EMU 1212m/1616m on Windows 7 - The Thread to End All Other EMU Threads!

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Recently built a new Win10 computer, still running my old EMU PCI card.

Somewhat small problem: in my previous build I could control volume with dedicated volume keys on my Logitech keyboard. The monitor volume controller would simply move whenever I pressed the keys. The mute button even activated the patchmix mute button.

Now for whatever reason the same Logitech keyboard controls the windows mixer sliders instead.

I often run regular windows audio (just watching videos etc) either through a dsp compressor and eq's on patchmix or even loop it through a vst effects rack. Lowering the volume on the windows mixer (input to patchmix) rather than the actual final output messes up the gain stucture of the effect chain I have set up.

Any ideas? On my previous Win10 build it still worked.

skinwalker wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:32 pm Recently built a new Win10 computer, still running my old EMU PCI card.

Somewhat small problem: in my previous build I could control volume with dedicated volume keys on my Logitech keyboard. The monitor volume controller would simply move whenever I pressed the keys. The mute button even activated the patchmix mute button.

Now for whatever reason the same Logitech keyboard controls the windows mixer sliders instead.

I often run regular windows audio (just watching videos etc) either through a dsp compressor and eq's on patchmix or even loop it through a vst effects rack. Lowering the volume on the windows mixer (input to patchmix) rather than the actual final output messes up the gain stucture of the effect chain I have set up.

Just a wild shot in the dark idea.
Maybe it was caused by the order the drivers for your keyboard and for the audio card were installed by the system ?
Like at the time the keyboard driver was installed, there was no audio driver for the E-MU installed yet, so it decided to use windows mixer instead.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Bad Robot wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:43 pm
gubi24 wrote: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:57 pm Hi,

I'm new to the forum, greetings to everyone, great thread on EMU cards. :)

My setup:
-Emu 1616m PCIe
-The card was 1616m PCI in the beginning, but I purchased the 1010 PCIe card separately
-Windows 7 Pro 64bit
-i7 System, 16GB RAM

Everything seems to be working fine, except for SLEEP MODE. When i put the PC into Sleep and wake it up, there is no sound, the LEDs on the Microdock are random, and it does not initialize. After a complete system restart everything is fine again.

Does anyone else experience this kind of problem?

Thanks
Hi,
The same here, I never had such problems with Microdock + 1010 PCI card. Recently I bought 1010 PCIe and everything works fine except Microdock after wake up from sleep mode. Tested on the same machine, I got both, PCI and PCIe slots, but preparing to migrate on new machine with no PCI slots.
This can be fixed by disabling/re-enabling the "E-MU E-DSP" device in Device Manager. I set up a scheduled task to do this automatically on wake. Because of CtHelper.exe it also reloads PatchMix automatically.

PSA: E-MU 1820 is not working in Windows 10 1903.

Driver installs fine, but PatchMix doesn't load properly. Error is: "PatchMix DSP Error! You don't appear to have sufficient E-MU hardware to load the session in your system."

Rolling back to 1809 fixes the problem. Problem also exists in the skip ahead build. Reinstalling driver and patchmix application does not help. I also tried every possible permutation of installation driver and patchmix versions. I've analzyed with Procmon and other utilities, but nothing jumps out.

I use EmuPMX_PCDrv_US_2_30_00_BETA and EmuPMX_PCApp_L6_2_10_00 in 1809 without issue. Also tried EmuPMX_PCApp_US_2_20_00 (meant for PCI-E).

I submitted feedback to MS, but I am thinking this is the end of the line for this card :(. I've had it forever and even replaced the caps in the breakout box myself. Additionally when I moved to a Z390 board I got a PCI-E to PCI adapter and mounted the PCI daughterboard and EMU card in a 5.25" bay. Hopefully by some miracle the issue gets fixed. I can stay on 1809 for a while, but eventually I'll have to face facts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ClubHouseKey wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:12 am PSA: E-MU 1820 is not working in Windows 10 1903.
Thank you.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

skinwalker wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:32 pm Recently built a new Win10 computer, still running my old EMU PCI card.

