Cherry Audio Voltage modular

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Voltage Modular Core + Electro Drums Voltage Modular Ignite Voltage Modular Nucleus

Does somebody know if it's possible or planned to use Voltage Modular as a FX Plugin?

kopa wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 5:41 pm Does somebody know if it's possible or planned to use Voltage Modular as a FX Plugin?
voltage modular can already be used as a FX plugin. so it is possible, there is a FX version of the plugin.

mrj1nx wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 6:57 am cherryDan > Is there a way in Voltage Modular to turn mono modules into a poly synth without making one copy per voice? Like a container where everything inside is polyphonic, or similar? For example, could I make a poly synth with those new MS or TB modules? (without patching it up with one per voice)
Not exactly, but there is an easy shortcut. Create a single voice in it's own cabinet. Then, right-click on the cabinet and select "Duplicate Cabinet With External Cables." This feature makes it very easy to duplicate an entire voice. You can then hook a Poly CV Converter module up to each cabinet, and create a polyphonic patch in no time.

I hope that helps!
- Dan @ Cherry Audio

Hi,
kopa wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 5:41 pm Does somebody know if it's possible or planned to use Voltage Modular as a FX Plugin?
As WasteLand answered above, Voltage Modular is installed as both an instrument ("Voltage Modular") and an effect ("Voltage Modular FX") in every format (VST, VST3, AU, AAX), so you can already use it as an effect. There's a preset category called "Inserts" in the Core Presets that show some unique and interesting preset configurations.

It's my opinion that using Voltage Modular as an effect is one of the most interesting and seldom-explored ways of using it! Processing audio through modulated filters, delay feedback loops, parallel processing through phasers and choruses, etc., can lead the very bizarre, unexpected, and frankly cool results. Plus you can use the Plug-in Host modules to create effects-within-effects. The more you think about it, the more interesting it becomes.

- Dan @ Cherry Audio

cherryDan wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:58 pm Also, if anyone is interested in learning about the origins of Voltage Modular, my career in music software, and more exciting topics, I was interviewed recently by Darwin Grosse for his Art + Music + Technology blog:

https://artmusictech.libsyn.com/podcast ... erry-audio

Enjoy!
- Dan @ Cherry Audio
That was a really interesting interview. Thanks for the heads up!
For streaming and free music downloads visit http://kennethrobertsmusic.com/

Hi,

We are proud to announce the release of the PSP eFeMerizer - an outstanding frequency modulator for Voltage Modular!
http://www.pspaudioware.com/voltage/psp_efemerizer/

Waiting for your comments.
Antoni Ozynski

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCQWKyXX27c
(promo movie by Venus Theory https://venustheory.com/)
Last edited by PSP on Tue May 21, 2019 5:35 am, edited 4 times in total.

Waiting for your comments!
Antoni Ozynski
www.PSPaudioware.com

Nice presets ! Controlling FM is always a challenge.

Thanks for adding it to the bundles.

Maybe a stupid question, but has VM midi out? To control my daw's instruments or vst's? Thx

mispoes wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:15 am Maybe a stupid question, but has VM midi out? To control my daw's instruments or vst's? Thx
Yes.
https://docs.cherryaudio.com/cherry-aud ... idi-output

Thanks!

mispoes wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:15 am Maybe a stupid question, but has VM midi out? To control my daw's instruments or vst's? Thx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

disclaimer: i love VM, i have big plans for it.

but:

when i use it in cubase 10.0.20 pro
on a self-build rig:

windows 7 pro 64 bits
i7 6700k @ 4.4 (conservative overclock, c-states off, etc)
32gb
3xssd
nvidia geforce gtx 1060 6gb (only driver, max performance for cubase)
motu ultralite mk3 hybrid
-EDIT- 3 screens, with all different resolutions (for reading small plugins...), main monitor just FHD.

it isn't useable, my normal latency is 256 samples, if you i go to 512, or 1024, opening an effect, dragging a window, or opening the mixer: crackles.

i have also softube modular; i tested it with patches that seems to me as complex as with i test, on 256 samples it plays well. adding an effect, and an instrument, simple testing, no problem. VM will behave strangely when i tweak the effect and/or insrument.

multi-thread option: impossible to use. in cubase.

my own presets aren't that complex, yet.

the problem occurs also in abelton live 10 suite. but less pronounced, i.e. sometimes a crackle. better.

in reaper (latest version); it works, without problems, even my own strange presets, with plugin hosts.

standalone mode, 256 samples, it works as it should.

my question: does anyone has the same problem, it can be, or it is system related.

windows up to date, nvida driver up to date (not always the best, but used several versions, no difference).

is it a windows 7 problem? a problem with the soundcard? i have the maschine mk3, same problems, but acts slightly different, no other asio sound cards (yes one, but not in the pc anymore).

it seems, because, opening the mixer causes glitches, moving a window causes glitches, that is graphic related. latencymon gives dx/nvidia related peaks.

