Studio One Pro 4.5

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Professional

ictools wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 4:46 am Composing music without playing an instrument is like painting without a paintbrush. .
It's painfully obvious that you know as little about painting and art in general as you know about music.

I am too lazy too lecture you, but my general advice to you is to attempt to summon your entire strength in an effort to pull your head back out of your own arse - comes with the advantage of significantly better hearing too.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

It's a shame that Studio One Pro 4.5 doesn't offer the ability to increment file names when saving/rendering. It would be trivial to implement. FLStudio and Cubase both have this feature.

When you are rendering out 40 or 50 stems over an hour or two's music production, it's a real time saver.

S1 has it neither for saving or rendering. Such a workflow killer. I was hoping it was going to be there somewhere in all the new options they were offering in the render dialogue.

It does have a new thing called 'Save new version' and I got quite excited by that. But it's really arcane and esoteric. And it puts some file in some folder. Totally non-intuitive. Might have to RTFM on that one.

It also offers an 'Increment' option, but it's totally over my head...

Going to have to experiment with that one. In FLStudio it's a menu option and it just automatically increments the file name when you choose 'Save new version':

"File"> "File_2"> "File_3"...

Cubase even lets you select in which way you want the file to be named when it's incremented.

This would be a great feature to have. I guess most people don't use S1 to save and render like a madman or more people would have requested this. Perhaps you can create a macro to do this?

I recently upgraded to 4.5 and played about for a few hours. Seems pretty stable apart from when I select 'options' from the menu and an instrument gui is open, it just flickers and locks the program, and you have to go in to task manager to shut it down. Did it a few times in fact.

It's still probably my favourite DAW of all though. Real shame Presonus have such a shitty attitude on their forum and with their support. Lots of locked up potential with this one with not having a conducive environment to trade tips and tricks. Pity.

Say what you want about the Reaper boys, but they know how to throw a party!

:party:

But there will be no fun,
In Studio One!

It's a serious DAW for serious biznezz.

It kinda sucks they crippled the Sampler too. Presence is pretty decent, but I imagine most of us already have Kontakt or whatever. Directwave is doing it for me in a big way as well with that gorgeous new interface (unofficial) for the VST version (need to swap .dll's around). So Presence just gets left behind and neglected and used just as a Rompler. Oh well. At least it's got some decent sounds. And it's pretty easy to tweak. Would be good to be able to change the colour of it as well like the new sampler and impact.

Talking of colours:
Wish we had a few more colour options for tracks and the mixer. They are a bit garish and limited. But I like the gui overall. It's 'almost' starting to look like Podium by Zynewave. Very cut and clear lines with good definition. I like it.

Looking forward to Cubase, but S1 seems less bloated and more streamlined.

As long as it keeps being stable, then I have no complaints at all. I've always been a late adopter and let others figure out the bugs first. Still, it's been pretty stable across most platforms for me (not tried mac).

If you absolutely had to limit yourself to just one DAW and one DAW only, I think S1 would be hard to beat.

codec_spurt wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 11:46 amWhen you are rendering out 40 or 50 stems over an hour or two's music production, it's a real time saver.
i may misunderstand, but if you render over and over with the same file name for some reason it does append, file, file(2), etc. The annoying thing for me is the prefix box always auto-filling for stems, I wish there was a way to option that off.

codec_spurt wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 11:46 amSeems pretty stable apart from when I select 'options' from the menu and an instrument gui is open, it just flickers and locks the program, and you have to go in to task manager to shut it down. Did it a few times in fact.
:idea: It could be that there is a modal dialog window on the screen (usually in the exact center of the screen) that is obscured by another window which happens to be coded with an "always on top" behavior.

:arrow: One thing to try is to tab/alt-tab/win-tab to the modal dialog so that you can dismiss it.

:arrow: Another thing to try is the following: resize Studio One to about 1/4 the size of your display and then drag it towards one of the corners on the screen (e.g. lower left); open the GUI of a virtual instrument and resize it, if possible, so that it is not full screen and can be dragged over to one side of the display; invoke the "Options" menu in Studio One; if there was a modal dialog being obscured/eclipsed, hopefully the resizing of application windows will have exposed it. :shrug:
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

LawrenceF wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 11:55 amif you render over and over with the same file name for some reason it does append, file, file(2), etc.
:idea: Hmm... I wonder if that is a function of the operating system's API. For example, I have noticed that the Windows OS will append a "(1)", "(2)", "(3)", etc. to a filename whenever I have clicked the same link more than once on a web page to download a file. I believe this happens to prevent inadvertent overwriting of existing files without prompting the user with an overwrite confirmation which would interrupt the download.
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

jens wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 8:18 am
ictools wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 4:46 am Composing music without playing an instrument is like painting without a paintbrush. .
It's painfully obvious that you know as little about painting and art in general as you know about music.

I am too lazy too lecture you, but my general advice to you is to attempt to summon your entire strength in an effort to pull your head back out of your own arse - comes with the advantage of significantly better hearing too.
Being an arranger of midi isn't the same as being a performing musician, that is painfully obvious. The same can be said for someone who draws with a computer and a tablet, it's not the same as painting with paint and a brush. Or mixing with your eyes instead of your ears, same concept.

