Share your shortcircuit sampler techniques here!

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

keyman_sam wrote:Automapping keyranges :
Name your wave files containing the root key notes, such as C4, D4, etc. Now, drag all your samples into the multi view, and SC will automatically map out your samples AND spread them out evenly, such that there are no gaps.

Automapping for velocity splits :
Name your wave files with velocity information such as _064 _032, etc., and select all those files and drag and drop them under a single key. SC will take care of the velocity splits for ya. Note that Highlife can be used to auto sample VSTs and include velocity information in the samples themselves. :o

This method doesnt work when you use "Load samples". It only works with drag and drop into the mapping editor.
I can't get the automapping to work no matter what. Drag and drop won't work. Driving me nuts.

Could someone please tell me how to change the outputs from the default 8 stereo to, say, 16 mono in Shortcircuit 2? The spec from the download page states: "Multiple outputs. (max 16 mono AND 8 stereo-pairs per instance)", yet I can figure no way of achieving the 16 mono.

I think I've figured out that Shortcircuit 2 is half-baked, so can't be configured for 16 outputs. However, I've now downloaded v1.1.2, but I can't get the decay time to lengthen. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Uhmmm, that's strange, what do you mean exactly? Do you mean that you can't change the value in the decay slot?

I can change the value - even up to seconds - but it has no effect. The sound continues to be played for a matter of milliseconds.

I'm sorry if this sounds dumb, but I have no idea how much you know, so forgive me for asking: do you mean that even if you hold down the key the sound stops? Even if the decay is long, if you just tap the key, the sound will stop immediately, it will continue to the end of the decay phase only if you hold the key down.
And: are you sure the sample you loaded is long enough to have a decay phase? A sample can't play for any longer than its own length, unless it is looped.
Again, sorry if all this was obvious, but from what you write I can't figure out what your level of knowledge is.

Yes, it had to be held down to play the full length. However, I've now figured out what I was doing wrong. I was adjusting 'Decay' when I should have been adjusting 'Release'. Duh!

My problem now is figuring out how to get back to the screen with the keyboard at the bottom after clicking on the sample on the left to access the individual controls.

Oh, I assumed you had intentionally set the release to zero ;-) Before anything else, I suggest you familiarize with the ADSR concept :) That is the basic, fundamental concept when you're dealing with electronic instruments.
I don't remember how to go back to the keyboard thing right now, if nobody replies, I'll have a look tonight and tell you.

I'm familiar with the ADSR concept, I just got caught up in some confusion, probably due to late-night tiredness. Thanks for your help, anyway.

I see, OK :) I can relate to late-night tiredness, I do the most incredibly silly things when I'm tired ;-)

I figured out how to get back to the screen with the keyboard. It's a matter of clicking the area labelled '(multi)' just above the list of samples.

OK, good :)

Return to “Production Techniques”