Propellerhead Software Names Niklas Agevik as CEO

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If you're happy we're happy.

:-)
(just remember you don't need to make everyone else appear wrong to feel right yourself)
(oh and many DAWs have been made by "real" musicians, probably most actually)

ictools wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 3:21 am The owner and creator of Presonus played in a rock band, doesn't get anymore authentic then that.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh, he played in a rock band? Is that really true? That's unheard of!

You won't find any "authentic" musicians amongst any of the other DAW makers of course...

Why would DAW makers be interested in music at all? Presonus is the total exception here because *gasp* their CTO played in a rock band!!! :band:

https://youtu.be/g0pIrzpZ1dg
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

ShawnG wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 11:52 pm Interestingly, I own and use Studio One. I like it, It has lots of Innovative features, and it does some old tricks in interesting ways. I gotta tell you though, when I have it up in front of me, It does not strike me particularly as the sort of software that was created by folks who are "musicians first". In fact I would say that it strikes me as software designed by people who are "engineers first". Not always a bad thing by any stretch of the imagination, but if you tell me that one of the 2 DAWs is designed by a corporate bureaucracy, and the other by musicians, I'm gonna pick Reason as the one designed by musicians, with all that is both good and bad with that eventuality.

Yes, absolutely. Almost all music software is made by musicians of course, why else would they do it?
But of course the role it plays in their live will differ. With some, such as Charly Steinberg, it's obvious that it plays a big role in their life and they have a lot of credibility. With Matthias Juwan I get the impression that it's not so important for him anymore.
I spend most of my time developing software for musicians. I've been playing bass guitar in some bands in the past.
So it's silly to even mention that he's a musician, as other DAW-makers have a world of credibility more as musicians.

With Propellerheads everything seems very tasty [edit: I mean tasteful] to me. The music they use for their videos, the instruments you can see in the background at their offices, etc.

And this good taste is present all over Reason and you totally get the feeling that it has been made by musicians who know exactly what they are doing for musicians.

What is the first thing you do when recording guitar, bass, violin, etc.? You tune it. That is something you always do. So you need a tuner. And if you want to do that within your DAW (such as Studio One) you first have to load a tuner plugin as an insert. Then open it's GUI. Yadda yadda. Made by musicians? Yes it is, but why then is there not a tuner on each track that can be switched on and be visible with a single click? What about simply having the input metering switch to a tuner? A simple button and that's it - disabled if the track isn't record armed - won't even use any CPU. Wouldn't that be great? Wouldn't something like that be worthy of the phrase "made by musicians for musicians"?

Oh, Reason has that already?
Last edited by jens on Tue May 21, 2019 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

ictools wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 9:44 pm
EnochLight wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 5:22 pm
ictools wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 4:13 pm The reason Presonus and Studio One are so successful is because they're run by musicians first.

Not video game connoisseurs or business entrepreneurs.
It's just as likely you're making a gross mischaracterization. Don't think for a second that Presonus aren't run by people who know how to run a business first. ;)
That's odd, because if you visit their website or read any of their literature it speaks of completely opposite of your view.

Here's just an example, you'll find plenty more.

"Music is our life. PreSonus is our day job."

Looks like you’ve already have your answer, but yeah - call it spin (or rather, marketing).

PreSonus is successful because they have a diversified product portfolio. You do realize that Studio One represents a tiny part of their sales, right?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

double post
Last edited by jens on Tue May 21, 2019 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

He's just a fanboi...

ictools wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 2:42 pm Image

How about, instead of spending the next 5 years trying to be more like linear style DAWs, and trying to accommodate singer/songwriter types, they could go back to their roots that attracted their user base in the first place?

Why not build upon their wiring concept and push it forward? Why not bring the cables to the front of the DAW and harness the power of the modular system?

Sure, there are plenty of modular instruments already available, but what if it was all tightly integrated within the DAW? Wouldn't that attract the modular, cv and hardware crowd, instead of trying for the linear based community? Because, there are already plenty of DAWs vying for that space in the audio world.

An example would be Live and Bitwig carving out their own niche in the marketplace.

