Studio One Pro 4.5

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Professional

rageix wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 4:49 am
tonedef71 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 6:17 pm Regarding the routing of plug-ins within a DAW, I just came to know about the product, Pluchain, from MidiMood:
Tried it with Captain Chords and Hive synth and just crashed. Ran in to a different plugin called Blue Cat's Patchwork which kind of works. It's like an Ableton Live instrument rack on steroids, and can pass midi from one track to another. I've had mixed results with it so far, eats CPU like crazy though.
Thanks for reporting this.
I'm the developer of Pluchain.
I'll check this issue and hopefully have it fixed before the official release of Pluchain next week.

Could someone clarify the following (right click picture to maximize )
IN example 1 , I routed 2 tracks to a buss with a console shaper
The 808 (yellow ) track fader is set to zero , and since the console shaper's crosstalk is enabled , there is some 808 bleed trough , as expected

In example 2 , I did more or less the same thing , but instead of routing directly to the buss track , I used a pre-fader send .
Both track are routed to the mains out and faders are set to zero
THe 808 send fader is also set to zero resulting in no cross talk .

Could someone explain why the 808 is not bleed trough in example 2
If the reason is because of it's send amount is zero , the same should apply in example 1 where the gain slider is also zero
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

In case anyone is interested, Nektar's Studio One 4 integration for the Panorama P-series, Panorama T-series and Pacer, is now available.

If you have one of those devices, make sure that you have selected Studio One from the list of DAWs in your product registration, you should find the file which contains the installer and firmware update you need, in your Nektar account.

justin3am wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 4:03 pm In case anyone is interested, Nektar's Studio One 4 integration for the Panorama P-series, Panorama T-series and Pacer, is now available.

If you have one of those devices, make sure that you have selected Studio One from the list of DAWs in your product registration, you should find the file which contains the installer and firmware update you need, in your Nektar account.
Sweet; thanks! Hey Justin - question: since I'm already on the Reason installer for Reason 10 support, is it OK to run the Studio One installer on top yet still retain Reason control when needed? How does using multiple DAW like this work?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

I'll jump in here:

I've had multiple hosts but I've had my Nektar LX for years. The company has software for each host (except FL which already has it built in) and they all work independently. By and large I've had terrific luck with my Nektar and it's always worked as expected.

reggie1979 wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 5:45 pm I'll jump in here:

I've had multiple hosts but I've had my Nektar LX for years. The company has software for each host (except FL which already has it built in) and they all work independently. By and large I've had terrific luck with my Nektar and it's always worked as expected.
So you install the software for each host on top of eachother, and when you fire up said host, it automatically works for the particular DAW you're in, correct?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 5:30 pm Sweet; thanks! Hey Justin - question: since I'm already on the Reason installer for Reason 10 support, is it OK to run the Studio One installer on top yet still retain Reason control when needed? How does using multiple DAW like this work?
Just run the Presonus support installer, then update the firmware using the new firmware updater. No need to run the 'Panorama_P4_WIN_1.2.3.5.exe' installer. The Studio One integration won't interfere with the Reason integration.

- Justin

justin3am wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 5:56 pm
EnochLight wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 5:30 pm Sweet; thanks! Hey Justin - question: since I'm already on the Reason installer for Reason 10 support, is it OK to run the Studio One installer on top yet still retain Reason control when needed? How does using multiple DAW like this work?
Just run the Presonus support installer, then update the firmware using the new firmware updater. No need to run the 'Panorama_P4_WIN_1.2.3.5.exe' installer. The Studio One integration won't interfere with the Reason integration.

- Justin
Sweet - thanks!

THere are still lot's of preformance issues happening at random
Just drop the multi instrument called untime ' (under multinstrument sequence ) and play with the xy pad without playing a note ....signifant cpu rise
Restarting studio one and now all of a sudden it's gone :roll:
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

I really feel like they should come up with a way to use Multi Instruments with Low Latency monitoring. So weird that they implemented two features in the same version but never bothered to design a way for them to work together

Here’s a feature request for it ppl can vote it

https://answers.presonus.com/29180/mult ... 6q81E2RnF4

LawrenceF wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 11:55 am
codec_spurt wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 11:46 amWhen you are rendering out 40 or 50 stems over an hour or two's music production, it's a real time saver.
i may misunderstand, but if you render over and over with the same file name for some reason it does append, file, file(2), etc. The annoying thing for me is the prefix box always auto-filling for stems, I wish there was a way to option that off.
Thanks, that's interesting. The thing is I would have to use that naming convention and I have my own system. It's quite basic: Name-01 >>> Name-99. With two digits I get to create a 100 files. This is ok for most use. If I'm doing a bigger project and need more than a 100 renders, I'll use: Name-001 >>> Name-100 >>> Name-999, kind of thing. It's just how I work.

