Studio One Pro 4.5

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Professional

Disappointed that something similar to the Cubase (but better and easier to use) Logic Editor, Transformer and Input Transformer was not included.

The only thing left i can think of to add to the mixer (that I want) is the ability to have dual pan pots for stereo panning instead of a single pot. At that point I believe it'll be the best mixer out there.

Randomize notes
Fill notes
Mirror
Plus chord track
Massive time saver and creative generative tool

rodanmusic wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:07 pm The only thing left i can think of to add to the mixer (that I want) is the ability to have dual pan pots for stereo panning instead of a single pot. At that point I believe it'll be the best mixer out there.
That's one I'm surprised about. Pro Tools treats stereo like Dual Mono allowing much greater stereo panning flexibility. And it can run effects in dual-mono mode too from what I understand, which seems super cool. You'd think with all the updates geared towards enticing Pro Tools user, dual pan pots would be an obvious one.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:12 pm
rodanmusic wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:07 pm The only thing left i can think of to add to the mixer (that I want) is the ability to have dual pan pots for stereo panning instead of a single pot. At that point I believe it'll be the best mixer out there.
That's one I'm surprised about. Pro Tools treats stereo like Dual Mono allowing much greater stereo panning flexibility. And it can run effects in dual-mono mode too from what I understand, which seems super cool. You'd think with all the updates geared towards enticing Pro Tools user, dual pan pots would be an obvious one.
Maybe the work required to get to that point is greater than expected considering how you are saying Pro Tools works.

Hopefully we'll get lucky and it will come with the next major update.

chk071 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 7:44 pm
Orbit-50 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 6:43 pm
SLiC wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 4:23 pm Downloaded, everything looks and feels the same...
God, those colors still. I was praying that they'd consider giving more options in that department. Still no real way to customize the color scheme. Jesus, I'm trying to get back on this bus, but they just don't get the fact that you have to stare at this software in order to use it. It's just a dark ugly blur, with crummy ass colors. Studio One is cool as hell as far as features are concerned, but they really need to give better theme customization features. Is that too much to ask for?
Just my opinion, but... i totally got used to the way Studio One looks. I first thought it was all a bit simple and bland looking, but, now i really appreciate the look. If anything then Cubase looks weird, for example, when i try it once again. For me, the look of Studio One is basic, but efficient. Guess that's highly subjective though. :)
Totally get what you're saying man, and I'm sure lot's of people are cool with it, but for me, there's no happy medium for color adjustments. I took some time one day, to try to figure out exactly what the problem was, and I think it was something like you cant add or subtract the blacks or something like that so the colors can't really be changed much. They just stick out like a sore thumb and that doesn't help my workflow at all. The colors don't work with the GUI, instead they fight with it. I also think it's really time that they made the borders around everything just a little bit thicker, or at least allow you to make them lighter or darker so I can quickly distinguish one thing from another. Also, what the hell happened to the tool icons since v4. They look burned or something and they never fixed that. That is just piss poor GUI design. I'm not saying that every other DAW looks awesome, because none of them do, but at least I can get them decent enough to look at for more than 20 minutes without getting turned off and just walking away from them. That's all. I love Studio One, but I just can't use it. I'm pissed about that.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 6:41 pm
chk071 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 5:12 pm
Trancit wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 4:52 pm Only the plugin manager doesn´t do anything for me... not sure what it is supposed to do different...
"Out of the box" i can only see that you can easily manage your blacklisted plugins now, and also that you can hide plugins by vendor X now.
Can you rename plugins in it? Plugin aliases seem like a no-brainer type of enhancement, but Studio One would only let you rename a single instance of a plugin, and Cubase doesn't do it at all. I'd like to get rid of all the stupid prefixes on things like "Universal Audio Urei LA-2A Silver" and change that to "LA2A Silver." Same for "T-Racks 5 Precision Limiter/Bus Compressor" or whatever.
I expected this too, but I didn´t see any way for that...
Nevertheless I don´t know, if I tell you something new, that renaming of plugins is already available since many years...
All you have to do are to change the entries in the Plugins-en.settings file...which is editable with a normal text editor...
On Windows it´s located in: C:\Users\"Your user name"\AppData\Roaming\PreSonus\Studio One 4\x64\
Every scanned plugin has an indepth entry in there including "name: ..."

