Is Komplete 12 Ultimate CE worth it over 12 Ultimate?

Buy and sell, post special offers, group buys, etc. NOT product announcements.
luckyal
KVRer
4 posts since 9 Nov, 2018

Post Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:40 pm

Looks like NI's Summer of Sound Sale includes an upgrade offer for upgrading from Kontakt to Komplete 12 Ultimate for $500. Instead of doing that, I've been trying to find a Komplete 2-12 version to buy so that I can get the Collector's Edition at the same $500. I have been largely unsuccessful so far and don't want to miss the 50% off sale on my upgrade now. Is the Collector's Edition worth the trouble and if so any recommendations so I can stay within the budget and keep my wife. :)

Kevin63101
KVRist
335 posts since 30 Apr, 2008 from St Louis, MO

Re: Is Komplete 12 Ultimate CE worth it over 12 Ultimate?

Post Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:56 pm

Trying to decide the same. KU12 CE version adds a ton of expansion packs plus full version of Symphonic Collection (instead of cut down essential version). I have full woodwinds I bought from that collection and they're really nice.

I'd say if you like expansions or need orchestral collection, it's probably worth extra $200 over just KU. Note you'll also need a little under 1TB space for everything ... and download time.

That said, I tend to use third party kontakt libraries or other products as much or more than Komplete. Basic komplete offers a ton if you don't already have it ... and additional content may or may not be best for your needs. Buying this will not cure wanting more.

There will be another upgrade sale in a year or so ... maybe keep busy with basic and upgrade to KU 13 or 14 in the future ... and buy a few other products as finances allow. And save your marriage.

Gosh I'm going to miss my wife ... :lol:

thesuzukimethod
KVRist
35 posts since 26 Apr, 2018

Post Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:11 pm

I was in the same quandry. If you aren't interested in the symphony series, it's a lot harder to recommend CE over regular ol' ultimate. I was interested in the Symphony Series, and did a lot of hand wringing trying to decide.

The add on expansions are a nice bonus, but there's some stuff in there i will never use, along with a larger pile of things i'm not sure if i'll use. I would say, if you have any of the Maschine hardware, the giant pile of expansions might be a bigger draw. for me it was the icing not the cake (symphony series = cake, haha).

*i had looked into just upgrading to the symphony series from either an upgraded ultimate, or from my K11 license...neither was as cost effective as just buying the CE. It helped that I had picked up a few pieces from ultimate a la carte (Razor, E Sunburst) that I sold to offset my CE cost.

It also helped that I was upgrading from K11 regular to K12 U (or CE) so I got a decent pile of additional stuff along with the symphony series and expansions (all included in K12 U, i just point out that it felt like more, even if most was available on the less expensive upgrade...).

As for pathways, I picked up a copy of K11 select (on the forums here?) for cheap, and used that as an upgrade path to K11 regular during the last 50% sale, and then did the CE upgrade this 50% sale. this spread out the total cost and there wasn't one big charge on the c-card, plus this modular approach means you can sell off one of the top level upgrades and keep your core. (my understanding anyway)....my plan was to see how much i used the K12 CE content, and if i decided it wasn't that great, to roll back to K11 by selling my upgrade second hand.

talboot
KVRist
69 posts since 31 Oct, 2018

Post Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:02 pm

nvm

shenrei
KVRer
25 posts since 2 Oct, 2005 from Northern California

Post Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:50 pm

I upgraded from K11U to K12UCE, mainly because I wanted the expansions (I use the HW Maschine a lot and I enjoy the expansions). If you do not use Maschine, nor do you make the type of music with the sounds the expansions provide, then no, I would not say it is worth it. However, if you like those kind of sounds, then it is a great deal (it was for me), especially with the summer of sound discount.

