Studio One Pro 4.5

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Professional

Downloaded, everything looks and feels the same- it is basically a lot of little tweaks, nothing very exciting but functional and useful (and free)- sets the foundation for the (paid) V5 update which will probably have some of those bigger new features people were hoping for...
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Just pre-fader metering, smoother waveforms, and input level adjustment is enough to get me excited.

This was a definite shift in gears compared to 2.5 and 3.5 which saw absolutely huge feature additions. But there are some nice little things (input trims, polarity controls on the console), including some of my own requests (improved waveform drawing, track/event locks), and the new grouping features are pretty nice. The grouping in particular seems like another attempt to go after Pro Tools users. Import/Export IO is going to be super handy too. I'd be curious about the new CPU improvements when using multi-instruments.

While none of it feels particularly big compared to those prior .5 releases, if you're already on 4, there's some nice stuff added here. It won't get me to upgrade from 3.6 though, or switch back after shifting to Cubase primarily. That wouldn't happen until Presonus really start taking MIDI seriously.

I don´t know, but I like this update very much...:

The new Midi tools are really great together with the audition of the Chord Track
CPU improvements are always welcome
Gainstaging direct on the channel before the plugins is great too
and even little things, that the search field for plugin menu is automatically in focus and improved waveform display are very very welcome...
Often the small improvements can have a very great impact... I find it always a smart move if developers not only throw in new features but afterwards take a step back and redefine the workflow by adding small changes...
This i.e. is the biggest issue in Reaper for me... features are thrown in all over the place without any sense and are mostly not touched anymore so a big :tu: for Presonus from me!!

Only the plugin manager doesn´t do anything for me... not sure what it is supposed to do different...

Trancit wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 4:52 pm Only the plugin manager doesn´t do anything for me... not sure what it is supposed to do different...
"Out of the box" i can only see that you can easily manage your blacklisted plugins now, and also that you can hide plugins by vendor X now.

Managing blacklisted plugins - finally! Hope it includes VST3

Kinda boring update...that said I can't really complain because I've wanted pre fader metering for awhile. Polarity switch, input gain, and the rms metering are useful as well.

I never had issues with cpu performance, but maybe these vst performance updates will be nice.

The midi features are meh. I don't see myself using them. Would've preferred they implemented plugin parameter banks or something like Bitwig does with parameters.

A few features I've wanted I guess, but just not really that "exciting" compared to previous .5 releases. But we need maintenance updates so its fine.

Oh and as I'm watching the video I gotta say thank god it auto focuses the search field when adding plugins now lol. That has driven me crazy for so long.

I quite like the update, mixtool built into channels is a welcome feature, performance enhancements always welcome, some of the midi features are really quite useful too

chk071 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 5:12 pm
Trancit wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 4:52 pm Only the plugin manager doesn´t do anything for me... not sure what it is supposed to do different...
"Out of the box" i can only see that you can easily manage your blacklisted plugins now, and also that you can hide plugins by vendor X now.
Can you rename plugins in it? Plugin aliases seem like a no-brainer type of enhancement, but Studio One would only let you rename a single instance of a plugin, and Cubase doesn't do it at all. I'd like to get rid of all the stupid prefixes on things like "Universal Audio Urei LA-2A Silver" and change that to "LA2A Silver." Same for "T-Racks 5 Precision Limiter/Bus Compressor" or whatever.

SLiC wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 4:23 pm Downloaded, everything looks and feels the same...
God, those colors still. I was praying that they'd consider giving more options in that department. Still no real way to customize the color scheme. Jesus, I'm trying to get back on this bus, but they just don't get the fact that you have to stare at this software in order to use it. It's just a dark ugly blur, with crummy ass colors. Studio One is cool as hell as far as features are concerned, but they really need to give better theme customization features. Is that too much to ask for?
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

Too bad the CPU optimization is only for multi instruments. And still no Komplete Kontrol MK2 support. Rest looks pretty good though.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 6:41 pm Can you rename plugins in it?
No, which DAW can do that?

I recently took the opportunity to crossgrade to another daw and I'm glad I did.

I bough studio one 4 also because of the number and quality of updates in the previous versions (e.g. from 3.0 to 3.5) and I honestly wasn't expecting 4.5 to come so soon and with no major changes.

That said, I really like studio one and I'll closely follow its future development.

P. S.
Looking at the release history in Wikipedia, they always release x.5 and x.0 version around the end of May, so maybe version 5 will be out in a year. (which would make v4 lifespan about one year shorter than v3)

steve.lindqvist wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 6:52 pm
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 6:41 pm Can you rename plugins in it?
No, which DAW can do that?
Sonar had this years ago, Reaper lets you "Rename FX," Logic has Custom Name and Short Name options. Studio One even lets you rename plugins in the Insert Slots, but that name doesn't carry over to new instances of the plugin. So they're almost there.

Orbit-50 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 6:43 pm
SLiC wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 4:23 pm Downloaded, everything looks and feels the same...
God, those colors still. I was praying that they'd consider giving more options in that department. Still no real way to customize the color scheme. Jesus, I'm trying to get back on this bus, but they just don't get the fact that you have to stare at this software in order to use it. It's just a dark ugly blur, with crummy ass colors. Studio One is cool as hell as far as features are concerned, but they really need to give better theme customization features. Is that too much to ask for?
Just my opinion, but... i totally got used to the way Studio One looks. I first thought it was all a bit simple and bland looking, but, now i really appreciate the look. If anything then Cubase looks weird, for example, when i try it once again. For me, the look of Studio One is basic, but efficient. Guess that's highly subjective though. :)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”