They will never be the same or feel the same. What's so hard to accept?

Back to the topic, Studio One is progressing rather nicely, I wonder what they have in store for v5.

codec_spurt wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 11:46 am It's a shame that Studio One Pro 4.5 doesn't offer the ability to increment file names when saving/rendering. It would be trivial to implement. FLStudio and Cubase both have this feature.
Eh? If you do a simple 'Save As...' command, you can just increment the filename yourself (like, append v2 on the end or something) and hit save -- S1 will save the session in the same 'top level' Song folder as the previous version. So you'll have the original song folder, and inside it, your first session, then the second with your increment name, and so on..... I don't think it gets much easier than that!

Or are you truly saying you need the computer software to type an increment into your filename for you, because that is apparently just too much work??

ictools wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 4:46 am Composing music without playing an instrument is like painting without a paintbrush. You can simulate it, but it will never feel the same.
100% disagree. Tell her that her artwork doesn't feel the same:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cobe33cTbPs
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Do a test, record a full orchestra live, then play a midi keyboard for all the parts and edit it, and finally paint the midi parts in with all the velocity, swing or whatever "tools" you need to humanize it. Tell me if you can hear the differences?
Last reply, as to keep this thread on topic, thank you.

ictools wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 3:15 pm
Do a test, record a full orchestra live, then play a midi keyboard for all the parts and edit it, and finally paint the midi parts in with all the velocity, swing or whatever "tools" you need to humanize it. Tell me if you can hear the differences?
Last reply, as to keep this thread on topic, thank you.
This off-topic thread reminds me of another discussion I read about online. Apparently, when digital/synthetic drums were first introduced, traditional artists maligned them for not sounding enough like actual drums, but creative musicians/composers would later make song writing with digital drums into its own art form.

Creating something digitally will probably never achieve the exact same results as something created organically and viscerally, and I doubt that there is much ground from which to debate that. That said, why does there even need to be a debate? When it comes to art, all forms of creation of it can be appreciated... by somebody... somewhere.

tonedef71 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 4:55 pm
This off-topic thread reminds me of another discussion I read about online. Apparently, when digital/synthetic drums were first introduced, traditional artists maligned them for not sounding enough like actual drums, but creative musicians/composers would later make song writing with digital drums into its own art form.

Creating something digitally will probably never achieve the exact same results as something created organically and viscerally, and I doubt that there is much ground from which to debate that. That said, why does there even need to be a debate? When it comes to art, all forms of creation of it can be appreciated... by somebody... somewhere.
Exactly the reason this "debate" should of ended back on page 12, but since everyone feels the need to drag it on...
ictools wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 6:03 pm It basically breaks down to three types of "musicians/producers".

1. Those who play music and record it.
2. Those who paint music and edit it.
3. And the combination of the two.

Studio One is currently geared more towards the musicality side of things, such as recording live. While some DAWs are more midi centric and geared towards sequencer type programming. Both can be used to create music, but both are very different approaches.

The problem is trying to balance both approaches into a cohesive work flow that works for everyone.

oneway wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 6:48 am Glad you guys liked my feature request. Here’s another one in the same vein- currently it takes two tracks to setup things like cthulu and there are problems with using Low Latency Monitoring at the same time. Very clunky.

https://answers.presonus.com/40747/simp ... out-delays
Regarding the routing of plug-ins within a DAW, I just came to know about the product, Pluchain, from MidiMood:

https://www.midimood.com/product/pluchain/

MidiMood wrote:Pluchain simply takes midi and synth plug-ins and creates a combined plug-in out of them.

· Transparent as possible
· Automation is fully supported
· Tested on major DAWs
Last edited by tonedef71 on Thu May 30, 2019 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kevvvvv wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 11:17 pm ictools comments on musicianship today made me think.

I'm an old school trained musician, and written so many songs, read dots, arranged orchestrations and traditionally similar stuff.

I was proud for a long while about using other people's files. Too long.

Now I think the music landscape has changed forever.

My old pride is sort of throwback.

I still make music almost every day.

Everything I touch, see, hear, imagine or feel can be an instrument if I let it.

No pride left. Just the music.

(hope this makes sense)
Recognise a lot of this kevvvvv, the best bit is "I still make music almost every day" - I love that!!

Hats off to Presonus team, they fixed their automation problems in matter of days and incremental updates, on the other hand Steinberg and Apple ignore it for more than decade.

tonedef71 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 6:17 pm
Regarding the routing of plug-ins within a DAW, I just came to know about the product, Pluchain, from MidiMood:

https://www.midimood.com/product/pluchain/
very cool, thanks for sharing. A much simpler version than say Patchworks or PlogueBidule with one simple task. I have been thinking about making something like this though a little bit more elaborate, support a chain of midi plugins and probably handle each channel separate if desired...but for $20, this is a great solution to just insert a single midi plugin in front of your instrument, useful for S1, DP, Cubase and any other host that still hasn't figured out we need that!
MacPro 5,1 12core x 3.46ghz-96gb MacOS 12.2 (opencore), X32+AES16e-50

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”