One Synth Challenge #124: MSoundFactory by MeldaProduction (Schiing Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Funny you should say that baalisoda, just looking at those screenshots turns me off as well, and I was exactly thinking of Waverazor as well. I remember the sad part about that synth was that it ultimately sound great, but I felt like my eyes were being stabbed by daggers as I used it and gave up.

Also based on that brief intro to the additive section, can you not alter adsrs per partial? That seems like very disheartening if that's right.

Taron wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:52 pm Yeah, of course!
Anyway, this thing requires some studying for which I may not have time and I'd hate to junk up my brains with something I may never need again, really. Realistically speaking, I shouldn't even attempt it and it doesn't really speak to me anyway. I'll wait for a happy ONE PAGE synth again! :shrug: ;)
Why so pessimistic dude? there is no like a deep study or anything really that deep neither. Remember, with this synth you only go as far as you want to go; and if you don't want to go that deep in sound design or anything just use the presets and tweak as you would like, add little elements you would like to use and that's it, save it, use it in the mix.

Or if you like to create your own there is nothing like that scientific, just adding some oscillators and some effects, already in less than 1 minute you would get the oscillators, the effects (delay,reverb,chorus...) and the respective presets of the oscillators and effects.

Just to add, I wouldn't go to the edit screen of one of the very deep modules or start from init in any of it, but just use the presets of these, basically because that really can be intimidating (Turboreverb, SpectralDelay...), and tweak as you like.

My first thoughts was that the GUI is intimidating too, than I found out Edit devices button and my head start hurting, so much to study lol but I decided not to quit, I will play with synth as much as I can, I love random button on plugins, I'm gonna make a lot of strange sounds :D

Well i think this synth is awesome .GUI is little unconventional but is is neatly done and i think you will need very little time to get used to it.There is so much things in it that screams to try them out out (FX secton ,just wow) .So if you are easily distracted like i m that might lead to endless sound designing and unfinished track.

JunSev wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:10 am
Taron wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:52 pm Yeah, of course!
Anyway, this thing requires some studying for which I may not have time and I'd hate to junk up my brains with something I may never need again, really. Realistically speaking, I shouldn't even attempt it and it doesn't really speak to me anyway. I'll wait for a happy ONE PAGE synth again! :shrug: ;)
Why so pessimistic dude? there is no like a deep study or anything really that deep neither. Remember, with this synth you only go as far as you want to go; and if you don't want to go that deep in sound design or anything just use the presets and tweak as you would like, add little elements you would like to use and that's it, save it, use it in the mix.

Or if you like to create your own there is nothing like that scientific, just adding some oscillators and some effects, already in less than 1 minute you would get the oscillators, the effects (delay,reverb,chorus...) and the respective presets of the oscillators and effects.

Just to add, I wouldn't go to the edit screen of one of the very deep modules or start from init in any of it, but just use the presets of these, basically because that really can be intimidating (Turboreverb, SpectralDelay...), and tweak as you like.
He is entitled to feel as he likes about this synth. MSF is not going to be for everybody and you continuing to force your love of it on everybody who isn't thrilled with it is getting tiresome. It went on and on in the main MSF thread. Please don't drag it into the OSC. I don't want to spend a month having to listen to this.

Folks, it's a great synth. I'm 80 something patches into my new library. It took me a while to get used to the UI but eventually I got the hang of it. But I understand that this thing isn't going to be for everybody. I can absolutely understand people even hating it. The GUI is like no other synth. The basic sound is quite digital and takes a lot of coaxing to sound, dare I say it, warm.

Jun Sev is going to spend the next 30 days trying to convince everybody how amazing this thing is. If you're left cold by the synth, just ignore him. He tends to grate on your after a while. I was hoping he wouldn't be doing the OSC with this synth but I can see my hopes have been dashed. I may be skipping this one after all as I just don't want to put up with this for 30 days. It's not worth the aggravation.

For those of you who take the time to dive into this thing, I promise you won't be disappointed. There's very little it can't do.

Peace.

So are analyses wavetables legit here or no? I’ve got some that I use often in synths that support them that add a whole lot to percussive type noises.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Ah_Dziz wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:58 pm So are analyses wavetables legit here or no? I’ve got some that I use often in synths that support them that add a whole lot to percussive type noises.
I think that's against the rules/the spirit of OSC.