I'll usually save just under a hundred renders for a typical track. Sometimes I start off with my Name-01 scheme and create a 100 or more files. This then messes them up when I am skipping through them in a loop browser as they are no longer in order. Not the end of the world, but can be annoying.

This is just one way of working and workflow for me. But I do use it quite a bit. Sometimes I'll create a finished track by arranging my rendered out stems which are usually semi-mixed with eq and compression etc.

Also, S1 forgets where you put the rendered files and forces a set directory on you (always the bloody mixdown folder) which I then have to click a couple of times and spend 5 seconds telling it to put the renders where I put them before. It also does not remember file names when projects are closed and reopened so I have to type them back in to the render box.

All in all it's a passion killer. I wouldn't use S1 out of choice for doing quick stuff. It's fine though for finishing tracks. Having said that, sometimes I just put up with the pain of it because I'm a masochist. And I'm not lazy. It's like real work. Like digging ditches or something. No one can say I'm not a grafter! (whip me harder S1 - I need the pain!) :o

The whole render box system lacks insight and vision. It's a clusterfuck of a UX. And it's a shame, because it's probably the weakest part in the chain for me. And it doesn't need to be. It needs to be totally re-designed though. Selecting menu items to open a box to always have to change the stuff it forgot you put in before. Nasty business.

People say that they use S1 more for arranging and comping tracks and mixing and whatnot. I can see why. But with the latest additions to v4 with the step editor and drum editor, it's a real fun experience to just mess about and come up with stuff super quick. But it takes longer to render it than create a masterpiece.

All it would take is a few hours of programming time (ok maybe more) to change the logic flow for the file management. Tell you what, let's go crazy! Let's stick a button at the top and when you press it, it automagically creates a new file name and saves it, then renders it out, then creates a new appended file ready to do it all over again. Samplitude kind of has one. It's pretty fast anyway.

FLStudio just has 'Save new version' and it appends it for you. It takes about 0.5 seconds. S1 takes a few seconds. And for rendering it can take up to half a minute. There's no excuse. It's sloppy workflow. If they changed it everyone would benefit.

The thing is I realise I work differently to other people. Most people just save every 10 minutes, and maybe render every half hour or hour or so. I dunno.

EnergyXT2 has super fast workflow. I have keyboard shortcuts set up and I can save and render about 50 times faster than S1. Studio One is the worst kludge of a program out of all the 10 or so DAWs I use. Almost.

Having said that, I know you can set up keyboard shortcuts in S1 and that saves a lot of time. I'm just on a new system at the moment and haven't sorted it out. Ableton is very slow as well, so it's not just S1.

This is not something that will ever change. I'm resigned to it.

FLStudio is superfast for knocking them out. So is XT2.

But out of all the big boys, Samplitude and Cubase are the winners.

I just knocked out a 150 rendered stems of a drum and bass track this morning in about 2 hours. Enough for a finished track. I'll go back to it this evening and arrange it. Might even use S1! :lol:

tonedef71 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 1:21 pm
codec_spurt wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 11:46 amSeems pretty stable apart from when I select 'options' from the menu and an instrument gui is open, it just flickers and locks the program, and you have to go in to task manager to shut it down. Did it a few times in fact.
:idea: It could be that there is a modal dialog window on the screen (usually in the exact center of the screen) that is obscured by another window which happens to be coded with an "always on top" behavior.

:arrow: One thing to try is to tab/alt-tab/win-tab to the modal dialog so that you can dismiss it.

:arrow: Another thing to try is the following: resize Studio One to about 1/4 the size of your display and then drag it towards one of the corners on the screen (e.g. lower left); open the GUI of a virtual instrument and resize it, if possible, so that it is not full screen and can be dragged over to one side of the display; invoke the "Options" menu in Studio One; if there was a modal dialog being obscured/eclipsed, hopefully the resizing of application windows will have exposed it. :shrug:

Thanks for the tip. I never thought of trying that. It hasn't happened since. Don't know what it was. Weird though. It was definitely caught in some kind of logic loop. Alt-tab it is!