EDIT: the .setting file have an addition in the name depending of what language your using...
For english language it´s Plugins-en.settings and e.g. for german users (it depends to what language you set up to use in Studio One) it´s Plugins-de.settings... so you have to edit the right one...

chk071 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 7:44 pm
Orbit-50 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 6:43 pm
SLiC wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 4:23 pm Downloaded, everything looks and feels the same...
God, those colors still. I was praying that they'd consider giving more options in that department. Still no real way to customize the color scheme. Jesus, I'm trying to get back on this bus, but they just don't get the fact that you have to stare at this software in order to use it. It's just a dark ugly blur, with crummy ass colors. Studio One is cool as hell as far as features are concerned, but they really need to give better theme customization features. Is that too much to ask for?
Just my opinion, but... i totally got used to the way Studio One looks. I first thought it was all a bit simple and bland looking, but, now i really appreciate the look. If anything then Cubase looks weird, for example, when i try it once again. For me, the look of Studio One is basic, but efficient. Guess that's highly subjective though. :)
There is one thing which drives me crazy in Studio One regarding the UI:

The way the miniature overview in Folder Clips are looking and acting...
If I compare this to Cubase or to Bitwig, it´s a joke in S1...

1. Why are there that huge spaces between
2. Why do they have that ugly underlay
3. and the biggest issue: Why on earth isn´t it setup like others have ... in S1 with more content or smaller track height the miniature overview get tiny black lines and then disappear leaving a blank clip with no indicator at all that this a folder clip... in Bitwig i.e. the overview lanes are restricted to show only the first ones of the folder content which can be displayed correctly at the given track height... done...easy but effective...

Is anybody aware of a feature request at Presonus where I can vote for a change/better option...
I did a little search but nothing came up.

I respect S1 greatly, but the interface just doesn't delineate stuff clearly enough for me. I find myself chasing things that are in plain sight. Even when I know where something is, my eye doesn't settle on it right away. I've spent a lot of time with it, and never become nearly as facile as I am with some other DAWs.

The odd thing is, the main page and the project page are much, much cleaner and easier.

In general I am fine with the looks of S1...

For me it´s really this folder clips thingy and what I miss are numeric peak readouts on normal mixer tracks

jonljacobi wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:49 pm I respect S1 greatly, but the interface just doesn't delineate stuff clearly enough for me. I find myself chasing things that are in plain sight. Even when I know where something is, my eye doesn't settle on it right away. I've spent a lot of time with it, and never become nearly as facile as I am with some other DAWs.
That's how I feel also.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

Trancit wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:35 pm
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 6:41 pm
chk071 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 5:12 pm
Trancit wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 4:52 pm Only the plugin manager doesn´t do anything for me... not sure what it is supposed to do different...
"Out of the box" i can only see that you can easily manage your blacklisted plugins now, and also that you can hide plugins by vendor X now.
Can you rename plugins in it? Plugin aliases seem like a no-brainer type of enhancement, but Studio One would only let you rename a single instance of a plugin, and Cubase doesn't do it at all. I'd like to get rid of all the stupid prefixes on things like "Universal Audio Urei LA-2A Silver" and change that to "LA2A Silver." Same for "T-Racks 5 Precision Limiter/Bus Compressor" or whatever.
I expected this too, but I didn´t see any way for that...
Nevertheless I don´t know, if I tell you something new, that renaming of plugins is already available since many years...
All you have to do are to change the entries in the Plugins-en.settings file...which is editable with a normal text editor...
On Windows it´s located in: C:\Users\"Your user name"\AppData\Roaming\PreSonus\Studio One 4\x64\
Every scanned plugin has an indepth entry in there including "name: ..."
I just tried that with the UAD plugins. It didn't work. Here's what I did:

1. Opened vstplugins.settings
2. Located the UAD plugins - checked out the layout
3. Did a find and replace on: name="UAD_ to name="

Result: the settings file now had entries that looked like this: name="4k Channel Strip"

4. Launched Studio One

Result: Every single UAD was rescanned on launch. The new plugin names included the UAD prefix again. So this basically had no effect and I ended up back where I started.

Let me know if I messed up the procedure, but I was optimistic for a moment and ultimately didn't get the results I was looking for.

I dont think VST supports multi mono and if you want dual pan pots, you can use the included dual pan plugin for now.

I feel like such an outsider, I'm perfectly fine with the way Studio One looks :shrug:

SeeingInMidi wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 12:24 am
I dont think VST supports multi mono and if you want dual pan pots, you can use the included dual pan plugin for now.
True. I don't know much about whether it's a Pro Tools thing specifically, or just a feature of AAX.

On the other hand, I kind of wish DAW makers pushed the capabilities of their plugin hosting a bit more. Sonar has oversampling on render. Will literally upsample audio going into the channel, tell the plugins they're running at higher sample rate, then downsample on the way out. Great feature. Reaper has a Mix knob for every plugin. Fantastic! No reason a DAW couldn't quietly split up stereo signals behind the scenes and run duplicate instances of a VST plugin to create a dual-mono mode for everything. The user would only see the CPU usage increase.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”