AMD Ryzen 3rd gen. ZEN 2 processors for audio PC

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is this high-end enough?:
http://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/13495867

Single-Core Score

Multi-Core Score
"A pig that doesn't fly is just a pig."

Meanwhile, a burst of enthusiasm shocks the blue team.

"A pig that doesn't fly is just a pig."

Scotty wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:04 pm
chk071 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:55 pm Not that i'd think someone really into this stuff would opt for anything less but real high end. Which you won't find in AMD. Again, good budget solutions. Nothing anyone who wants to build a monster PC would want to choose.

Nope.. no one. And they have a announced a 64 core monster for 4th quarter of 2019 or first quarter of 2020.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/antonyleat ... 4b32311675
I'm frequenting some hardcore gamer forums. Trust me, noone there chooses AMD. Absolutely noone.

Again, not that they don't build good products, or aren't interesting for people on a budget. It's just that they don't kick anyone's ass. Really. Noone's.

chk071 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:28 am
chk071 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:55 pm Not that i'd think someone really into this stuff would opt for anything less but real high end. Which you won't find in AMD. Again, good budget solutions. Nothing anyone who wants to build a monster PC would want to choose.

Nope.. no one. And they have a announced a 64 core monster for 4th quarter of 2019 or first quarter of 2020.

I'm frequenting some hardcore gamer forums. Trust me, noone there chooses AMD. Absolutely noone.

Again, not that they don't build good products, or aren't interesting for people on a budget. It's just that they don't kick anyone's ass. Really. Noone's.
Life is short. Have a good one.

"No one" is two words.

Noone is a musician https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Noone

---------------------

I'm interested in how well Ryzen 3rd gen perform in Cubase. My i5 4690 is beginning to age..

From the early charts, single core performance for the i5 level Ryzen 3600 CPU is close to the current i7 8700 CPU -- an entire category above. While multi core performance is greatly more than the Intel's own (likely due to the architecture and 'hyperthreading'). The 3600X (tier above the 3600) should do even better.

So much is it a concern, it appears, that Intel has recently lowered the price of the i5 9600k by 30 dollars here in the USA. (note the intel processor doesn't come with a heatsink+fan while the AMD chips still do -- that's another 20-30 dollars to buy a basic one)

I'm not really into arguing A vs B brands, but this is the first time since Athlon64 days that AMD has announced a processor that interests me for a build. The value in price versus performance, at least pre-release, looks impressive to me and I'm interested to see more information. Specifically, interested in seeing how well they perform in a DAW environment.

chk071 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:28 am

AMD chips are great for gaming, you get more cores for less money. Thanks to a heavy emphasis on multi platform development, most games are GPU bottlenecked rather than CPU bound.

For music production we have still yet to see what Zen2 low latency performance is with small buffers. The previous generation had problems with this, as well as mediocre single core performance.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

What AMD chipset is supporting Thunderbolt3/USB4? Wait till 2020?
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

standalone wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:05 pm Meanwhile, a burst of enthusiasm shocks the blue team.

:D

electro wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:36 am What AMD chipset is supporting Thunderbolt3/USB4? Wait till 2020?
Check some pages back viewtopic.php?p=7414258#p7414258

v1o wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:17 am For music production we have still yet to see what Zen2 low latency performance is with small buffers. The previous generation had problems with this, as well as mediocre single core performance.
Yes this is what we need to firm up. The preliminaries indicate that AMD have a tremendous series of processors for gaming, streaming and video content creation but low buffer support and good single core performance is especially important for audio. My expectations and pure speculation is that Intel ( on a equal dollar per CPU basis) will still be better for low latency support at and below 128 samples but AMD will have improved enough that we can still track a ton of tracks at 64 and 32 buffers so that it won't be an issue for most of us.

For my workflow I only need to live track about 20 to 24 audio tracks at 64 or 32 samples and then I can increase my buffers and build my mix. This is where having all those extra cores will be helpful especially for vocal production which is really hungry for CPU.

