Which DAW for sketching out ideas fast (and easy)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

thecontrolcentre wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:17 pm
Distorted Horizon wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 1:38 pm
Aloysius wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 1:18 pm Much easier than learning two applications at once.
I use 4 daws :oops:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp5sXbuBUKs

I love the Session View in Live for getting ideas down quickly and easily ...
:lol:

But seriously.. Reason is a playground which always sparks some ideas, bitwig has session view, FLS is.. well.. FLS and Reaper is a workhorse that has all the tools or functions one might need. Different tools for different sets of mind.

crimsonwarlock wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:30 pm

That takes one mouse click to set a midi clip to replace/overdub mode instead of takes. The use of takes in my setup is to prevent you from loosing stuff when at the end of your loop and you like what you have, the loop restarts and you overwrite what is there. The takes make it possible to have a loop that records over and over again until you get it right, but then keep that last one you just did while the loop still starts to record over.
Yes, I knew what takes are, but if we want a super easy peasy sketchpad takes are not needed.

I have now managed to record 3 tracks in loop mode after spending ages finding out how to do simple things. It seems to me that Justins brain thinks "what would be the easy way ?" and then ignores that and goes on to find a hard way with an action.

As an example, Tracktion has a menu item "return cursor to start position when play stops". A few seconds in the compact options menu and its job done. Reaper defaults the cursor to where play stops, and does not have a menu item to override this. So its another google search, and half an hour later I have made an action to do this very simple thing.

dellboy wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:31 pm and half an hour later I have made an action to do this very simple thing.
Of course you export your settings now and put that file in a safe place, so that if you have to install your OS and Reaper again, you don't have to do those minor tweaks again? ;)

johnwoo wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:38 pm Best way to sketch a song is ... an hardware workstation ... I have like everybody else Reaper and Studio One , but at some point , I start to lose time , searching for presets , the right drums etc... With workstation the flow is there , drums , bass , lead , arps and drum tracks , computer good , but slow in my opinion ... hardware workstation (any) fast and easy ...
My 2 cents ...
YES! I never worked faster then back in the old days where everything was hardware and the only thing I did on a computer screen was running sequences on Atari with Cubase.

And this is the exact place where I'm getting back now. Not by returning to hardware but by creating a hardware-like workflow. Using a Komplete Kontrol keyboard brings most of the stuff you say (selecting presets, drums, etc.) and the custom actions in Reaper called from the keyboard means that I can work on the keyboard as if it is a workstation. I only need to move to Reaper on the computer screen when I'm starting arranging and doing edits, where the computer has the obvious advantage over a workstation.

Especially integrating DAW functionality into a MIDI controller keyboard, and getting that 'workstation' experience, is where Reaper shines. I can't think of another DAW that can manage this. It is a clear use-case for the endless tweak-ability that many people hate about Reaper but also many people completely love about it (including me obviously :D ).
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

Distorted Horizon wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:14 am
Of course you export your settings now and put that file in a safe place, so that if you have to install your OS and Reaper again, you don't have to do those minor tweaks again? ;)
No, not yet, thanks for the reminder

Also, I have found a theme I can live with that makes Reaper look half decent and needs backing up - "Janne 2016" :)

crimsonwarlock wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:27 am

YES! I never worked faster then back in the old days where everything was hardware and the only thing I did on a computer screen was running sequences on Atari with Cubase.

I can trace back to the point that my previously fast workflow slowed to a crawl, and that was when I bought the Atari running Cubase.

Previous to that I had a Roland D20 and songs could be saved to floppy.

Then I upgraded to a Korg M1 and became fast at using the onboard sequencer.

But once you get into Computerville with all its continuous upgrade options and new things to learn everything slows downnnnnnnnnnn. :hihi:

dellboy wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:13 amI have set up a template with ten tracks with a different instrument on each track. I made and assigned virtual midi inputs to each track. This allows changing tracks using a keyboards midi channel setting. Make a four bar loop and hit click and record.
Sounds like a hassle. In Orion you don't have to worry about MIDI channels unless you want to, the MIDI input goes to the currently selected instrument by default.
The sequencer can run without recording anything to a track.
Ditto for Orion, especially in Pattern mode but also in Song mode.
I have tried to replicate this very simple workflow on Cubase - Studio One - Sonar - Live without success, although I will keep experimenting to find a way.
I can't see that this would be problem in Cubase, although it's not something I've specifically tried. Where does it fall down?
dellboy wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:36 amI agree that such a workflow is possible in Reaper after spending hours setting up templates - but in Tracktion it can be accomplished at the default level (almost).
In Orion there is no "almost" about it.
It takes a bit of head scratching to setup the virtual midi inputs and midi filter channels, but once done you are away.
None of that in Orion, either, it's just the application's standard workflow - start it and go.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I've already stated in an earlier post that I use Orion as my sketch pad and Studio One as my main DAW. I own FL Studio and Tracktion , but don't often use them. Bones does a better job as a advocate for Orion and Studio One speaks for its self. Something I learned along the way is the biggest enemy to speedy workflow (regardless of DAW) is excess. Having too many options is a huge drawback. IMHO the quality of your music does not increase with the quantity of tools( Instruments or FX). I've found that I finish more songs if I stick to the live band formula. Basically that means six tracks. Lead, rhythm, bass, keys, drums, and vocals. That doesn't mean they have to be guitar driven or traditional instruments. They can be synths or any instrument, but figure out what instruments you'll be using for each and don't be tempted by the limitless options available. This also makes mixing much easier. I'm sure I'm not telling you anything new or ground breaking. Even if your style is the " wall of sound" it's easier to add to the six basic tracks than trying to juggle 10,20, etc. tracks from the start.

Karma_tba wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:35 am Having too many options is a huge drawback.
Having a lot of options can be a barrier when you are learning how to use a DAW. But when you are 'at home' with your chosen DAW and know what you are doing, a lot of options is definitely not a drawback :D
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

BONES wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:25 am
The sequencer can run without recording anything to a track.
Ditto for Orion, especially in Pattern mode but also in Song mode
Seems to me that goes for almost any DAW. I can't think of a DAW that can only run sequences or patterns in record mode.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”