any future for MacBooks in music production ?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What model did you get?

aMUSEd wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 4:07 pm What model did you get?
MBP 15 inch (2018) - 2.9 Ghz Intel Core i9 (6 cores) - 16 GB RAM - Intel UHD Graphics 630 1546 MB - 512 GB SSD - 4 Thunderbolt 3 ports.

and a Universal Audio Arrow audio interface which has Thunderbolt 3/USB-C, it just needed a firmware update and now it runs smooth, no audio glitches so far after about an hour of constant testing.

All USB devices also work smoothly using the adapter cables sold by Apple.

In the meantime all the „fixed“ holes might slow down intel chips more and more, lol.
https://9to5mac.com/2019/05/14/intel-zo ... ility-mac/
Apple hurry up with own chips for mac or make iPads finally more „pro“.

Sampleconstruct wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 4:52 pm
MBP 15 inch (2018) - 2.9 Ghz Intel Core i9 (6 cores) - 16 GB RAM - Intel UHD Graphics 630 1546 MB - 512 GB SSD - 4 Thunderbolt 3 ports.

and a Universal Audio Arrow audio interface which has Thunderbolt 3/USB-C, it just needed a firmware update and now it runs smooth, no audio glitches so far after about an hour of constant testing.

You mean USB to Thunderbolt? Are these USB2 or 3 devices?

Thanks

aMUSEd wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 7:37 am
Sampleconstruct wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 4:52 pm

You mean USB to Thunderbolt? Are these USB2 or 3 devices?

Thanks
Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) -> USB 2 - I'm using several USB2 devices, iLok, e-Licenser, external drive on a USB2-hub, no problems whatsoever.
And I've not ha a single audio glitch so far, it seems that all the issues I read about don't occur on my new Macbook Pro at all, of course that doesn't help the people which are having issues.

Interesting...another silent upgrade from Apple.
Now you can get an 8-core i9 Macbook pro (2.3 or 2.4 GHz). It seems the price is also still the same as the previous (which is expensive of course anyway).
Mmhhh......https://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/

My 6-core is 2.9gHz. there appears to be no 8-core of that clock speed

jancivil wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 9:52 pm My 6-core is 2.9gHz. there appears to be no 8-core of that clock speed
That overclocking speed sounds pretty tempting. 5.0!!!

Let the thermal throttling begin!

CircuitTree wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 10:23 pm
jancivil wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 9:52 pm My 6-core is 2.9gHz. there appears to be no 8-core of that clock speed
Yep the new one does go to 5. Mine, to 4.8

apparently when one core hits 100% this kicks in.
it won't do all cores like that, due to massive overheating.

jancivil wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 11:10 pm
CircuitTree wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 10:23 pm
Yep the new one does go to 5. Mine, to 4.8

apparently when one core hits 100% this kicks in.
it won't do all cores like that, due to massive overheating.
I wonder if that makes this cpu more effective than the previous 2018 one. I’m still rocking my maxed out 2015 model with no problems so far.

Whatever CPU intense tasks I've thrown at my new 2018 MBPro, be it several instances of Kaleidoscope at a sample buffer of 256 in Logic or IRCAM stretch mode in Falcon playing 4 or more polyphonic voices, it's been a breeze. I'm impressed...

My new 17" HP Zbook came yesterday after my 2011 MBP finally died (the GPU for the 4th time).

I deliberately underspecced to it an i7-8850H (2.6/4.3). Sitting on my lap and the CPU is doing 70 degrees with my biggest VCVRack patches. The case is barely warm and I don't need a cooling pad. Fans barely audible.

With the i9 MBP the CPU would hit 97 degrees with a handful of modules. Fans at 6000rpm. No way that was every going on my lap.

Windows has not become any less horrible since I last used it in 2006 though :(

Meanwhile, on the sunny side of the street, my humble Core i5 doesn't even have a fan and only gets warm when I am rendering things out of my host. In normal playback it runs cool as a cucumber.
Sampleconstruct wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 4:52 pmAll USB devices also work smoothly using the adapter cables sold by Apple.
And would no doubt work equally well with much cheaper cables from eBay. I get mine made-to-order from China for around $3 each, via eBay. I've got USB cables from 0.3m to 3m with a mix of straight and angled connectors that perfectly fit all my outboard gear.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Does it ever reach the 2.9 even for more than a few seconds?
Not sure about all the thermal throttle dramas i read about. Real or not?
In some tests the i7 was even better.
I think a new generation might be as good with less GHz and also might not suffer as much from thermal throttle. I don‘t know.
But the 8-core could be interesting since multi-core is more important for me.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”