Kithairon's YouTube thread

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i think the biggest problem in mixing is doing too much coke. also seems to apply to many Youtube presenters.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Thavma wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:03 am This forum has to get a "like and dislike" option on comments etc
That is the LAST thing that is needed. More useless opinions for people that like to pile it on.

True. Not a big fan of that. I'm on some forums which only have a "Like" option. Don't like that much either. It causes the same problems. People in to win the popularity contest, and, uncomfortable opinions, which don't get likes, but state the truth.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:12 am
vurt wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:23 am
Thavma wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:25 am
BONES wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:22 am
vurt wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:18 pmtake this as you will, but i cant stand the youtube thumbnails where people act for a photo.
Yep, that Andrew Huang dude pops up in my YT feed all the time but one look at the expression on his stupid face and I know I am never clicking on anything that dick does. (Of course, I am only assuming he's a dick because of that stupid expression on his stupid face. He might be a lovely guy with some genuine insights to share but I'll never know because I won't watch is videos.)
That's not good man, what if it was you , and your face there and someone posted this? You at least say that he might be a good guy and that's something. You maybe said this for fun...who knows
But I have a feeling, people on KVR want to diminish other people....
Especially very old members like 10-15-20 years longevity.... why? Actually what am I doing? the whole internet is f#@#$ up. too mean comments all over the internet, everybody wants to express his bad self and opinions (like me now) freely and anonymously. dislikes on good videos and so on, this sucks! can't handle this, I am a goodwill person, and I am so disappointed seeing these kind of comments and expressions. don't know what you think about this
its constructive criticism
their videos are more likely to be taken seriously if they just present good info without following the trend of those silly expressions
once that trend passes, those videos will look dated.
it's not personal against them, it's about that trend, they're just examples.
Are you talking about the op or Andrew Huang?
me? im not big on anyone that does the fake emotion face for thumbnails
im not saying they shouldnt show their faces in the video, if they're talking to camera, that's normal.

im also not saying they have stupid faces but they pull stupid faces in the photo.
show me the toy!

I don’t mind the YouTubers who are promoting themselves as a personal brand along with the content that they generate. Everyone needs to make a buck somehow, and if they can find a way to do it by providing useful, intelligent, and entertaining content, I’m fine with that. I don’t require every technology video to be dry, to the point, and devoid of all humanity.

I do have a few bones to pick with them, however. As they grow more successful, these people start to take on more sponsored content. It isn’t just that they have advertisers, but that the actual content of the show is driven by companies with products that they want featured and reviewed. Naturally, you’ll never see a critical review. If a reviewer doesn’t like the product they’re being paid to showcase, they’ll usually go over the features and demonstrate its use, without offering an opinion. The problem with this agnostic approach is that they are implicitly endorsing the product by choosing to review it, even if they don’t personally like it.

I’m also bothered when these YouTubers post lengthy videos featuring a product they’re using for the very first time, with no preparation. Why waste our time like that? Unless I’m totally desperate to get a first glimpse of a new product, I would prefer to wait for a demonstration by someone who actually knows how to work the thing. I won’t name names, but I got into it on the comments of one of these videos with an authoritative presenter who completely missed the point and failed to demonstrate the feature he thought he was demonstrating. What was more disappointing was that he refused to back down and admit his error, even after several other people jumped in to agree with my observation. I see that sort of thing all the time.

Since Andrew Huang’s name came up a few times, I’ll just say that I actually think he’s pretty good. He is technically knowledgeable, proficient on multiple instruments, actually went to music school, and knows how to make creative and entertaining videos. His music tends to be in genres I hate or at best can barely tolerate, but I feel that way about most mainstream music anyway.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

deastman wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:22 pm I don’t mind the YouTubers who are promoting themselves as a personal brand along with the content that they generate. Everyone needs to make a buck somehow, and if they can find a way to do it by providing useful, intelligent, and entertaining content, I’m fine with that. I don’t require every technology video to be dry, to the point, and devoid of all humanity.
yeah i totally agree with that, most of the things i watch are a couple of guys bantering about a product or more.
i think "knobs" is the only one that's not like that, he has his own thing going on, my main complaint with him is the cost from watching :cry:

