Heathlands - Pastoral orchestral composition

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
mediumaevum
KVRist
181 posts since 14 Feb, 2013

Post Thu May 23, 2019 4:32 am

I composed this symphonic work inspired by the Danish Heathlands in Jutland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy1OdER6i6o
Last edited by mediumaevum on Sun May 26, 2019 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

mediumaevum
KVRist
181 posts since 14 Feb, 2013

Re: Heathlands - Pastoral orchestral composition

Post Sun May 26, 2019 2:59 am

Any thoughts on this?

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
16702 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: Heathlands - Pastoral orchestral composition

Post Sun May 26, 2019 3:50 am

mediumaevum wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 2:59 am
Any thoughts on this?
It sucks doesn't it? Now you know how I feel when I'm lucky if I get a comment on something I post.

People post here and want feedback but don't return the favor. The selfishness of this place is almost comical.

PS - Those few of you who actually DO comment on the music here, thanks. You're the only ones keeping this place from being a ghost town.

When I get back from church, I'll listen and comment.

I won't hold my breath waiting for any kind of reciprocation.

mediumaevum
KVRist
181 posts since 14 Feb, 2013

Re: Heathlands - Pastoral orchestral composition

Post Sun May 26, 2019 6:21 am

wagtunes wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 3:50 am
mediumaevum wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 2:59 am
Any thoughts on this?
It sucks doesn't it? Now you know how I feel when I'm lucky if I get a comment on something I post.

People post here and want feedback but don't return the favor. The selfishness of this place is almost comical.

PS - Those few of you who actually DO comment on the music here, thanks. You're the only ones keeping this place from being a ghost town.

When I get back from church, I'll listen and comment.

I won't hold my breath waiting for any kind of reciprocation.
Sorry, I'll comment on your music right away, if you have some classical-sounding music (film, classical, renaissance, medieval, choir etc.). You may post a link to it in my thread here.

Unfortunately I cannot comment on other genres, as that is beyond what I know of. I never listen to non-classical genres.

User avatar
lilith93
KVRist
63 posts since 7 Apr, 2018

Re: Heathlands - Pastoral orchestral composition

Post Sun May 26, 2019 6:31 am

Sounds really great, although it's not exactly my music taste. It sounds like a film score. Composition is very good and the mix also.

User avatar
jancivil
KVRAF
18944 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from No Location

Re: Heathlands - Pastoral orchestral composition

Post Sun May 26, 2019 7:56 am

wagtunes wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 3:50 am

People post here and want feedback but don't return the favor. The selfishness of this place is almost comical.

PS - Those few of you who actually DO comment on the music here, thanks. You're the only ones keeping this place from being a ghost town.

When I get back from church, I'll listen and comment.

I won't hold my breath waiting for any kind of reciprocation.
I don't think of a quid pro quo or whether or not people should 'return the favor'. I think of interest as interest in an authentic way, instead. I wouldn't tend to comment on this because it would require more energy than I have to try and sort the issues, and given the contribution by this individual as a whole, it's in no sense worth that; and if it were quid pro quo there would be zero gain for me anyway.

Another reason is a general 'if you can't say something nice...' sense I may have picked up in my upbringing.
Personally I think this is a very naive effort and rather awkwardly executed as an orchestration (all the tracks seem quite the same, essentially, too), and now the "classical" pretense (go to school, son, FFS) chafes a bit.


So you may not want everybody who posts here commenting widely on other posts, wags. ;)
But you'd be right in noting this member does not reciprocate, his interest is apparently very narrow anyway. Let it be. :hug:

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
16702 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: Heathlands - Pastoral orchestral composition

Post Sun May 26, 2019 8:28 am

jancivil wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 7:56 am
wagtunes wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 3:50 am

People post here and want feedback but don't return the favor. The selfishness of this place is almost comical.

PS - Those few of you who actually DO comment on the music here, thanks. You're the only ones keeping this place from being a ghost town.

When I get back from church, I'll listen and comment.