Reason suffers from an identity crisis and really should consider going back to their roots and pushing that concept forward into the future, instead of trying to be like everyone else.
Quality over quantity...

ictools wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 3:00 pm Quality over quantity...
...has been part of Propellerhead's unwritten philosophy for some time, it would seem. :D
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 3:02 pm
ictools wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 3:00 pm Quality over quantity...
...has been part of Propellerhead's unwritten philosophy for some time, it would seem. :D
ictools wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 5:35 pm 1. recent expansion of its management team

2. an entrepreneurial leader with experience from both large and small organizations.

3. take the company on an expansion journey where we reach new target groups

4. entrepreneurial approach is an amazing fit for what we need as a company

5. By building upon their legacy and making music making even more accessible

6. building on that foundation, growing the user base of both the desktop and mobile products.
It seems their unwritten philosophy is about to change, or wait that happened back at version 7, along with the slump in their user base and community interaction with the demise of their forum. It could have a lot to do with the quality of the comments, like the ones around here.

ictools wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 3:40 pm It seems their unwritten philosophy is about to change, or wait that happened back at version 7, along with the slump in their user base and community interaction with the demise of their forum. It could have a lot to do with the quality of the comments, like the ones around here.
It's interesting that you seem to quote yourself a lot. :party:

That said, you're again making assumptions with very little to no data to back it up. How do you know there was a "slump in their user base"? There was a slump in interaction? Were you even a part of the PUF? I mean, I was there from the start right through to the end and can attest quite easily that they interact just as much - probably more - now that they switched to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube for their interaction.

EnochLight wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 5:03 pm
ictools wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 3:40 pm It seems their unwritten philosophy is about to change, or wait that happened back at version 7, along with the slump in their user base and community interaction with the demise of their forum. It could have a lot to do with the quality of the comments, like the ones around here.
It's interesting that you seem to quote yourself a lot. :party:

That said, you're again making assumptions with very little to no data to back it up. How do you know there was a "slump in their user base"? There was a slump in interaction? Were you even a part of the PUF? I mean, I was there from the start right through to the end and can attest quite easily that they interact just as much - probably more - now that they switched to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube for their interaction.
Props most definitely screwed up when they destroyed their user forums, one of the biggest mistakes in their history regardless of how it was spun. They never recovered remotely from a stand point of engaged customers online.

Other than that I don't agree with too much ictools says.
Have you tried Vital?

Psuper wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 5:42 pm Props most definitely screwed up when they destroyed their user forums, one of the biggest mistakes in their history regardless of how it was spun. They never recovered remotely from a stand point of engaged customers online.
Of course you're welcome to disagree, but I just don't see the data to back it up. One could easily argue that they engage far more customers online now, in a manner which is in alignment with how most people engage online now (via social networking). Forums represent such an archaic form of Internet culture, people often forget how little they make up a customer base.

But, I digress...

I thought I heard the prop's forum was awful?

reggie1979 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 6:13 pm I thought I heard the prop's forum was awful?
It was largely unmoderated, and lacking modern features most forums have. If you think trolling and junk posts are a problem here, magnify that issue by a factor of 10, and that was the PUF. That's not to say that there wasn't a good community lurking underneath all that. Many of the members migrated to Reaontalk.

EnochLight wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 6:31 pm
reggie1979 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 6:13 pm I thought I heard the prop's forum was awful?
It was largely unmoderated, and lacking modern features most forums have. If you think trolling and junk posts are a problem here, magnify that issue by a factor of 10, and that was the PUF. That's not to say that there wasn't a good community lurking underneath all that. Many of the members migrated to Reaontalk.
hahaha You are spot on. I remember that. As much of a toilet as the PUF was, it had tons of character and was a totally hoppin' place though. I kind of miss it sometimes. I loved having to hold my breath before jumping straight into the sewer and getting sucked into the turbines and getting spit out the other end. They just don't make flame threads like they use to anymore. :lol:

As you said also, lurking underneath, there were a lot of you guys that owned it, and were very helpful and really cared. In the end, that's what made it all worthwhile.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”