Motor Synth

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

In short, my opinions are the pearls and you are the pig :lol:

So you have nothing? Just as I thought. It's nothing more than a ridiculous gimmick designed to lure people who aren't big thinkers and prefer something cool to something useful.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:50 pm So you have nothing? Just as I thought. It's nothing more than a ridiculous gimmick designed to lure people who aren't big thinkers and prefer something cool to something useful.
Like ridiculous, ludicrously expensive Oakley OTT's?
"Its my firm belief that its a mistake to hold firm beliefs"
https://soundcloud.com/biomechanoid

BONES wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:19 am Why? It's such a stupid concept, like something that came out of a late night drinking session.
:lol:

Wouldn't be surprised if it was like that. :P

ChaosWyrM neatly summarized everything that I’ve thought about the Motor Synth. Sadly, each of their products could be described as novel but near misses. I’ve seen a lot of complaints about their Plus Pedal not looping neatly without a glitch. The comments about their Plasma Pedal have almost universally been that it looks amazing but that everyone hates the actual distortion tone it generates. I love quirky and novel means of generating sound, but the sound has to be there too, not just the novelty.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

I put zero value in the means of creating sound, beyond usability. At this stage of synth development, quirky is almost certainly going to mean useless because most of the useful things have been mainstream for a long time. There are one or two things I think deserve more attention than they get - Casio CZ style phase distortion and Korg's Ai2 synthesis as used in their 0!/W range of synths in the 1990s - but mostly they are just dead-ends.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:19 am I put zero value in the means of creating sound, beyond usability. ...
when i was a lad , we would affix clothespins to the forks of our
bicycles , to project playing cards into the spokes of the wheels ...

sounded just like we were riding motorcycles ...
'struth ...

chaosWyrM wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:12 pm direct from the website:

Secondly, specially designed reflective optical disks have been attached to the shafts of each electromotor. Each disk contains a graphical representation of three standard audio wave-shapes. As the electromotors spin, the disks are set into circular motion, and each wave-shape is read by a dedicated set of infrared sensors, then converted into an audio signal. Thus, the wave-shapes on the reflective optical disks become precise musical notes, corresponding to the speed of the electromotors.[/i]
Thanks, had only seen the video when making my conjecture. It's a lot simpler than I imagined. So we've got variability in the motor speed, the physical aspect of the wave shape, and the accuracy of the infrared sensors. Would be a fun DIY project.

BONES wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:50 pm So
*Oink oink* 🐷

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”