Skandiluz
KVRist
96 posts since 18 Aug, 2016

Post Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:11 pm

shenrei wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:50 pm
I upgraded from K11U to K12UCE, mainly because I wanted the expansions (I use the HW Maschine a lot and I enjoy the expansions). If you do not use Maschine, nor do you make the type of music with the sounds the expansions provide, then no, I would not say it is worth it. However, if you like those kind of sounds, then it is a great deal (it was for me), especially with the summer of sound discount.
This was my thought process too. For the extra $200, I was able to get a lot of the expansions I've been meaning to buy over the years with the additional symphony series, which for my needs works out great.

luckyal
KVRer

Post Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:59 pm

Lots of good input, thanks guys! I don't have Maschine but I do have the Komplete Kontrol S88. I got Komplete Select that came with it. Really the only things that I'm interested in the latest version of Kontakt and the expansion libraries such as Guitars, Pianos, Drums, and other organic type stuff. Thought about buying those separately come Black Friday sale, but when you count up all of them, even at 50% K12U at $500 seems like a better deal.

nathanj
KVRist
296 posts since 23 Mar, 2013

Post Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:51 pm

Shouldn't this be moved to the Instruments forum?

shockedfrog
KVRer
16 posts since 3 Jan, 2019

Post Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:33 am

From what I've read, your S-series keyboard license is a valid base product for the Komplete 9 and 10 Crossgrades, and Select can be upgraded to K11/12 - either way it means you have the option to sell your Kontakt license which should make it easier to meet the budget. It would mean a little more hassle down the line if you want to sell the keyboard and keep Komplete, but that shouldn't be a big deal.

Kevin63101
KVRist
335 posts since 30 Apr, 2008 from St Louis, MO

Post Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:58 am

After much consideration, I ultimately went from K9 to K12 Ultimate.

I skipped collectors edition since:
- not interested in expansions
- K12U has symphony essentials
- already own full Symphony woodwinds
- have many 3rd party HQ strings and brass
- my use of orchestral instruments is for prog rock or enhancing rock/pop/acoustic not cinematic soundtracks or classical. But I do like deeper tools.

Big decision since I'll probably sit on my win7 pc for quite a few more years (I7, 16 GB ram, 8TB of storage). I dread installing/authorizing all I own, so I'm maxing out while products are still compatible with Win7. Plus I love CA Alchemy 1.5 which may not make a transition.

I am glad I ordered a USB harddrive version. It took a bunch of looking around as most US vendors are back ordered until July (found mine at B&H photo). Many others did have collectors edition on usb harddrive.

Curious what version OP decided to buy ...

luckyal
KVRer

Post Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:27 pm

Honestly, I'm still on the fence. I'm leaning toward K12U. Like I said before, I don't really care about synth stuff. I care mostly for organic sounds. I almost feel like upgrading to Kontakt 6 from Kontakt 3 and then just buying Session Guitarist and all the other stuff during Black Friday sale makes more sense. My upgrade would be $50.

martinjuenke
KVRAF
3915 posts since 28 Dec, 2015 from Hanover, Germany

Post Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:34 pm

Kevin63101 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:56 pm

Gosh I'm going to miss my wife ... :lol:
Picture please!
Flowing atmospheric music
http://www.sonoryth.bandcamp.com/music

agharta
KVRist
316 posts since 10 Jan, 2018

Post Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:05 pm

I was on the fence also.
But I bought with an eBay 10% voucher so the difference between them was then only £72.
Seeing as I had six Maschine Expansions that I sold for ~£120 I am £50 better of with the CE plus I have all the extra expansions thrown in.
The Symphonic Collection full version is a bonus and will reduce the possibility of buying something similar.
I do like the extended articulations that the full versions of symphony libraries have and look forward to exploring those.
I'm moving from K10 Ultimate so it will take me a long time to catch up with all the new stuff.
They have released some interesting things since K12 came out but those won't be bundled until K13U which isn't due for a 1st sale for another two years I reckon.
Just hope that the CE Update pricing is reasonable.

Elektronisch
KVRAF
3259 posts since 3 Feb, 2010

Post Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:04 pm

If you are not interested in Symphony Series full or have maschine where you could use the expansions then its not worth it.

Even tho i was happy 90% of the time with Symphony Essentials it felt a little bit too wet in most of scenarios, but because i have played before Symphony Series Full demo i knew sounds (especialy the strings) can be more in front and more dry and fuller by switching ensamble mic positions wich fixed the "issue" therefore i wanted for quite some time go get it, so went with the CE upgrade.

Also in SE essential strings the ensamble is smaller a bit. By the size and sound of Essentials it is likely that it might be A or B division (single).

15cr34m
KVRist
157 posts since 22 Nov, 2016

Post Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:42 am

I'm planning to buy Komplete 12 Ultimate on the next sale. Will I get serial keys for all plugins and libraries separately or it will be one key for whole bundle?

Return to “Sell & Buy (+Special Offers, Deals & Promos)”