2019 a year in gear (what have you/are you bought/buying?)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My Make Noise DPO arrived today :love:

I've owned other Buchla style complex oscillators, and built a couple in ER-301, so I'm very familiar with the concept... but this one is the complexest. :D I described it as "feral" elsewhere.

So far it's no good for dynamic FM (though I'm going to try running the modulator through a highpass filter and into the linear FM input, to see if that cleans it up). But I've got other gear for that. Getting cross-FM going between the two sides is beastly, with or without the ultra-weak "lock" softsync or regular hardsync, and the waveshaper is much more varied than any others I've tried.

It's going to take a lot of experience with it before I feel confident dialing a sound in, rather than just poking around and seeing what happens. But it's a really exciting module even without that knowledge. Lovely growls and chiminess and wobbliness, and crazy stuff with the squarewave output...

The latest for me is a uOrnaments & Crime, Instruo Harmonaig, and a Black Locust. That last one will come in handy with the Meris Hedra which also arrived yesterday. Also in modular land, I have preorders pending for the EME MIDI expander for the Eloquencer, and the Rossum Panharmonium.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Panharmonium should be shipping any day now... :hyper:

foosnark wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:52 pm Panharmonium should be shipping any day now... :hyper:
That’s the one I’m really excited about!

The Trident is pretty awesome...:tu:

Astonishing build quality as well, make sure you have long enough rail screws for the washers
to avoid rack rash. The faceplate's are thick...

Turns out Panharmonium is delayed, but:
We've added some features that pushed it out a bit. We're currently looking at starting shipment in the first week of July.

We've added an assignable CV function that allows you to CV control more of the real-time parameters. Also the ability to back up and restore stored presets and spectra to WAV files. Plus some additional functionality for the Tap and external clock input.

More details soon.
Ah well, more time to get comfortable with the DPO :)

Looking at the Minilogue XDm to connect to my Maschine MK3.
Deepmind12 is a contender for my money though to offload pads to an external synth.
Or a Mininova :ud: I don't know anymore.

Oops, I did it again! Again. If you look back a dozen or two pages, you'll probably find a post where I said I was probably not in the market for much this year. Well, since then I have bought three mixers (returned two of them), a Skulpt and now about Au$900 worth of Roli Blocks. I didn't really want to, I just couldn't help myself in the end.

I have managed to come up with some excellent justifications, though. Mostly, buying the new Roli means I no longer need my Rise 25 and I can probably sell that for most of what I paid for the new Roli stuff, because Roli seem to have lost their local distributor and you can't buy Rise keyboards anywhere in Australia at the moment. That fact made it a "better do it now, while you can" thing, too, so I really didn't have any choice.

To cap it off, I devised a new "plan" for my set-up moving forward and the Roli Block fits that plan much better than the Rise. Once I'd formulated the plan and signed off on it (it is rare that I knock back my own plans), implementation of the plan had to proceed with all reasonable haste (of course). So, again, I really didn't have a choice.

Part of the plan will involve a further sell off of under-utilised assets in order to facilitate stage 2 of the plan, which will be the purchase of a second Uno and a Modal Craft Synth 2 (when available). Overall I expect the completion of the plan to be cash neutral, as the sell off has the potential to raise all the capital required. The cost-benefit analysis came down heavily in favour, which is why signing off on the plan was, in the end, a no-brainer. Of course, all this requires that I ignore the fact that I spent all this money just because I wanted to and came up with the plan afterwards but that's an easy thing for me when I am surrounded by fun new toys.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:13 am Oops, I did it again! Again.
Unfortunately, I couldn’t read anything past this, as I was suddenly left with the visual of Bones dressed like Britney Spears. Yes, with the goggle glasses.

Decided on Mininova and Waldorf Rocket should arrive on my birthday

deastman wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:14 am
BONES wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:13 am Oops, I did it again! Again.
Unfortunately, I couldn’t read anything past this, as I was suddenly left with the visual of Bones dressed like Britney Spears. Yes, with the goggle glasses.
:o

deastman wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:14 amUnfortunately, I couldn’t read anything past this, as I was suddenly left with the visual of Bones dressed like Britney Spears. Yes, with the goggle glasses.
That's shame, it's some of my best work.
MuzikFreq wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:23 am Decided on Mininova and Waldorf Rocket should arrive on my birthday
Nice combo. Rocket sounds sooooo good and Mininova should be able to do anything you can think of (assuming it has all the functionality of my Ultranova).
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:33 am
deastman wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:14 amUnfortunately, I couldn’t read anything past this, as I was suddenly left with the visual of Bones dressed like Britney Spears. Yes, with the goggle glasses.
That's shame, it's some of my best work.
MuzikFreq wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:23 am Decided on Mininova and Waldorf Rocket should arrive on my birthday
Nice combo. Rocket sounds sooooo good and Mininova should be able to do anything you can think of (assuming it has all the functionality of my Ultranova).
Same engine, more performance layout but same inners. Can't wait to just chill and make sounds on the couch :phones:

I can't see the Mininova having more performance controls than Ultranova, it is bristling with extra knobs you can press and push in different directions, as well as turn like a normal knob. I've never bothered with any of that but it is a performance powerhouse.

started in Eurorack a couple of months ago so I’ve filled up a trogotronics/collier 368 case without really having a target. I figure that the waldorf nw-1 will be replaced fairly soon by the 4ms swn. The hole in the middle is an XAOC Zadar which I’ve had to send back to Poland (should arrive there today) due to a dead screen at two weeks old :-( Externally there’s a PM Lifeforms sv-1, Make Noise O-coast and an empress fx Zoia. The learning curve be steep.
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”