SoundMorph: Dust, granular flow motion

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

YanDavid wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 8:46 pm
Neon Breath wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 8:28 pm Thanks for the info update Yan. Although I always found Dust kinda wobbly & buggy (but what a unique creative tool tho!), I have to admit this update is solid and really nice. Good work!
Thanks!

The original programmer got a big job after the Dust initial release, and was no longer interested in working on it. I was still learning c++ at the time. Thats why it took a while. I had to learn the Dust code properly. From now on, major issues will be fixed asap.
Can you please fix the midi keyboard scale? Please set the default to the entire keyboard on each engine? Every time I set the second one it resets the first one. :(

Does seem much more solid than the last time I checked the demo, have just been playing with it for the last hour or so and can see a lot of potential, nothing else on the market really covers this ground.

Unfortunately, got to buy an SSD so will have to wait until the next sale. Looking forward to developments in the meantime.

YanDavid wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 8:49 pm If you guys have feature suggestions for future updates let me know.
Sure! :tu: ....Few ideas:
-A simple 3-Bands EQ for the Convolver, for quick tone adjustments.
-A random button to generate new unexpected Flow Field equations randomly
-A random generator mode for the Trigger Mode with speed control, so particles are randomly emitted instead of having to use midi or sequencer.

Thanks for reading and considering ! :)

There are a few things i miss.
F.e. the option to save my own algorithms for the flowfield as presets.

@Cinebient, do you have any tips on creating your own Flow Field equations? Or you just enter stuff randomly until it's valid? Cause I have ZERO idea what I am doing and I just type stuff that most of the time is invalid.

Neon Breath wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 7:15 am @Cinebient, do you have any tips on creating your own Flow Field equations? Or you just enter stuff randomly until it's valid? Cause I have ZERO idea what I am doing and I just type stuff that most of the time is invalid.
It is more a try and error here simple. But yes, you have to watch out to not break the math rules here. And of course there is a path you cannot leave within Dust.
Mostly i start simply with a default algorithm and just change the numbers and/or add functions like pi, sinus, cosinus and whatever. Mmhhh if i can add the Kepler laws to it? Depending on your modulations on top you can get very interesting results.
It is also funny to experiment also to create special forms with this when you trigger lots of particles like creating things which looks like a solar system or a pulsing heart of geometric forms. Lol, sometimes i could watch these flow field for hours and hypnotize me. I really thought about to record this as video background for a song.
Maybe i could post a few presets as examples. But the preset management in general is a bit broken here. A thing why i gave up a bit on this otherwise wonderful tool.
Oh and i think i need again a better tutorial how to use the FX version with live input.
I remember i figured it out but for some reason i cannot get it to work again.
It seems i only can trigger it with the sequencer as input.
So i might have no clue what i do here anyway :D

focusrite wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 9:36 pm Can you please fix the midi keyboard scale? Please set the default to the entire keyboard on each engine? Every time I set the second one it resets the first one. :(
Yeah that make sense. Ill add a button in the midi range panel to "set all to rull range"

Neon Breath wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 5:48 am Sure! :tu: ....Few ideas:
-A simple 3-Bands EQ for the Convolver, for quick tone adjustments.
-A random button to generate new unexpected Flow Field equations randomly
-A random generator mode for the Trigger Mode with speed control, so particles are randomly emitted instead of having to use midi or sequencer.

Thanks for reading and considering ! :)
Add those ones to the task list:
-A random generator mode for the Trigger Mode with speed control.
-A random button to generate new unexpected Flow Field equations randomly.

Cinebient wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 8:17 am
Neon Breath wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 7:15 am @Cinebient, do you have any tips on creating your own Flow Field equations? Or you just enter stuff randomly until it's valid? Cause I have ZERO idea what I am doing and I just type stuff that most of the time is invalid.
Oh and i think i need again a better tutorial how to use the FX version with live input.
You can send midi to the audio track for Midi note trigger modes also (i use ableton).

The next version will have a new mode for the live input.
(the button will be next to the Position knob, and it will be called follow/unfollow).
Right now the position follows the buffer as it gets filled. It feels like it follows the audio input.
That button will stop that behaviour. It will sound more like using a Sample Source.

YanDavid wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 11:58 am
Cinebient wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 8:17 am
You can send midi to the audio track for Midi note trigger modes also (i use ableton).

The next version will have a new mode for the live input.
(the button will be next to the Position knob, and it will be called follow/unfollow).
Right now the position follows the buffer as it gets filled. It feels like it follows the audio input.
That button will stop that behaviour. It will sound more like using a Sample Source.
Great to hear. Beside a bug here and there i must say it is one of the most unique tools i own and it really can inspire. Good to hear it will get more love. I use it less as FX but more like a traditional synth. You really can get some 3 dimensional pads and soundscapes out of it. The modulations per particle can result in some amazing binaural sounds. Also great for creating all kinds of doppler and more FX of course.
I really would love to use it also a spatalization/binaural panning tool without the granular FX at all.

For those with a scaling issue with Presonus Studio one on Windows.
It should be fixed now. I updated the build on the server.

YanDavid wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 11:36 am
focusrite wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 9:36 pm Can you please fix the midi keyboard scale? Please set the default to the entire keyboard on each engine? Every time I set the second one it resets the first one. :(
Yeah that make sense. Ill add a button in the midi range panel to "set all to rull range"
It's been my only gripe! Thanks :love:

Thanks for size fix Yan.
Still too big, but I can work with it now.
Hope you make it resizable or offer 2-3 options for sizes at least.
How are folks using Dust as fx? I've only used it as instrument so far.

All drop-down menus with several choices could use prev/next arrows.
Sound source menu only contains Sample. Are you going to add other sound source options to this menu?

Yan's on the case!
Good to hear! :)
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “Instruments”