Native Instruments Massive X Synth - Sequel to Massive (Out Now!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Massive Massive X X-Squared For Massive X

My question is quite simple...

How will Massive X help us to compose better music ?
No auto tune...

It won't just like the other 1000+ vsts we all own. :hihi:
:borg:

wagtunes wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:57 pm In this day and age where you can create a track and freeze it, does CPU usage really mean that much?
For me it does, I want the fastest Cpu I can afford to run as many Synths as I can in realtime without any freezing.
It matters and it means a lot to me :D

Calandria wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:42 pm
wagtunes wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:57 pm In this day and age where you can create a track and freeze it, does CPU usage really mean that much?
For me it does, I want the fastest Cpu I can afford to run as many Synths as I can in realtime without any freezing.
Yeah, it may hamper my inspiration if I suddenly find myself unable to throw instruments around without worrying about this kind of thing

digitalboytn wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:11 pm My question is quite simple...

How will Massive X help us to compose better music ?
It's so good. It will write Dubstep itself.

Sinisterbr wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:00 pm
Yeah, it may hamper my inspiration if I suddenly find myself unable to throw instruments around without worrying about this kind of thing
There are more reasonable/low CPU synths available already than you have weeks to live in your life. The only technical thing that actually matters with respect to CPU usage is that a synth can run on existing consumer CPUs. That it consumes all of one CPU is only an issue with respect to sales.

I hope that this synth is wildly successful and inspires other devs to close the book on outdated CPUs.

ghettosynth wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:10 pm There are more reasonable/low CPU synths available already than you have weeks to live in your life. The only technical thing that actually matters with respect to CPU usage is that a synth can run on existing consumer CPUs. That it consumes all of one CPU is only an issue with respect to sales.
I disagree. Performance is and should always be a consideration when developing software. Even more so with a synth, which has wide use in EDM genres. Sylenth1 isn't such a evergreen for nothing. I've seen one or two production videos where the producers said that they rather use Sylenth1 than Spire, because they can have so many instances of the synth.

I'm not sure why NI decided to make such a CPU hungry synth, if it is true. IMO, that makes more sense with analog modelling synths, than with something like Massive. If it consumes more CPU than Serum, then it's a bit off, IMO. Not sure if the target audience is really in for a synth where you can barely use 3 instances. I know that NI's stuff is very expensive recently, but, i don't know if it's really worth that. For example, NI Dirt is really nice, but... when a effect uses 3 times as much CPU as the synth it affects, then it's "Houston we have a problem" for me.

ghettosynth wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:10 pm
Sinisterbr wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:00 pm
There are more reasonable/low CPU synths available already than you have weeks to live in your life. The only technical thing that actually matters with respect to CPU usage is that a synth can run on existing consumer CPUs. That it consumes all of one CPU is only an issue with respect to sales.

I hope that this synth is wildly successful and inspires other devs to close the book on outdated CPUs.
I'm sure it will be successful hopefully like the Massive I bought years ago.
Closing the book on outdated CPUs is a natural progression that's already happening dictated by the demands of the consumers who want more and better. 32bit plugins are slowly disappearing, Windows 7 support ending,we're already seeing kontakt products that only work in Kontakt 6 and not 5 anymore so yeah, Things are changing. Outdated computers still bring in money though and as long as there is a bottom line for it, some manufacturers will (smartly) try and keep that part of their bottom line going too as long as it's technically and financially feasible to do so without compromising the direction they choose to take. It's smart business to address as many customers as they can. On the other hand, look at companies like Acoustica Audio who have always been unapologetic in their stance,"We make great,high cpu stuff and make no apologies. If you want our great stuff, get great stuff to work with." I can respect that too.
All about choices on both sides of the isle but at least we have choices.
Last edited by dblock on Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Again, I think this is a pointless subject. There is a place for both things in the market, CPU hungry and CPU light synths.

Massive 1 had a special place in the market. It was marketed as a Drum & Bass synth, and turned out to be THE wub wub machine for EDM genres. I definitely think they should have made it more light on CPU, if it really is that hard on it. It WILL have a impact on popularity and sales, you can be sure about that.

Sinisterbr wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:05 pm Again, I think this is a pointless subject. There is a place for both things in the market, CPU hungry and CPU light synths.
While I absolutely agree that there is a place for both things, it's not at all what the original post was about in the first place. It was simply about noticing something in a screenshot that I thought was worth commenting on. The subject just evolved and broadened out a bit,as it often does here, by people who don't find it pointless. What I do find is pointless is actually revisiting the subject you find to be pointless and again reiterating that you think it is pointless. :hihi: Most people just won't even bother but it's cool. We know where you stand. :)
Last edited by dblock on Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

dblock wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:02 pm Outdated computers still bring in money though and as long as there is a bottom line for it, some manufacturers will (smartly) try and keep that part of their bottom line going too as long as it's technically and financially feasible to do so without compromising the direction they choose to take, it's smart business to as many customers as they can. On the other hand, look at companies like Acoustica Audio who have always been unapologetic in their stance,"We make great,high cpu stuff and make no apologies. If you want our great stuff, get great stuff to work with." I can respect that too.
That's the point in question though, I disagree that it is smart for NI to compromise here. I think that NI has hit the sweet spot because there is a tangible and real feature (AVX) that allows them to hit what they, obviously, think is the right space in the market. If your computer is more than eight years old then maybe you aren't the target market for a firm that wants to lead the market.

In a few years, those who don't have new machines will catch up and NI will still have a market leading product.

To be clear, if NI is doing it, then the rest of the market will use that as an example much moreso than Acoustica, who is a rather more niche company.

chk071 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:09 pm Massive 1 had a special place in the market. It was marketed as a Drum & Bass synth, and turned out to be THE wub wub machine for EDM genres. I definitely think they should have made it more light on CPU, if it really is that hard on it. It WILL have a impact on popularity and sales, you can be sure about that.
I have Massive 1, and the only way I would use it was on eco setting as oppose to ultra and High depending on how much else was going on with the track so "If" Massive X is high cpu at the very least it should have that eco/high/ultra option.

ghettosynth wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:37 pm
dblock wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:02 pm Outdated computers still bring in money though and as long as there is a bottom line for it, some manufacturers will (smartly) try and keep that part of their bottom line going too as long as it's technically and financially feasible to do so without compromising the direction they choose to take, it's smart business to as many customers as they can. On the other hand, look at companies like Acoustica Audio who have always been unapologetic in their stance,"We make great,high cpu stuff and make no apologies. If you want our great stuff, get great stuff to work with." I can respect that too.
That's the point in question though, I disagree that it is smart for NI to compromise here. I think that NI has hit the sweet spot because there is a tangible and real feature (AVX) that allows them to hit what they, obviously, think is the right space in the market. If your computer is more than eight years old then maybe you aren't the target market for a firm that wants to lead the market.

In a few years, those who don't have new machines will catch up and NI will still have a market leading product.

To be clear, if NI is doing it, then the rest of the market will use that as an example much moreso than Acoustica, who is a rather more niche company.
Actually my quote was,"...as long as it's technically and financially feasible to do so "without" compromising the direction they choose to take." but I take your point.

V0RT3X wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:14 pm It won't just like the other 1000+ vsts we all own. :hihi:
:lol:
No auto tune...

Return to “Instruments”