is the nvidia card the problem?

tried several things, further tweaked windows, newest bios (i didn't want to update to the newest..), opengl on/off (off makes it worse), deinstalled virus scanner (avast) (has caused audio problems in the past).

no other plugin give me this problem, sometimes reaktor (but i believe some modules aren't optimized), but reaktor works most of the times without problems. and graphics do not influence, starting a browser..., the glitches in reaktor, it is only in a very small amount of patches, 5% or less.

i will be at one time on windows 10 pro (seperate license, for fall-back...), perhaps on windows 10 the problems could disappear.

cherry audio knows of my problems. first they said, it is cubase 9.5, and yes it caused problems with nvidia, and VM was a greater mess in it. now i have cubase 10 pro, the sale..., but still have problems.

every setting i know of, i use.

o yes, it acts better, when the track where VM is on it, isn't armed. because of asio guard, that works only on not armed tracks.

EDIT 2: VM works also much better when the plugin window is hidden.... i.e. closed...

(if someone is reading this...)

Have you turned on Open GL, or Multi-Threaded Mixing, in the preferences? You may find these offer significant performance improvements.

- Dan @ Cherry Audio

cherryDan wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 5:39 pm Have you turned on Open GL, or Multi-Threaded Mixing, in the preferences? You may find these offer significant performance improvements.

- Dan @ Cherry Audio
opengl is on, multi-thread mixing makes cubase max out, so only pieces of sound, more noise than sound..

multi-threading works in maschine, ableton, reaper, but i goes haywire in cubase 10 pro.

as i mentioned, when closing the plugin window, it behaves better, not multi-threaded, in cubase 10 pro.

standalone also works great. a patch worthy of to bring a cpu down on his knees, from softube modular, on 256 samples, works in cubase. no dropouts.

cubase 10 pro seems to handle graphics in his own way, it looks like they bite eachother..

VM is tested on cubase? but perhaps only on windows 10? and i don't rule out there something wrong with my windows 7, in maschine it behaves well, VM, even with multi-threaded on. and maschine is not the most optimized "DAW".

i repeat: i like VM, and i am interested in buying the psp bundle, that i didn't consider first.

i can use VM via rewire, via reaper, but i also want to use it as effects, i can work around it.

but cubase 10 pro is my main DAW, only certain things i make within maschine or ableton live 10 suite (most of the times sample based arrangments, home brew samples..).

when rewired, sometimes a crackle, but it is doable.

i do not get what is wrong, the only read-out i really can see is latencymon, the dxgkrnl.sys seems to overload mostly, second the nvidia, nvldddmkm.sys.

i used also the soundcard from maschine mk3, no big changes.

when i use a daw/maschine, i always use the high performance profile, i.e. 100% processor, no screensaver, all usb ports energy control disabled, etc. a tweaked profile.

i have mentioned this also on the forum of cherry audio, other name, with 1 preset, and one crash report made by the java engine, after closing ableton live 10 suite. with a strange preset, the preset that i posted there. seems to be another problem. or perhaps, there could be a relation.

i am not anymore that into pc's, completely tweaking windows, knowing, all inside out. programming days are over. and dsp is not my craft.

so i try a lot, but still my guess is, because, opening the mixer consele for example, gives crackles, that it is graphics related.

with other projects, plugins, VST or VSTi, effects or soft-synths, or soft-modulars, latencymon is quiet.

it isn't the fastest proc on other, but per real core still one of more faster ones, the new zen generation will come of amd, and will outperform the single core, is the gossip.

an i7-6700k is quite capable.

softube modular and reaktor, with big patches, all work well, even with 256 samples latency.

i am lost what the problem is, perhaps i must take my loss, i use VM via reaper/rewire. or prepare things in reaper, no problem in a way.

but you can understand, i hope, that in the DAW i am most used to, and control the best (maschine i can control also on the same level, live 10 suite/push 2 is very new to me, but learning it very quickly), that i want VM.

as an effect plugin it behaves better, even on an armed track.

the only solution i can think of, is installing windows 10. and perhaps it works better on windows 10, that's my hope.

why doesn''t VM won't work in cubase 10.0.20 pro, on a windows 7 pro 64 bit machine?

i tried several diagnostic programs, but windows can handle the strangest things i do, within cubase 10 pro.

if i compare what others can do, on similar systems, there is no difference, perhaps it seems that my system can handle quite a lot, for an oldy (thank you amd, for releasing a half year later, the core stampede. but i had to buy the thing, because, hardware faults. but that is a different story again).

EDIT: thank you for your response, we have talked about this a few times, and i thought cubase 10 pro would solve it, it didn't..
perhaps optimazitions are focused on win 10, for example there is a newer chipset driver for my motherboard, only for win 10, win 7 drivers are abandoned, it seems. perhaps the multi-threading "clash" would not appear on win 10. i do not know.

Return to “Instruments”