If we can get an all core clock of 4.2 ghz with the 12 or 16 core versions of the CPU with the documented IPC improvements that have been reported and the Windows scheduling improvements that have been announced (which will help all past and current Ryzen CPUS), we have reasons to be at least cautiously optimistic. I am hoping that we will experience good single core performance , superior multi-core performance with much improved small ASIO buffer support. Of yes and the price! Fingers crossed.

FWIW I replaced a couple of Xeon based DAWs that never gave me any problem in their many years of service,with a couple of Ryzen 5 2600's with AsRock B450 Pro 4 MBs and 16 GB of 3200 Corsair ram etc...

I used the old dual DVI video cards and the HDs - SSD boot disc...

Running Win 7 Pro x64 and it's working fine...

There's enough number crunching for what I need and to get that @ 65 watts is pretty cool...literally...

No need to buy a fancy cooler or to generate excessive noise or heat in the studio...

When I looked at the benchmarks comparing the old Xeons to the Ryzen 2600,it was a no brainer....

The CPU market is certainly a polarized one,but AMD have made a real impact with this new series of chips, because the truth is that the're very impressive...

I'm into Zen so it was an easy decision :wink:
No auto tune...

chk071 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:54 pm
gael_ wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:37 am
chk071 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:09 am Yeah, because AMD has always been a good option for budget, not performance. How do they kick Intel's ass then? :nutter: Even though you can see from the benchmark table that the 3600 isn't on the same level as the i7-9700K anyway. So, not sure why you compare those.
Well you can clearly see on the benchmarks:

Intel 9700k:

Single-Core Score
Multi-Core Score

Ryzen 3600:

Single-Core Score
Multi-Core Score

So yeah the comparison is valid. I too am interested in the Ryzen 2 series, and to how Intel will react.
The single core performance (which is always AMD's achilles heel nowadays) isn't at all up to par. It's also the thing which is most important for audio applications.

Kicking ass. How exactly?
FWIW. I am also doing research into a AMD ryzen based system. Mostly because I like to support the underdog and feel competition is a good thing in the capitalist system and market place.

What is the concencus of the single core vs multi core debates and music systems? On another forum I frequent, a mod states clearly multi core and hyper threading is very important on a computer used for making music. The system runs DAWs and VSTs and effects -- it needs to be able to spread those workload across different dedicated cores.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

Article is behind a paywall but the heading and first sentence say it all:
Intel to slash desktop processor prices by up to 15%
Monica Chen, Taipei; Joseph Tsai, DIGITIMES
Friday 21 June 2019

Intel is planning to cut prices of its eighth- and ninth-generation desktop processors by 10-15% and has already notified its downstream PC and motherboard partners, according to sources from motherboard players.
https://www.digitimes.com/news/a20190621PD205.html

Competition appears to have a pleasant side effect for the consumer...

Telecode... I think it depends on a lot of variables. Some plugins don't benefit as much as others with multicore... NI Reaktor comes to mind where clock speed, all other things being equal, makes the difference. For my workload where I do a medium sample based stuff and heavy guitar, drum and vocal chains, multicore is essential (unless I bounce audio ) especially when I start laying and doubling. I am hoping that we can get a good mix of worlds with an all core performance of 4 or 4.2 ghz (or more) and 8, 12 or 16 real cores (+hyperthreading).

Scotty wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:52 pm Telecode... I think it depends on a lot of variables. Some plugins don't benefit as much as others with multicore... NI Reaktor comes to mind where clock speed, all other things being equal, makes the difference. For my workload where I do a medium sample based stuff and heavy guitar, drum and vocal chains, multicore is essential (unless I bounce audio ) especially when I start laying and doubling. I am hoping that we can get a good mix of worlds with an all core performance of 4 or 4.2 ghz (or more) and 8, 12 or 16 real cores (+hyperthreading).
Thats the impression I am getting as well. I am currently looking into what are basically considered budget entry level gaming laptops. Mostly because I dont care about the dedicated graphics performance. I just care about the 16gb ram and Ryzen 7 or Intel i7 cpus on them. So will find a casing thats fairly pain free to crack open and upgrade the storage when needed.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”