I just had this issue. I was testing PatchMix version EmuPMX_PCApp_US_2_20_00.

To fix, I uninstalled PatchMix, rebooted, then installed EmuPMX_PCApp_L6_2_10_00 and rebooted. Afer that the volume keys worked fine.

EDIT: I also got volume keys to work with EmuPMX_PCApp_US_2_20_00 (controls the Monitor knob and Mute in PatchMix) by uninstalling EmuPMX_PCApp_L6_2_10_00, rebooting, installing EmuPMX_PCApp_US_2_20_00, rebooting. In short, I think it has to do with making sure to reboot each time.

Mutant wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:11 pm

Just a wild shot in the dark idea.
Maybe it was caused by the order the drivers for your keyboard and for the audio card were installed by the system ?
Like at the time the keyboard driver was installed, there was no audio driver for the E-MU installed yet, so it decided to use windows mixer instead.
ClubHouseKey wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:39 am I just had this issue. I was testing PatchMix version EmuPMX_PCApp_US_2_20_00.

To fix, I uninstalled PatchMix, rebooted, then installed EmuPMX_PCApp_L6_2_10_00 and rebooted. Afer that the volume keys worked fine.

EDIT: I also got volume keys to work with EmuPMX_PCApp_US_2_20_00 (controls the Monitor knob and Mute in PatchMix) by uninstalling EmuPMX_PCApp_L6_2_10_00, rebooting, installing EmuPMX_PCApp_US_2_20_00, rebooting. In short, I think it has to do with making sure to reboot each time.
Thank you both. I only now got to testing this and guess what; it worked. :tu:

Well, sort of. Now the keys affect BOTH the patchmix and the windows applications / mixer. Which kinda ruins the whole thing. Dammit. Used the 2_20_00 version.

edit: It seems I semi-accidentally found a way to fix this.

With Logitech SetPoint software I unticked box 'My computer volume changes' from the tools menu status indicator page. It doesn't make any sense, but now, like magic, individual applications like WinAmp don't react to the volume changes from my Logitech keyboard anymore and my precious gain structure remains intact.

ClubHouseKey wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:12 am PSA: E-MU 1820 is not working in Windows 10 1903.

Driver installs fine, but PatchMix doesn't load properly. Error is: "PatchMix DSP Error! You don't appear to have sufficient E-MU hardware to load the session in your system."

Rolling back to 1809 fixes the problem. Problem also exists in the skip ahead build. Reinstalling driver and patchmix application does not help. I also tried every possible permutation of installation driver and patchmix versions. I've analzyed with Procmon and other utilities, but nothing jumps out.

I use EmuPMX_PCDrv_US_2_30_00_BETA and EmuPMX_PCApp_L6_2_10_00 in 1809 without issue. Also tried EmuPMX_PCApp_US_2_20_00 (meant for PCI-E).

I submitted feedback to MS, but I am thinking this is the end of the line for this card :(. I've had it forever and even replaced the caps in the breakout box myself. Additionally when I moved to a Z390 board I got a PCI-E to PCI adapter and mounted the PCI daughterboard and EMU card in a 5.25" bay. Hopefully by some miracle the issue gets fixed. I can stay on 1809 for a while, but eventually I'll have to face facts.
Hey Clubhouse. I'm in the exact same boat as you. I have 2 x 1820m's and an 1820.
I'm curious why I can't find your Feedback when I search in the feedback hub.
I've also submitted feedback for 2 versions of 1903.
https://aka.ms/AA574ky
(Seems my second feedback has gone missing!?)
Would be good if we could upvote each other to try and get a little more notice maybe from M$.
I am going to try another possible solution today. Will let you know how it goes!
Cheers.

Hey good news - I have a solution and it works perfectly. I’ve been meaning to post it but have been too busy. I will try and send it tonight. It involves grabbing a Creative driver for a different card that was fixed for 1903 and combining it with the latest EMU driver in a specific way.

That's the method I was about to try I think! I saw it on a Microsoft forum this morning.

Hmm, OK I may need more guidance please :)

Driver fix for EMU 1820 and probably all other EMU cards on Windows 10 1903.