Actually, I think the whole screen might have been locked so it cut down the options for trying stuff. Can't remember. As long as it doesn't keep happening I'll just forget about it. This is just a temporary test system I've built anyway. I'm going to be rebuilding the computer and reinstalling everything in a bit.

mholloway wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 3:10 pm
codec_spurt wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 11:46 am It's a shame that Studio One Pro 4.5 doesn't offer the ability to increment file names when saving/rendering. It would be trivial to implement. FLStudio and Cubase both have this feature.
Eh? If you do a simple 'Save As...' command, you can just increment the filename yourself (like, append v2 on the end or something) and hit save -- S1 will save the session in the same 'top level' Song folder as the previous version. So you'll have the original song folder, and inside it, your first session, then the second with your increment name, and so on..... I don't think it gets much easier than that!

Or are you truly saying you need the computer software to type an increment into your filename for you, because that is apparently just too much work??

Do you know, I never thought of that!

'Save As...' you say. Where might I find that on my PC Computer?

For all the years I have been trying to figure this out. Now the solution is to hand. All that time wasted, life not lived, experiences not gained...

Now finally, the end may be in sight. All I have to do is find that bloody 'Save As...' thingy. It's there somewhere. I can feel it. This might be the end of an era!

Or are you truly saying you need the computer software to type an increment into your filename for you, because that is apparently just too much work??

That is what I am truly saying. Well comprehended. It was my exact point.

It is too much work when I'm on a flow. It's a buz killer. When I can use a program that has better file management, I'll use that to speed things up.

Studio One is painful in this regard. But I know it's just me.

I do make tracks in the more conventional sense like everyone else, and this isn't so much of an issue. I get it.

But sometimes I like to work a certain way. Like Noisia who will create a small library of samples and loops before even beginning a track, I like to have weird and wonderful ideas, along with bread and butter beats for a basis. I don't want to spend a day or two on that. A morning or evening is enough, then it becomes counter-productive, creatively anyway. But like this morning, I now have over a hundred drum and bass beats and basslines and percussion to use as a kind of 'construction kit' to make a proper arranged track. It was super fast in Cubase - this is why I just bought the full version of the program again. It's come a long way with many great workflow improvements.

Having said that, I love S1 and would still choose it over Cubase. It's more streamlined in other ways compared to Steinberg's latest offering. It's nice having both.

But the truth is that Studio One is seriously lagging behind the file management in Cubase. That applies to everyone. Cubase has options that S1 just doesn't have. It adds up if you have a workflow like me.

Also, the arranging tools in Cubase are an order of magnitude faster again. Studio One needs you to use an extra hand or an extra click or both. This adds up as well. I can work one-handed in Cubase. It's probably the fastest DAW out of ALL of them, in this regard. It has recent innovations that are just pure genius. It's hard going back to Studio One now my head has been turned by Cubase.

And here's the thing. If you aren't using S1 for mixing and comping and arranging etc. because it's so lacking in the arrangment tools and capabilities, and if you aren't using it for making beats and loops to render out quickly because it's so poorly thought out in the file management department, then what exactly are you going to use Studio One for?

And I consider Studio One to by my no.1 favourite DAW. I doubt that will change. But these are valid criticisms, at least from my perspective. Others will have a different workflow and won't care.

Still, nothing on earth is as lightning fast as XT2 and FLStudio when you're getting ideas down and in the grip of render mania!

But overall, I'm very happy with Studio One and its stability. I just got excited when they said they added some stuff to the render box options...

:help:

codec_spurt, your message is a bit on the short side. Can you repeat again please? :D

:hihi:

codec_spurt wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:47 pm
Still, nothing on earth is as lightning fast as XT2 and FLStudio when you're getting ideas down and in the grip of render mania!

:help:
For painting midi on a step sequencer or grid, maybe.

For recording midi or audio, definitely not.

No, for recording MIDI and audio too. I have used eXT/XT2 for a few years and I didn't "paint MIDI", drums aside, and it really is super-fast too work with.

It's just that there isn't really support for take-recording and such in XT2
(there was in eXT 1.4 however - for me for working with audio eXT in a way surpassed everything else out there - no other DAW has the same kind of superb functionality (audio parts being containers for an arbitrary number of independent take-lanes - you could basically record, edit and arrange a whole song inside a single audio-part))

Anyway: ictools, do you know what I am talking about? Are you actually familiar with XT2 or just stirring the pot again, as per usual? (I must admit that your trolling is really good as one can almost never quite tell if you're actually trolling or really a lunatic)
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”