Which DAW for sketching out ideas fast (and easy)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

isnt Orion the only pattern based host (even tho its discontinued, but you still have it)

email Rich to get latest version (via support) he will prob give you V8.6 64bit version, as you are old pals

AnX wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:00 am isnt Orion the only pattern based host (even tho its discontinued, but you still have it)

email Rich to get latest version (via support) he will prob give you V8.6 64bit version, as you are old pals
I'm already sorted on that option. Have played a bit with it and will do some more, but currently I'm trying to build a workflow for sketching in reaper.
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

booooo :hihi:

AnX wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:27 am booooo :hihi:
:o

:D :D :D
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

AnX wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:27 am booooo :hihi:
We're all jumping ship now, even me! Orion still works, it just doesn't work as well as I want it to across everything that we are doing now and everything that's happening these days.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:57 am Orion still works, it just doesn't work as well as I want it to across everything that we are doing now and everything that's happening these days.
That sums it up pretty accurately 8)

I still do like it that it's installed on my machine again. Will surely use it to make some sounds and maybe sample it to use it in another way or stuff like that. There is still some pretty powerful stuf in there. For me the same goes for Reason (I'm currently battling the propellerheads support system to get my serial back).

BONES wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:57 am even me!
To me that's some sort of benchmark :D

crimsonwarlock wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:00 am
BONES wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:57 am even me!
To me that's some sort of benchmark :D

he'll be back, they always do :hihi:

Not a chance. For all the things I love about Orion, there are just too many roadblocks to getting things done as the world moves on. e.g. The VST editor for Skulpt will be VST 3 only, because Steinberg won't license VST 2 any more so I'll never be able to use it in Orion. The other thing I'm noticing is how songs load about 3 to 5 times faster in Cubase than in Orion 64 bit. It is something that's been bugging me about having to use 64 bit on stage so Cubase is a better fit there, too.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

#metoo!

as i started doing more with audio, it became too cumbersome to work with :(

I actually did a lot of stuff inside Orion for vocals on our new album, things I might previously have done in SoundForge or Audition. It's fiddly but doable. OTOH, Cubase will probably allow me to do 100% of everything without having to go outside at all.

yeah its doable, when you have a few audio tracks maybe.
when you get to 10 plus, you just need something a little more fluid to work with or it gets tedious.

that said, for anyone not working with much audio, the midi and vst side is great :)
shame you cant have it now :hihi:

MusicMayor wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:32 pm Looking forward to your write-up!
UPDATE: I did a pretty elaborate write-up. It's too much information to post here directly, so probably I'll link to the document in some way or another.Still have to add a few things but hoping to post it in the next few days 8)

I'm quite happy with Cubase 10, MUX, and Build your own modular effect (BYOME) now Triad as a base for sketching also using SerumFX a lot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9njw1ujnss
navigation with Find in it is quite fast, can pop up all the instruments/fxes on a track, MIDI editing is superb especially with its chord track (it can display chord/non-chord, out of scale notes which is quite a big help during sketching or creating chord progressions, counterpointing, etc.), C10 finally able to save the mixer states which is also a big +1 during the initial project creating phase, track versioning also can help

it hasn't got AL like Instrument and Effect Racks solution this is where MUX goes into the picture can build one to yourself, and don't have Bitiwg like modular fx environment > as I see currently BYOME/Trident is a quite good replacement of it

if u need patterns can use Beat Designer or Step Designer in it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlJtLG9juNU
so yepp not bad at all

ps. and can listen back not just individual notes but chords too in it with pressed cmd/ctrl and note clicking (was a gamechanger to me ... I really like a similar feature of Fl studio https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=54781 )
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

crimsonwarlock wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:15 am
MusicMayor wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:32 pm Looking forward to your write-up!
UPDATE: I did a pretty elaborate write-up. It's too much information to post here directly, so probably I'll link to the document in some way or another.Still have to add a few things but hoping to post it in the next few days 8)
AWESOME! Thank you :)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”