Hive 2.0

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

Hey,

for those who rarely check the Instruments forum, here's a link to the "official" Hive 2.0 thread:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=525970

We're happy to discuss things here as well, particularly feature requests, bug reports and all the things which may go under the radar elsewhere.

Also, big thanks to everyone who actively helped us make Hive a better synth!

Cheers,

- U

congrats on the release!

1 request; free (no trigger) option (synced though) for the SHAPERS

I added a few wavetable folders and used one of these new wavetables in a patch.
Then I decided to rename these wavetable folders.

I went back to the patch expecting it would not work anymore as it would not find the wavetable.
Quite amazed that the patch still worked and it had found the wavetable even though it's path was changed (the wavetable name was unchanged). Nice job. Now I wonder how this works??

Congrats on the release! Just upgraded! Very excited to try it out!

exmatproton wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 7:19 pm congrats on the release!

I've been thinking about this problem last night. If we add "free" to the single/poly trigger option, any non-looping mode would not yield anything meaningful. If we add "global" or something to the mode section (Loop, Pool, random...), we would not yield anything meaningful from single/poly trigger.

However, if we think out of the box, I can see a future option where, instead of a time base (1/8, 1/16 etc) there could be a "modulate me" entry. Such that, a Shape Sequencer could become a slave to an envelope, a wheel or an LFO. In case of which, the LFO could deliver what you ask.

Stefken wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 7:49 pmNow I wonder how this works??
It works by being prepared for the worst :clown: - First, Hive looks for the wavetable where it's supposed to be. If it doesn't find it, it looks for the wavetable in the preset directory. After that it checks any wavetable in the wavetable location.

That is all by filename, it requires the file to be named appropriately. We have an additional fallback in place, we also save the checksum of the wavetables used with every preset. If, in the past half year, we had had any complaint of wavetables not being found, we would have added a database of checksums, so that, even if a wavetable was renamed, Hive would still find the wavetable. And if it couldn't, it would display a "can you find it for me please?" file opening dialog. However, the whole wavetable business has been smooth since we introduced it, so we spent our time on other things.

Urs wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 7:50 pm
exmatproton wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 7:19 pm congrats on the release!

I've been thinking about this problem last night. If we add "free" to the single/poly trigger option, any non-looping mode would not yield anything meaningful. If we add "global" or something to the mode section (Loop, Pool, random...), we would not yield anything meaningful from single/poly trigger.

However, if we think out of the box, I can see a future option where, instead of a time base (1/8, 1/16 etc) there could be a "modulate me" entry. Such that, a Shape Sequencer could become a slave to an envelope, a wheel or an LFO. In case of which, the LFO could deliver what you ask.
???

Out of the box?

I just would like to have 1 sequencer lane run it's course (or loop) when i hold 1 note and add another note without retriggering...

Is it the way this sequencer has been build what makes it difficult?

I mean, i don't see a problem with the implementation to be honest. Just let the order setting do what it does now, EXCEPT LOOP when FREE has been picked
Last edited by exmatproton on Tue May 28, 2019 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Urs wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 8:02 pm
Stefken wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 7:49 pmNow I wonder how this works??
It works by being prepared for the worst :clown: - First, Hive looks for the wavetable where it's supposed to be. If it doesn't find it, it looks for the wavetable in the preset directory. After that it checks any wavetable in the wavetable location.

That is all by filename, it requires the file to be named appropriately. We have an additional fallback in place, we also save the checksum of the wavetables used with every preset. If, in the past half year, we had had any complaint of wavetables not being found, we would have added a database of checksums, so that, even if a wavetable was renamed, Hive would still find the wavetable. And if it couldn't, it would display a "can you find it for me please?" file opening dialog. However, the whole wavetable business has been smooth since we introduced it, so we spent our time on other things.
That's some impressive defensive programming.
'Nobody' probably knows that's all in there. It's an expression of how much you guys work on getting all the details right.

exmatproton wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 8:16 pmIs it the way this sequencer has been build what makes it difficult?

I mean, i don't see a problem with the implementation to be honest. Just let the order setting do what it does now, EXCEPT LOOP when FREE has been picked
No, it's not difficult at all.

But it relates to what Stefken just wrote: We're pre-empting confusion. If we add some kind of free running mode, it sort of contradicts several key aspects of the shape sequencer. We would have to somehow remove "One Shot", "One By One" and "One Random" from the list of options. It would simply cause some people to go "oh, where is this thing, why is it not here?" if we take them away or "why doesn't it do that now?" if we leave them in.

The current logic of the Shape Sequencer and all its modes are inherently linked to the idea of being triggered by a key. Much of its strength comes from it. In some kind of free running mode, half of these options would become meaningless.

I have tried to figure out a consistent way to marry the current concept with a global option, but each time I end up with something scary: Either long drop down lists, or confusing UI elements.

Nevertheless, the concept is young. We have plenty of time to mature it.

Urs wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 8:42 pm
exmatproton wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 8:16 pmIs it the way this sequencer has been build what makes it difficult?

No, it's not difficult at all.

But it relates to what Stefken just wrote: We're pre-empting confusion. If we add some kind of free running mode, it sort of contradicts several key aspects of the shape sequencer. We would have to somehow remove "One Shot", "One By One" and "One Random" from the list of options. It would simply cause some people to go "oh, where is this thing, why is it not here?" if we take them away or "why doesn't it do that now?" if we leave them in.

The current logic of the Shape Sequencer and all its modes are inherently linked to the idea of being triggered by a key. Much of its strength comes from it. In some kind of free running mode, half of these options would become meaningless.

I have tried to figure out a consistent way to marry the current concept with a global option, but each time I end up with something scary: Either long drop down lists, or confusing UI elements.

Nevertheless, the concept is young. We have plenty of time to mature it.
I can relate to that, sure..

However, a simple greyd out ORDER window when FREE is selected seems oke to me :D

Sure, retriggering is nice and it works in certain scenarios, but a "free" mode as well. I use it all the time (retriggering not so much)

:tu: Hive 2 is alive!

Requesting an LFO WT Shape for LFO 1 & 2

Requesting ability to send Shape Sequencer x into a new wavetable/uhm file, thus creating a new wavetable file.
SLH - Yes, I am a woman, deal with it.

Thanks for the update. With these updates I might be able to retire my zebra and just use my Hive 8)

I have to say I'm genuinely impressed by Hive 2. Owning ZebraHZ, Bazille, and the Repros, Hive(1) just didn't resonate with me and I considered it merely as a "trance machine" – which totally isn't my genre. With Hive-2 though, I hear additional sonic spectrums covered – a certain "digital" (in the good sense) sound style not covered by any other U-He synth.

Saubere Leistung, Urs & Team!

Haven't had much time to try out the update, but the shape sequencer is super dope!

One thing I haven't figured out yet is the function tab. Read the manual to see if I could make out what it does but couldn't figure it out. Not saying the manual is poorly written, but I'm 100% sure it's because my synth skills are poorly developed :lol: If someone can explain this with something simple to understand, such as how it can be applied to cutoff, I would appreciate it! Tried using the cross hairs on the rise/still/env but failed miserably and it's gonna bother me all day at work.

I didn't want to switch from Hive 1.x due to me missing the old layout and UI, but the 30min I just spent with it made me forget all about 1.x :D Did I mention the shape sequencer is super dope?!

Return to “u-he”