Anyone using Breaktweaker and Stutter Edit?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Saw this on sale for $49 USD again at plugin boutique. I don't own any glitch stuff, so it couldn't hurt, but has anyone used Breaktweaker as a general drum sequencer? I uses Renoise for drums rewired into Reaper for other instruments + mixing, but wouldn't mind a new workflow. The lackof proper swing/off the grid hits in Breaktweaker is kind of crappy though. I asaw the workaround of splitting notes, but doing that for a lot of hits would suck. Is this thing really only suited to EDM andTrap beats?

I own both.

Breaktweaker is an amazing tool but for very specific stuff, and the interface was not designed with modern screens in mind. Scrolling horizontally inside a plugin in 2019? Hello? The ability to trigger drum sounds in fast bursts is its key and only real advantage. If you're into this style, great. If not, don't even bother to check.

Stutter Edit does exactly what it says: retrigs, goes back and forth whatever comes in, repitching and or filtering the slices on its way out, etc. Everything happens in real time under your MIDI keyboard control. It can be easily used in live sets. As the other one, the interface could use a look and UX review, but this one aged a bit better.

Just like the first one, it's very specific, but for that kind of stuff, it's very very fun to use.

If I had to get them again, I would choose Stutter Edit and forget about Breaktweaker.
MAN FROM SPACE
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/135uz9UwHtdXZgiFyAc3oz
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/manfromspace

GumRoad (FREE Ableton racks and synth presets): https://gumroad.com/manfromspace

nachenko wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 8:59 pm I own both.

Breaktweaker is an amazing tool but for very specific stuff, and the interface was not designed with modern screens in mind. Scrolling horizontally inside a plugin in 2019? Hello? The ability to trigger drum sounds in fast bursts is its key and only real advantage. If you're into this style, great. If not, don't even bother to check.

Stutter Edit does exactly what it says: retrigs, goes back and forth whatever comes in, repitching and or filtering the slices on its way out, etc. Everything happens in real time under your MIDI keyboard control. It can be easily used in live sets. As the other one, the interface could use a look and UX review, but this one aged a bit better.

Just like the first one, it's very specific, but for that kind of stuff, it's very very fun to use.

If I had to get them again, I would choose Stutter Edit and forget about Breaktweaker.
Gotcha. I'll demo the pair and see if i have any use for them. Seems like breaktweaker should have been updated a little to make it a somewhat of a Geist alternative with some different features.
The sale is for a bundle of both so if i get one I'll het both regardless.

breaktweaker doesn't have "scrolling", however unlike most other drum machines you can see a measure and a half instead of just one.
how come nobody gets this is beyond me.

nachenko wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 8:59 pm I own both.

Also own both, but I'm exactly the opposite of nachenko. ;-)
I really don't have a use for Stutteredit. But Breaktweaker adds a flavor (several, actually) that you really can't get from a standard beat box or drum sample instrument. Even just scrolling through the presets, there's plenty in there that can really spice up a track. And the actual add on kit sets are pretty varied--cinematic, r&B, hip hop. I don't really do any of those genres, but they mix very well with standard beats. Very cool.

For the price, can't go wrong IMHO.

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

I love breaktweaker, I feel you can make cool beats quickly. Routing is easy and the effects (distortion, filters) are cool. I'm just not a fan of getting the beats out of breaktweaker and into my daw. You have to use a midi note per two bar beat. so If you 4 drum parts, you have to make them all in breaktweaker, and then in your daw, C would be part 1, C# part 2, etc. It's so pre-programmed. If you decide to get it, you should check out some of the Breaktweaker expansions offered by pluginguru.com

This was done with StutterEdit. I used a preset and triggered the various modes without really knowing what they did or practicing much. Basically one take. Pretty cool. :phones:

https://soundcloud.com/musicofplexus/become-relax

I use Stutter Edit in every track now, as long as it's trance and needs unexpected, dynamic effects at the end of phrase. Also good for dubstep / electro drops.

The interface could get an upgrade, though.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

I have both. StutterEdit is one of my favorite glitching plugins. I was a fan of the original Glitch and I bought Glitch 2 which is handy from time to time. I also have Effectrix which is also fun...StutterEdit easily replaces them both because of the advanced customization. Whatever Glitch and Effectrix can do, StutterEdit can do...and better. I sometimes I bounce out something with Glitch or Effectrix and layer on StutterEdit. Fantastic and nearly infinite possibilities.

Breaktweaker is good, especially for the time splicing intervals...which I could see someone bouncing that out for future use. I like it for laying out quick ideas. I use it a basic drum sample player at best. I rarely use any of its functions. Once I find a groove I like, I switch out the samples to make the drum loop more personal.

I would buy them both again simply because they are good tools and I have had some creative moments with both of them. If I had to pick one...I go StutterEdit. Hands down, StutterEdit is really cool. Amazingly one of my best glitch making plugins.
...and the electron responded, "what wall?"

i've thought about both of them but seems like every time i look all i can find are threads saying they're abandoned/end of life/no longer being developed. so even at $49 for the pair it seems a bad deal.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=518288&p=7289350&hi ... r#p7289350

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=425374&hilit=breakt ... start=1200

I use breaktweaker for layering sounds and layered polyrhythms that I then bounce. Great tool.

dayjob wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 5:16 am i've thought about both of them but seems like every time i look all i can find are threads saying they're abandoned/end of life/no longer being developed. so even at $49 for the pair it seems a bad deal.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=518288&p=7289350&hi ... r#p7289350

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=425374&hilit=breakt ... start=1200

There is a difference between a product not being developed and being abandoned; at least it would seem that way in this regard.

Both of these products were made in collaboration with BT, and the lack of further development and added features since release suggests that they no longer have a working relationship. However, just because Izotope may not have the rights to change anything about the plugins does not mean that they are unable to keep them updated for os compatibility i.e they will keep working, as is. They are both current with newest os versions, as far as I'm aware.

Of the two, Breaktweaker (I don't own it) seems to be the one that could benefit from a bit of an overhaul, whereas Stutter Edit (I have this) is one they got right from day one.

I can understand your caution. To my mind, however, the fact that they both often benefit from heavy sale discounts suggests that Izotope will at least keep them compatible. Of course, that's no guarantee. You will need to decide whether you want to take a gamble :shrug:

Lastly, to speak to the point that someone raised about SE being quite specific in results, it's worth checking out Simon Stockhausen's preset library. I don't own it yet (Keep forgetting :scared: ) However, from the demo, he has really managed to coax some varied results that are not so genre-specific, and show it as a hugely flexible multi-effect.

Stutter edit is fun and unique. I still love effectrix, very different method of inputting and triggering fx. Totally worth having both. I laughed off breaktweaker about 10 seconds after first downloading the demo. You get to see a bar and a half out of 2 bars so you have to scroll back and forth constantly to edit a pattern. Yeah nice design. How about just extending the window horizontally a little? No thanks. Couldn’t care less about the features if there is that bad of a design.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 3:25 pm Stutter edit is fun and unique.
Except that it's a copy of SB Artillery II

Distorted Horizon wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 4:41 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 3:25 pm Stutter edit is fun and unique.
Except that it's a copy of SB Artillery II
No it really isn't at all. There is similarity in that you use the keyboard to trigger effects. Pretty different design/approach though.

Return to “Instruments”