vurt wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:28 pm
deastman wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:22 pm I don’t mind the YouTubers who are promoting themselves as a personal brand along with the content that they generate. Everyone needs to make a buck somehow, and if they can find a way to do it by providing useful, intelligent, and entertaining content, I’m fine with that. I don’t require every technology video to be dry, to the point, and devoid of all humanity.
yeah i totally agree with that, most of the things i watch are a couple of guys bantering about a product or more.
i think "knobs" is the only one that's not like that, he has his own thing going on, my main complaint with him is the cost from watching :cry:
Knobs... yeah, it’s funny how many people are copying his format now. And he’s cost me quite a bit of money too! The ironic thing is that he manages to take any arbitrary piece of gear and make it all sound like the same random glitchy guitar loops, in a way which makes me buy whatever he’s demoing, over and over again.
Last edited by deastman on Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

hypnotic :hihi:

Can't say I'm a huge fan of Andrew Huang.
Although in fairness he has just made a song with a horse who plays piano in the past hour (no, really).

Anyway, it's not like those audio mixing video 'producers' (YT hit seeking crack addicts) will ever compete against the top quality fare of two old men slogging it out in Coffee Chess club.
(They do too much stuff for sure - playing chess and trash talking for starters...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIICPnD-RfE&t=301s
Last edited by dark water on Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I’m a fan of Cuckoo.

Thavma wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:03 am This forum has to get a "like and dislike" option on comments etc
No.

like and dislike buttons are cancer to a forum.

They allow people to game the system and play to the gallery.

They alter the direction of discourse from off the cuff and original comment, to circle-jerk and echo-chamber incestuousness.

KVR might suffer a bit from its current make up in some regards (off the cuff and original comment), but it's what gives it longevity, in an internet space where forums are dying off, generally.

And by 'original comment' I don't mean thoughts that have never been thunk before, but just words that come from 'off the cuff' with no regard to pleasing others or scoring points.

But why stop there with having 'like and dislikes' - let's get a 'rep' system too!

That way we can all know who is 'hot' and who is 'not'.

A greater form of cancer again.

If someone takes objection to a post, or if someone posts information that is factually incorrect, there is every means available to correct that, with, you know, another post, calling out the shit.

KVR is fine as it is. It don't need no stinking like or dislikes or rep system.

Imho.

Apart from that, imagine the chaos that would ensue if one was put in place.

It's already the wild west here (as much as any forum in this day and age can be 'wild west') - the admins would not want to add to their grief and the greater chaos that would ensue from it. Again, imho. I might be wrong.

For better, for worse, KVR works. Why spoil a good thing?

Benedict wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:08 am marketers are often more concerned with showing how active they were instead of how effective they were.
What do you expect? Humans are phenomenally stupid apes. We're linguistically adroit ones, sure - but we form kakistocracies based who can tell the most stimulating stories and rationalize the most abuse/trauma/suffering.

We may be the dumbest thing this cosmos has ever spewn forth.

vurt wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:18 pm
imrae wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:46 pm
"Clickbait thumbnail face"

take this as you will, but i cant stand the youtube thumbnails where people act for a photo.
present good information, people will watch and share.
I know the thread kind of veered of into fun territory in the meantime, but +1 to this. It's a great way not to make me watch your video. There are actually some videos out there that have clickbait titles and turn-off thumbnails that are actually pretty good, but you'd never know from the preview.

Maybe there needs to be two version of each video; same content, but one with amazed presenter looking goofy titled "Top 10 Tips to Sound Like a Monsta Produser" and one with a thumbnail of some grey screens and knobs and stuff titled "Ducking and Gating Reverb to Clean Up Your Mix".

deastman is spot on with the observation that a video of someone not knowing how to use something isn't great entertainment. But some people get off on unboxing vids, so what do I know?

Aleatoriac wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:07 pm
Benedict wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:08 am marketers are often more concerned with showing how active they were instead of how effective they were.
What do you expect? Humans are phenomenally stupid apes. We're linguistically adroit ones, sure - but we form kakistocracies based who can tell the most stimulating stories and rationalize the most abuse/trauma/suffering.

And yet we can fly to the Moon and no other critters can. We are the most intelligent. Yet most capable of choosing not to use (or straight abuse) that gift. Our greatest strength is also our greatest weakness.

:-)

Aleatoriac wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:07 pm

You shouldn't think like that Aleatoriac, you are a very special human being with talents and unique abilities, no matter what others says or the "science". :hug:

Return to “Production Techniques”