Do Over - the Essentials

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm sure there must have been a thread like this already, but a search didn't turn it up.

I've bought tons of soft synths over the years, but find that there are a lot I don't really use.
Some rarely, and others almost never.

If I were starting today with what I know of my usage,
I would only get Absolute, Matrix 12V, SynclavierV, and Largo.

How about you guys?

It’d be what I now have after trying many many out. It's actually a bit hard to not buy more and get back to where I was. But so far I'm resisting.

Repro
Diva
Hive
Legend
Omnisphere
Kontakt

Hardware: SE-02

Logic Pro (incl. Alchemy) (and perhaps NI Komplete Standard)
Last edited by martinjuenke on Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quite the same as vitorcorleone123, with Monark instead of Legend, and adding TAL U-NO-LX (so much love for this one) + Serum/Massive to the list.

But I'll take it from the other side, the ones I've bought and never use:

Arturia V collection 4 (except for Matrix 12V - still I'm considering updating for the new synths and the larger GUI, being the main issue in v4)
Lush-101 - Liked it at the beginning, but can't find any use to it, regarding what I already have. Still like the vowel filter though.
Synthmaster - Keep it for the "can-do-everything" aspect, but never really clicked with it.
Most NI reaktor based synths that came with Komplete (Spark, Rounds, Kontour, Prism) - Couldn't even say anything about them. I just never understood what they do, nor why I would need them :D
Soundcloud - Synthwave & More https://soundcloud.com/canapelee

I love thinking bare bones

I can do almost everything with Avenger and Dune, with a bit of Aruria help, and Kontakt of course.

The rest are "luxury synths".

A bit like having super subs in a footy match :)
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

I don't really think of it that way. I have a bunch of instruments, but I still pick them up once in a while, so it's good to have something that inspires me differently.

There might be certain instruments that I spend a lot of time on, but it's always good to have others that I can get back to and be pleasantly surprised how much I like playing them.

All I really need would be the following:

Drums - BFD3
Guitars - Amplesound
Bass - MODO Bass
Synths/pads/effects/keys - Rapid
Other instruments like clarinet, violin, etc. - Samplemodeling/Audiomodeling
Vocals - Nectar 3
Other processing - Reaper plugins/various freebies (although I may spend money on a good set of mixing/mastering plugins in the future)

The rest was all wasted money, unfortunately.

twitewhite wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:34 pm The rest was all wasted money, unfortunately.
or valuable experience to bring you to where you are today, with the right tools.

I don't think anything would change starting over. I always try to get rid of anything I don't see myself ever using again.

vurt wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:36 pm
twitewhite wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:34 pm The rest was all wasted money, unfortunately.
or valuable experience to bring you to where you are today, with the right tools.
Haha, so true! I need a more positive attitude!

vurt wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:36 pmor valuable experience to bring you to where you are today, with the right tools.
:tu:

If I were starting over with software now but keeping my hardware, I might be tempted to go for a no-software-synths sort of thing. But more likely I'd run with:

- Serum (for wavetable editing for my hardware)
- LuSH-101 (favorite software polysynth)
- Aalto or Buchla Easel V, and Plogue Chipsounds -- not because I actually need them but just for the cool factor. (I love Aalto, but I'd lean toward BEV for its character; I can do the clean digital FM complex osc thing in ER-301 very well.)

For FX:
- Valhalla Plate & Delay
- TB Barricade & EQ4
- Presswerk
- Izotope RX6
- SpecOps
- FogConvolver
- mTransformer

That's considerably stripped down from what I have, but that plus the host's included FX, a few freebies and a couple of plugins I wrote, would cover everything.

Not sure whether I would stick with Maschine -- I know it really well, but its drum sampler / groovebox heritage is a little weird given when I do. Bitwig might be the smart choice.

I would be happy with an Omnisphere/VCV rack (or Softube Modular) combo

My top 5:
Avenger, Icarus, Diversion, Dune 3, Razor

plus Kontakt for acoustic stuff

Instruments:
Spectral
CrX4
kHs ONE
BioTek
Hybrid 3
Bass station
Xpand! 2
Kontakt
Native DAW Sampler
Reaktor (for everything in between & Modular)

Effects:
WarmVerb
PSP stompDelay
Phasis
Replika
H-Comp
DCAM FreeComp
The rest are all the native DAW effects

I am actually stripping down my setup, even though it is all freeware. Having a small but rounded set of instruments makes me that much more productive.

- Ragnarok.... for obvious reasons :-D

- PG-8x
- OB-Xd
- Dexed

Those three in hardware would already be a dream setup. Having that available for free as plugins is totally awesome.

- Tyrell N6 because it is the best sounding free synth
- Viking VK-1 because everyone needs some sort of Moog emu
- Synth1, just to round things out nicely
- Surge, for the more complex sounds, wavetable stuff, etc.

Of course I do have some other stuff laying around, but I tend to focus on the above setup.
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

Return to “Instruments”