Here are some instructions:

1. Uninstall any existing EMU drivers and PatchMix versions.
2. Install 2.30 beta drivers (EmuPMX_PCDrv_US_2_30_00_BETA.exe) and reboot.
4. Download XFTI_PCDRV_L11_2_40_0018.exe, then extract it with 7-Zip to a temp folder like C:\temp. Example file structure should look like this: c:\temp\XFTI_PCDRV_L11_2_40_0018\setup.exe
5. Unzip the attached ScriptFiles.zip to c:\temp. You should now have FilesToReplace.csv, EMU_Driver_Fix.ps1, and the XFTI_PCDRV_L11_2_40_0018 folder together in c:\temp.
6. Open an Elevated powershell window and change directory to c:\temp.
7. Run .\EMU_Driver_Fix.ps1 from the Elevated powershell window. The script does 3 things: 1) Disables the EMU card in device manager so we can overwrite some of the driver files. 2) Reads the csv, loops through each entry, and overwrites the necessary files. 3) Re-enables the EMU card in device manager.
8. Install PatchMix 2.20 (EmuPMX_PCApp_US_2_20_00.exe) and reboot.
9. Your card should be fully functional now.

Links:

EmuPMX_PCDrv_US_2_30_00_BETA.exe - E-MU beta drivers for Windows Vista x64 compatibility. These can support most models.
https://support.creative.com/downloads/ ... adId=12479

EmuPMX_PCApp_US_2_20_00.exe - E-MU PatchMix software meant for the 1616M PCIe model
https://support.creative.com/downloads/ ... adId=11912

XFTI_PCDRV_L11_2_40_0018.exe - Updated Creative X-Fi drivers for Windows 10 1903
https://support.creative.com/downloads/ ... dId=100256

I encourage you to check out the script and csv before running it. If there is any concern about running a script, you can manually replace the files as listed in the csv, however it is 111 files.

My initial discovery of this method happened by a happy accident as I was examining Creative's X-Fi drivers which they fixed for 1903. I noticed many similarities to the EMU drivers, including many leftover references to the EMU products. I force installed the Creative drivers to be used with a virtual device (a Voicemeeter/VBAN virtual soundcard) and after a reboot magically my EMU started working. I came up with the method above after painstakingly examining what exact combination of these files it took to get success as I wanted something repeatable and shareable. I believe in 1903 MS has fixed a flaw, enforced a best practice, or enhanced the audio stack in a way that broke what EMU/Creative had done in the past.

Good luck!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thanks for your detective work on this. I'm sure it wasn't easy (or particularly fun), but it will help quite a few people. And I think it's interesting to see Creative is still taking advantage of E-MU's intellectual property (probably illegally :roll:) long after they stopped supporting these otherwise great products.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

Thanks heaps for all the details. You are a legend!!

You'll all be pleased to know that you don't need to run any scripts or anything difficult!

Here's what I did step by step.
1. I already had the EMU Beta drivers installed but probably not required. I didn't uninstall anything though.
2. Download the driver ClubHouseKey linked to... XFTI_PCDRV_L11_2_40_0018.exe - Updated Creative X-Fi drivers for Windows 10 1903
https://support.creative.com/downloads/ ... dId=100256
3. Extract the .exe using 7-zip or winrar etc.
4. Do to Device Manager and update the EMU DSP Driver by Right clicking on EMU DSP (under Sound, Video and Game Controllers) and select Update Driver.
5. Select 'Browse my computer for driver software'
6. Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer
7. Click the 'Have disk..." button and then browse to extracted folder \XFTI_PCDRV_L11_2_40_0018\Drivers\wdm
8. Select wdma_emu.inf and Open... OK...
9. Choose 'Creative X-Fi Audio Processor'. Next and select Yes when it says Not Recommended...
10. You card will temporarily be called "Creative X-Fi Audio Processor" but when you re-boot it will be called "EMU E-DSP" and patchmix works as before.

Good luck all and thanks again for this driver link! :))

OK, I may have jumped the shark a bit in my post above.
There is no ASIO communication happening with my method so will now try ClubHouseKey's full instructions.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”