I won't hold my breath waiting for any kind of reciprocation.
I don't think of a quid pro quo or whether or not people should 'return the favor'. I think of interest as interest in an authentic way, instead. I wouldn't tend to comment on this because it would require more energy than I have to try and sort the issues, and given the contribution by this individual as a whole, it's in no sense worth that; and if it were quid pro quo there would be zero gain for me anyway.

Another reason is a general 'if you can't say something nice...' sense I may have picked up in my upbringing.
Personally I think this is a very naive effort and rather awkwardly executed as an orchestration (all the tracks seem quite the same, essentially, too), and now the "classical" pretense (go to school, son, FFS) chafes a bit.


So you may not want everybody who posts here commenting widely on other posts, wags. ;)
But you'd be right in noting this member does not reciprocate, his interest is apparently very narrow anyway. Let it be. :hug:
Jan, in an ideal world, I agree with you. People should comment on the music of others because they're genuinely interested in it and not out of a sense of obligation. I just find it hard to believe that people here who post, say, EDM tracks, don't comment on others EDM tracks. Certainly they have to have some interest in the kind of music they themselves do.

So in that regard, there is a lot of selfishness here.

Now, why do I comment on almost everything? Because I truly have a very broad taste in music. Maybe I'm the freak in this forum. I don't know.

It would just be nice if this was a more supportive community.

User avatar
jancivil
KVRAF
18944 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from No Location

Re: Heathlands - Pastoral orchestral composition

Post Sun May 26, 2019 10:25 am

I have rather broad tastes but I'm not an easy mark. I commented on some 'trap' music the other day. I didn't quite know what trap was, I thought to look it up. I look for the best out of people, not that I'm an optimist, but in music I want things to be good. Usually, no. Sorry.

Interesting location for that stance. I don't blame you really. Some people are just takers by nature.

User avatar
jancivil
KVRAF
18944 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from No Location

Re: Heathlands - Pastoral orchestral composition

Post Sun May 26, 2019 10:32 am

The other thing is I don't actually think criticizing someone's idea is anything too useful. Here, I did, and it's not the very nicest thing to do but I'm supposing that there might be something for someone who is more self-critical (in the wider readership) in an objective sense, in observing how the lack of curiosity and vocabulary results in this severely safe kind of naive or inchoate work. Or not. :shrug: I really think a classical aspiration should demand more than has happened here, though.

My expectations are realistic, however. I don't know what the OP wants from the community, because the feedback, typically constructive, doesn't amount to any adjustment of the m.o.
Last edited by jancivil on Sun May 26, 2019 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
16702 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: Heathlands - Pastoral orchestral composition

Post Sun May 26, 2019 10:39 am

I look at criticism differently than I used to. I used to hate it and it was obvious. Now I hope for it. It's the only way I get better. And I have improved thanks to finally listening to some people who gave me valid criticisms and suggestions for improvement. Instead of doing a song in a day now, I take a week or more to do a song. The attention to detail has helped greatly.

Point is, if I still had my head buried in the sand I would not have improved.

User avatar
jancivil
KVRAF
18944 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from No Location

Re: Heathlands - Pastoral orchestral composition

Post Sun May 26, 2019 10:51 am

My view is that criticism of a production, the mix, the orchestration is a different thing than of the idea of it, which I simply take as none of my business.
Except of course when the "idea" was to grab a MIDI of Vincent from the ether and send it to a piano plugin, and now it's time to post it here. That's everybody's business, never do this. :D

Here the first entry of the violins tremolando, the hard attack of it and the imbalance of that after the SOFT timpani was plain jarring; it is only possible to get this that wrong sequenced with a sample library. There are other similar issues with the thing technically, and some of this kind of issue continuing to occur would tend to be remedied by an education. I think medium maeven [sp] has a lot of natural talent but that does not in itself mean more than that; and the criticisms are consistent but don't seem to register. So this is why I ignore things; I think that kind of critique may be very useful but it's kind of blunt and I don't know really if anyone wants it.

