Cubase Drum Map Setup and Other Questions.

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yep. So is trying to figure something out that can't be done. That is a buzzkill.
“The American fascist would prefer not to use violence. His method is to poison the channels of public information.”
-Henry A. Wallace

Are you talking about only showing the rows that have drum hits on them, thus hiding the empty ones? If so, that can be done... I’ve been doing the trial and came across that command in the menu. I’m figuring it doesn’t change the actual drum map but only consolidates the window to show only the relevant parts and not extraneous space. But you may know this already. :)

No. I just want to see the rows where there are possible drum hits. I want the Drum Editor to be a blank slate waing for my input. It apparently can't be done, which seems silly to me.
“The American fascist would prefer not to use violence. His method is to poison the channels of public information.”
-Henry A. Wallace

Bombadil wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 5:22 am No. I just want to see the rows where there are possible drum hits. I want the Drum Editor to be a blank slate waing for my input. It apparently can't be done, which seems silly to me.
If you specify in Drum Map Setup 'Empty Map' the notes you hit will appear thusly (this is the Drum Editor sized for C1 to A4):
drum editor.jpg
I don't know what a blank slate means to you for this.
Once you input notes of course they'll show here.
Empty Map with all that 'Sound 37' crap deleted in Drum Map Setup is literally a blank slate.

Once you size that window, you can use a key command to Open Drum Editor or in 'Windows...', activate it.
I live in Key Editor and I have it sized like that so the two main windows are always open, and KE is exposed below Project window while it's exposed above, other than that both are occupying the entire screen. For Audio Part editing I may leave the window open and access in 'Windows...'. or just go to project window for that access.

OR, you have your editors docked in the 'Lower Zone' which is more the Logic way.
docked.jpg

Either way if you want only so much showing, once sized if you leave them be they'll appear as you want them
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hi Jan,

Thanks, I'm trying this, but I am not getting it. I'll be back...
-Henry A. Wallace

No, it isn't working as you suggest. Blank slate means no events entered into it yet.
I loaded an empty project;
Loaded ADD2;
Went to drum editor setup,
chose 'empty map;
Hit the relevant notes on my midi controller, and....

Nothing. Still starts at C-2.
-Henry A. Wallace

that's not what I mean. You won't be able to change the 'starts at C-2' if that's what I think it means. The display in an editor is the entire MIDI range, period. WRONG!
But they're NEW

You can size it so only the range you want shows; there, "sized for C1 to A4"

I'm still buffaloed ... I guess you mean there still appears C-2 in the drum editor. (There's no way there's any *events* yet, outside of a weird problem.)
I'm supposing the notes you entered (an event) are the ones recorded. They could be off an octave; Cubase's middle C is C3.
Last edited by jancivil on Wed May 22, 2019 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

You may already have seen this, but here goes...

From page 848 of the (Pro 10) manual:
Show Drum Sounds in use by Instrument
Shows all drum sounds for which a pad, etc. is in use for the instrument. This option is only available if the instrument can provide this information.
(My emphasis.)
If your drumbox thing doesn't provide the info that Cubase wants, you'll get all 128 MIDI notes. End of.
I suspect it may be something to do with vst3, which is why this option works with GrooveAgent and virtually no other. (Forgive the slight, unintentional, pun.)

I didn't RTFM! :lol:

works with BFD3, except C#-2 and E-1 show with no events
so far

yeah, does not work perfectly with BFD3, small exceptions with empties on 3 tracks, a lot missing from #4 but no empties

If Addictive Drums is not exposing a map like this, it's probably not going to happen.

Googly Smythe wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 9:52 pm You may already have seen this, but here goes...

From page 848 of the (Pro 10) manual:
Show Drum Sounds in use by Instrument
Shows all drum sounds for which a pad, etc. is in use for the instrument. This option is only available if the instrument can provide this information.
(My emphasis.)
If your drumbox thing doesn't provide the info that Cubase wants, you'll get all 128 MIDI notes. End of.
I suspect it may be something to do with vst3, which is why this option works with GrooveAgent and virtually no other. (Forgive the slight, unintentional, pun.)
I read as much of the documentation on the subject I could find, as well as looked for a solution on Youtube before I posted here, so yeah.

I'm just gonna go with the drum map that XLN provided for me. Just have to re-arrange the drum voices in the order I find works best for me.
-Henry A. Wallace

[quote=jancivil post_id=7408182 time=1558562524
[/quote]

Hi Jan,

how do I independently set the drum editor grid quantization for each voice? I had a good look at the manual, and didn't see anything. Anytime I reset the quantize grid for one voice, say the snare, it changes the quantize grid for all of the voices.
-Henry A. Wallace

Yeah, no, it's the whole editor.
You can see two grids at the same time in Key or Drum Editor, or the Project Window for that matter, which is to say the default at 16ths and whatever the grid quantize presets display.
The most basic of course being triplets, or dotted values. So, 8th note triplet grid / '5-lets' is 3 to a quarter note times 5, = 15 to a quarter so you are seeing the duplet value, 8ths 16ths, and a 15:4 wherein both triplets and pentuplets factor. Or more basically you can look at 12/8 in terms of 24/16 or the display 'quantize preset' is dotted quarters or 8ths etc to have the compound meter

That's what I was referring to. There is no independent timeline per parts.

ok, thanks.
-Henry A. Wallace

EG: This is a bar of 6/8 and then one of 3/8;
as 12/16 it is 4 beats essentially, ie., 4 dotted 8ths
the fill comes across as "triplets", but the "triplets" are obv. the 16th grid;
but in the 3/8 bar I did 7 in the time of 3/16 (dotted 8th, or half the bar).
about as cute as it gets.png
So I'm able to visualize duple values and triple vis a vis compound time, subdivide either and see how accurate or not I was with a septuplet. owing to the quantize presets window, ie., the grid basis is 16th dotted, the tuplet is 7. Your normal 16th dotted is 8:6 or 4:3, times 7 = 7 to 3/16 ie., 28 to 6/8 or 14 to 3/8.

That's about as cute as Cubase will get. This is a little abstruse, and may be of no use to most people but it does describe something relatively powerful without providing more than one timebase per se. It helps my damaged brain.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”