For wavetables in the past it was agreed that factory wavetables are ok, and importing a wavetable that is a morph between two single cycles is ok. But definitely not importing percussive wavetables, you need to synthesise the percussion sounds using the synth. I would also avoid using any sample based factory wavetables in a linear fashion as if it was a sampler to be on the safe side :phones:

Importing single cycle waveforms is also ok.

I could not have put it better!
Thanks Ranoka

@wagtunes idk man, jun sev seems to have been nothing but helpful in this thread. Plus, I’m in agreement with his comments on ease of use. I can create most things I can think of, in the same processing chains as well thanks to the modularity. This thing sounds unbelievably fat and I’m really digging the FX, both the per-channel and the global. Turbo verb is insane!!

vert-hex wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:34 pm @wagtunes idk man, jun sev seems to have been nothing but helpful in this thread. Plus, I’m in agreement with his comments on ease of use. I can create most things I can think of, in the same processing chains as well thanks to the modularity. This thing sounds unbelievably fat and I’m really digging the FX, both the per-channel and the global. Turbo verb is insane!!
There is a difference between being helpful and getting on people's cases because they don't like a synth. People are entitled to not like this synth without him making them feel like they're stupid because they don't. That's what I have a problem with. And it's a common problem with this forum.

@wag Well if Taron is anything, it isn’t stupid. I think the worst that was said was pessimistic. It’s cool though, I get what you’re coming from.

Besides, @junsev, Taron seems like a make more-with-less kind of writer, of which MSynthFactory pretty much states opposite in its title.

@wag You should have been here last month, plenty of people skipped over that one. Despite the millions of MSF forums I’m sure you already perused, I urge you to resist buzzkilling, I don’t think it’s every month we’ll get a synth like this one for OSC.

I was just trying to help with the use of MSF because I could understand by my own experience that really so much option would intimidate but it is not a obligation to use all of it, and yes is one of my favorite synth and offers a lot in what it does.

Hope I wasn't misunderstood, I'm human I don't know everything, just was sharing my experience with the synth and how to use it.

Anyway, this has to continue, I'm out. :phones:

vert-hex wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:44 pm @wag Well if Taron is anything, it isn’t stupid. I think the worst that was said was pessimistic. It’s cool though, I get what you’re coming from.

Besides, @junsev, Taron seems like a make more-with-less kind of writer, of which MSynthFactory pretty much states opposite in its title.

@wag You should have been here last month, plenty of people skipped over that one. Despite the millions of MSF forums I’m sure you already perused, I urge you to resist buzzkilling, I don’t think it’s every month we’ll get a synth like this one for OSC.
Buzz kill? Hell, I love this synth. I could probably make patches for it for years and still only scratch the surface. Only synth I own that even come close to this complexity are Falcon and HALion 6.

All I'm saying is, I can understand people not liking it and if somebody doesn't, I'm not going to try to twist their arm into liking it. In fact, there isn't a synth I own that I would try to twist somebody's arm into liking because I understand that not every synth is for every person. If somebody has their mind made up that a synth isn't for them, I'm the last person who will try to change their mind.

Ah_Dziz wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:58 pm So are analyses wavetables legit here or no? I’ve got some that I use often in synths that support them that add a whole lot to percussive type noises.
A very high percentage of us would love to use wavetables or even full samples to save time.
I have to agree that we want to do what you know works easily, but you learn a lot about synthesis when you have to craft the same sound using new methods. It can be very rewarding in the end.

I would gladly take on this month's challenge if MSF didn't require "Wine" to run on Linux. My computer is too wimpy:-)

I feel a bit daft for asking this - it's probably written somewhere really obvious, but I couldn't find anything. I'm sure some of you have a clue:

Not a lot of experience with Melda. I installed the whole, massive Melda-bundle when I downloaded the MSoundFactory for OSC, and currently I have a million Melda-plugins in 14 day demo mode.

Now, all of these plugin names appear in the MSoundFactory FX section as well. But: If I buy the MSoundFactory synth, will all of these in-synth links stop working after a fortnight?

Are they a part of the MSoundFactory package, or is the in-synth fx section merely a collection of links to the individual demo plugs?? Confused! :-o
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

Return to “Instruments”