When I got my shit together in music, it was nothing_but criticism, there was no stroking or coddling. "Oh, that was great" is not constructive when not very true. But here, the peer group may just not know what to look for at all, and can very much relate to this production and the goal is really some EZ validation. In which case I'm an intrusion.
Last edited by jancivil on Sun May 26, 2019 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
16702 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: Heathlands - Pastoral orchestral composition

Post Sun May 26, 2019 10:59 am

jancivil wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 10:51 am
My view is that criticism of a production, the mix, the orchestration is a different thing than of the idea of it, which I simply take as none of my business.
Except of course when the "idea" was to grab a MIDI of Vincent from the ether and send it to a piano plugin, and now it's time to post it here. :D

Here the first entry of the violins tremolando, the hard attack of it and the imbalance of that after the SOFT timpani was plain jarring; it is only possible to get this that wrong sequenced with a sample library. There are other similar issues with the thing technically, and some of this kind of issue continuing to occur would tend to be remedied by an education. I think medium maeven [sp] has a lot of natural talent but that does not in itself mean more than that; and the criticisms are consistent but don't seem to register. So this is why I ignore things; I think that kind of critique may be very useful but it's kind of blunt and I don't know really if anyone wants it.

When I got my shit together in music, it was nothing_but criticism, there was no stroking or coddling. "Oh, that was great" is not constructive when not very true. But here, the peer group may just not know what to look for at all, and can very much relate to this production and the goal is really some EZ validation. In which case I'm an intrusion.
I get what you're saying. And in all honesty, I'm not sure I'm truly qualified to criticize anything given that I myself have so much to learn. Something that took me a very long time to realize.

On the other side of the coin, I know (or at least I believe) that people who post here WANT feedback and are disappointed when they don't get it. To that end, I try to make them feel like their efforts here are not for nothing.

It's a subject that is far above my intellectual level to truly grasp because at the end of the day, when I listen to music, I either like it or I don't like it and all I can do is give whatever inadequate reasons why as my level of technical know-how is vastly limited.

Somehow I feel that I'm in the majority in that respect.

At least around these parts.

User avatar
jancivil
KVRAF
18944 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from No Location

Re: Heathlands - Pastoral orchestral composition

Post Sun May 26, 2019 11:02 am

Well, the reasons for I don't like this are based in my experience, which was critical. it's boring to me because reasons.

I don't know that someone in the community will deal very well with the hard criticism (if I have yet to observe that specifically), or that we can all make the distinction between being critical and being negative (some people here believe they're quite good at disguising what they're really doing as 'criticism'), in the moment. So I don't tend to comment unless I like something about it. And I'm not a chameleon on that. Maybe if it's specifics on the mix they want some more perspective on. Albeit I don't take myself as any great expert.

mediumaevum
KVRist
181 posts since 14 Feb, 2013

Re: Heathlands - Pastoral orchestral composition

Post Sun May 26, 2019 11:48 am

jancivil wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 10:32 am
My expectations are realistic, however. I don't know what the OP wants from the community, because the feedback, typically constructive, doesn't amount to any adjustment of the m.o.
In all honesty, I won't adjust this particular track anyway. But I actually first posted a soundcloud link. When I'm posting a soundcloud link and not a youtube-link, it means the track is not finished and I'm taking in ideas/constructive critique.

None of this happened, actually I got zero (0) comments here, but elsewhere I was told it was a good composition and well orchestrated.

So I decided to move on an publish it on youtube.

What I do want to know is which orchestral considerations I could take into account NEXT TIME I compose something.

You said that my compositions sounds similar... I can't hear that. Can you elaborate on this?

You think my orchestration lacks something. Could you explain?

I can never grow my orchestral skills if all I have to do is study theory but never get my practice reviewed.

Its like if you go to school and read books and listens to the teacher - but when you want to apply what you're taught in the real world, nobody cares.

As for commenting on other people's tracks here, my taste is classical/film soundtrack or classical choir. These genres are a shortage here. But the critique has been noted and I will react to it.

Return to “Music Cafe”