Which DAW for sketching out ideas fast (and easy)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BONES wrote: Orion doesn't scan plugins unless you tell it to, although it does seem to pick up new ones that have been added, so maybe it does it after it starts or it compares the folder(s) to a list it has previously compiled or something.
Yes, thats what i meant. Like most (maybe even all) other hosts that record scanned plugins into a file or the registry it merely does a simple compare on startup to see whether anything has changed, i.e. whether all plugins that are recorded in the list are still present in the VSTPlugins dir and/or whether anything new has been added to it. (In which case a full scan will be performed on the newly discovered plugin(s) only. The rest is only checked for presence.)

And it is this comparison-operation that is somehow being cached. Without having done any further checking as to where exactly, my guess would be that we are either talking about the HDDs own cache or perhaps the HDD driver because the caching is volatile, i.e. it eventually gets eliminated when other apps access a lot of files.

(This is also why every host that scans on startup will benefit from another hosts initial scan after OS boot/reboot, because if Host X has already performed the operation, and Host Y then performs the exact same operation on the exact same set of files, the operation will be completed virtually instantaneous because the data will be drawn from the cache rather than being re-queried from scratch.)

BONES wrote:Whatever it is, it starts about a hundred times faster than Cubase.
Im inclined to believe that.

Cubase may be a lot of things but lightweight isnt one of them. :)

BONES wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 1:06 am
No other soft synth, not even DUNE, can match the expressiveness or power of Wasp's filters. They are in a class of their own when it comes to basslines. Have a listen to the baseline in this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G950mel2dxw

Pretty impressive.

Hi
Could you tell me how Mixcraft works in case of Midi VST/Instruments/Effects, can you put all simply on one Track
In Mixcraft you simply allocate a VST to a track, each track has a mixer channel which you can insert FX to - you can also set up a send FX track.

The Piano roll/mixer can be detached and moved to a second monitor or full screen.
The piano roll is quite nice and responsive usable.

Mixcraft really is pretty simple - if it lacks anything it is probably a decent GUI - it is not the prettiest to look at, but I can deal with that.

I don't know if other DAWs have this feature, but Cubase has "retrospective" recording.

Open an empty project and drop in an instrument track--I usually use a piano. Then I just noodle around, or, if I have an idea, I'll try to play it out and develop it. If I play something I like, I just hit the "retro" button and everything I just played get dumped into a MIDI track.

I find that I can develop my ideas much quicker, and without the fuss of trying to set up the proper recording tempo, or ANY rhythm track for that matter.

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

BERFAB wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 12:56 pm I don't know if other DAWs have this feature, but Cubase has "retrospective" recording.

Open an empty project and drop in an instrument track--I usually use a piano. Then I just noodle around, or, if I have an idea, I'll try to play it out and develop it. If I play something I like, I just hit the "retro" button and everything I just played get dumped into a MIDI track.

I find that I can develop my ideas much quicker, and without the fuss of trying to set up the proper recording tempo, or ANY rhythm track for that matter.

Cheers
-B
Yes, Cubase and Logic both have that, and have since way back in time. In Logic it's called "Capture last take" (Capture Recording)...the only difference (and it's a big difference) is that in Cubase, the transport does not have to be running in order to do this. In Logic, nothing will get recorded if the transport is not rolling, so it's more limited in that way.

It's a great feature. I prefer the way Cubase does it.

I am new to Cubase, and I have just opened it and tried retrospective recording after reading this.

Pretty cool. :)

BERFAB wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 12:56 pm I don't know if other DAWs have this feature, but Cubase has "retrospective" recording.

Cheers
-B
Ableton 10 has the same concept called capture, the transport does not have to be running, it can detect the tempo too

carrieres wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 1:42 pm Ableton 10 has the same concept called capture, the transport does not have to be running, it can detect the tempo too
Its a pity its MIDI-only, though.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

dellboy wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 1:22 pm I am new to Cubase, and I have just opened it and tried retrospective recording after reading this.

Pretty cool. :)
:D
Berfab

carrieres wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 1:42 pm Ableton 10 has the same concept called capture, the transport does not have to be running, it can detect the tempo too
I think Cubase might also have a tempo detector as well, though I've never used it. Anyone know about this?
Berfab

dellboy wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 11:06 amPretty impressive.
It is, isn't it? Especially so when you realise that it was given away with the application and largely ignored by everyone. Equally amazing is that the one other synth I've found that can do a similar job is sort of the same - a simple synth ignored by everyone because it's not some ridiculously expensive uber-synth. I'll take a one-trick pony every time if the one trick is as good as this.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Which DAW for sketching out ideas fast (and easy) ?

Reason, but not in the way the OP is asking.... :D
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

So I ended up buying Reason 10 recently and find that's its a great system when hooked up to live for sketching out a track relatively fast.

Sure the sound quality might not be up there compared to some of the more advanced modelling plugins I have but if i want to sketch out an idea then it's pretty good. It's also fast.

Only thing is this setup requires you owning both Reason 10 and Live 10 which is can get pretty expensive.
:borg:

THE INTRANCER wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 3:06 pm Reason, but not in the way the OP is asking.... :D
Explain please :D
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

I think Maschine Software is s pretty good alternative, as it allows you to get the basics of the sound, as well as the basics of the structure of the song.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”