do.)

So look, with record input 1 enabled in my DAW, input 1 on the interface turned all the way down and nothing plugged in, I'm getting noise that averages at -55 to -50 dB, with peaks at -48 dB. The spectrum says that most of it is below 100 Hz (a bump that peaks at zero), with some noise above 100 that's basically flat across the spectrum. When I turn the input up (again, without anything plugged in), the noise above 100 goes up and whole thing peaks at about -42 db.

This is way too much, like I said above, if I have to use an amp sim vst - it's unworkable. Gates suck, etc.

BUT, I answered my own question by doing a further search on thomann. Looks like what I'm looking for is a recorder - such as those two:
https://www.thomann.de/intl/bg/denon_dn_300r_mkii.htm
https://www.thomann.de/intl/bg/tascam_sd_20m.htm

If you guys can recommend any other device - please do. Working out what's the reason for this noise I'm getting is an exercise that I'll do on my own, when I feel like wading through shit like this.

sounds like ground hum

AnX wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:35 pm sounds like ground hum
I thought so. But don't know how to remove it. Any ideas?

some di boxes have a ground lift button.
cheaper than a separate recorder which may have the same noise anyway unless it also has a ground lift circuit?

perfumer wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:42 pm
This should have been a case of elimination, testing permutations.
No cables connected, no guitar, different inputs, outputs, cables, instruments, monitors, headphones, interface I/O disconnected, different power sources, etc.

Buy a new interface.
Try a different USB cable and USB outlet.

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=50288
https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... 58688&f=24
Last edited by The Noodlist on Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.

vurt wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:49 pm some di boxes have a ground lift button.
cheaper than a separate recorder which may have the same noise anyway unless it also has a ground lift circuit?
Mine has a lift/earth switch and is set to lift.

Problem is, this is happening AFTER the DI box, the UR22 is powered via USB and the laptop is powered from the AC socket. So the noise gets in from the laptop. Like I said - getting picked up by the USB jack or somewhere else, but definitely AFTER the DI box. (Which runs on phantom power.)

The Tascam has a ground lift and is also powered by batteries, which I think should do the trick. And they say on their site that noise is below 100 dB.

well tascam are well renowned in the field so it should be good 8)
hopefully it will get you up n running, nothing more frustrating than not being able to noodle :(

|\/| _ o _ |\ |__ o
| |__> |(_ | \(_/_|

The Noodlist wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:50 pm
perfumer wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:42 pm
This should have been a case of elimination, testing permutations.
No cables connected, no guitar, different inputs, outputs, cables, instruments, monitors, headphones, interface I/O disconnected, different power sources, etc.

Buy a new interface.
Try a different USB cable and USB outlet.

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=50288
https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... 58688&f=24
Thanks for the links, noodlist! My problem is described in the first link, but I'm not sure if it's a problem of the UR only. I think it's also, or mainly, the laptop. That's where the second link comes handy, esp. the long post from Hugh Robjohns » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:00 pm. But I'll need some time to absorb this information and think it over.

What new interface would you recommend? I'm considering all options, including finding the source of noise and fixing it, if possible.

perfumer wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:14 pm What new interface would you recommend? I'm considering all options, including finding the source of noise and fixing it, if possible.
As mentioned earlier, DI ground lift.
Are you using monitors powered from a different power outlet?
Is phantom power off?
Balanced cables to monitors.

As for buying a new audio interface, there are many variables, price, format, I/O, portability. I'm sure you'll get some recommendations.
The Behringer USB models look interesting.
Last edited by The Noodlist on Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

perfumer wrote:Like I said - getting picked up by the USB jack or somewhere else, but definitely AFTER the DI box. (Which runs on phantom power.)
Have you tried turning the phantom power off? You don't need phantom power for a guitar, only for mics that need phantom power.

do you not have a jack input on the interface?

Forgotten wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:05 pm
perfumer wrote:Like I said - getting picked up by the USB jack or somewhere else, but definitely AFTER the DI box. (Which runs on phantom power.)
Have you tried turning the phantom power off? You don't need phantom power for a guitar, only for mics that need phantom power.
Some DI boxes can run off phantom power instead of a battery, Hi-Z on input 2 would be a alternative.
Last edited by The Noodlist on Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Noodlist wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:17 am
Forgotten wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:05 pm
Some DI boxes can run off phantom power instead of a battery, Hi-Z on input2 would be a alternative.
Yes, I use it for the DI.

After some tinkering, I found that the power supply for the laptop gives 10 dB of noise, the USB hard drive another 8. Removing those and running on batteries brings overall noise to -70, but the ground hum still remains (laptop functioning as antenna, as was explained in the links). Using steep lowcut filters in Pro-Q brings the noise down to -80 db. That's quite good, could I work with that? We'll see in the next few days. The Tascam recorder looks tempting, though, I was really starting to think about it. We'll see about this too...

Someone here solved their UR22 issues, with pictures.
A Power Conditioner might be a worthwhile long term investment.
Last edited by The Noodlist on Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Production Techniques”