Great vintage instruments that still deserves to be emulated ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Stringzy wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 1:14 pm I mentioned Voyetra, but no one will have the proper balls to do it.
Or they have too many brains not to waste time on such a horrid sounding synth.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Urs has been toying with the idea of doing Voyetra. He seems like a smart guy with an actual brain.

And... I don't know about "horrid sounding". This is as good as your fattest CS-80 or Oberheim tones out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHJbUShzbXg

Stringzy wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 3:32 pm
what about a virtual flatulist instead ?
a comprehensive effort towards that delicate direction.

https://soundiron.com/products/flatulus

and who'd say the instrument is not vintage. our ass is the most ancient flute of them all.
that's crazy !!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

more of a trumpet than a flute

try crossing your legs ;)

noiseboyuk wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 9:59 amThe Eminent 310! Be still my beating heart... is there any version of this anywhere?
http://wokwave.com/old-plugins/html/cromina.html
http://www.wokwave.com/vstshop/digitals ... details=22
:wink:
ImageImage

WOK wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 8:35 pm
noiseboyuk wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 9:59 amThe Eminent 310! Be still my beating heart... is there any version of this anywhere?
http://wokwave.com/old-plugins/html/cromina.html
http://www.wokwave.com/vstshop/digitals ... details=22
:wink:
No software string synth currently touches those Eminent 310U strings. Most come around 80% close, some in the high 90%s but all of them are still missing the one thing that separated Eminent's strings from every other hardware synthesizer.

It's the way each and every single note was filtered, so that as you went down the keyboard, from the higher to the lower octaves, each key got gradually duller/darker in tone, with less high frequency content, but not in some linear way, but in a natural & organic way, so that it sounded more like an acoustic instrument. That's the key to the Eminent strings (and its every other sound too), it's a rather subtle effect, and no hardware string synth or software emulation has that, as no developer has even bothered to notice and emulate that aspect of it.

That's what made the strings on that specific organ, the best synth strings out of every single other synth, they had an extra quality to them, that made them less 2 dimensional, and more 3 dimensional - less "synthy", less "flat", more "rounded", "warm" and what our human ear expects.

That's what the human ear likes and that's what the Eminent organ tried its best to approximate.

Also the Eminent 310U also had a rather low filter cut off internally, as it was an analog organ, so that in itself added quite a bit to its "organic/warm" sound, the highs were chopped off and that give it a more 'acoustic' quality, if you will. Other than the fantastic strings which you could use for various genres, it sure had one hell of a bass sound, and the other sounds were quite usable.
Last edited by HunterKiller on Tue May 21, 2019 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

noiseboyuk wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 10:37 am
Kwurqx wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 10:21 amIts the other way around. The unit was an integral part of the (Dutch) Eminent 310u organ and was later licenced/sold separately via ARP.

Jean Michel Jarre used the Eminent 310u (Unique) extensively for his fist and famous albums. Since at the time it was one of the few polyphonic string synthseizers (achieved via oscillator frequency division instead of loads of oscillators).
Ah yes, thanks for the info. I haven't dug up Arturia's version of the Solina for a while, but I seem to recall it was very good at impersonating Oxygene. Sounds like Jarre used some of the organ side of the Eminent too, but I can probably live without that. I don't think he used the drum machine in it... that was a Mini Pops, right?

Those first few Jarre albums still sound magical to me.... not really dated, especially Oxygene and Equinoxe.
The real reason, why Oxygene and Equinoxe aren't dated is quite paradoxical, it's because he used the organ side of the Eminent extensively within them, which is later missing in all of his albums, or used extremely sparsely. There's something primal and pure about the electric organ sound itself, it has a really earthy and cosmic sound at the same time, in and of itself, and Jarre just so happened to have tapped into that.

In a sense that's why both of those first two big albums of his have been both described as being concerned with the Earth, our environment, our world, but also that they transcend that and are inherently cosmic, as in, allude to a greater reality beyond our world. Some liken that to "outer space" others to other forms of reality, other concepts. In other words, their success lies in being able to be so many different things to so many different people, and different things to the same person.
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel

HunterKiller wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 5:39 am The real reason, why Oxygene and Equinoxe aren't dated is quite paradoxical, it's because he used the organ side of the Eminent extensively within them ...
very nice post, but i am not sure to agree about the part :
he used the organ side of the Eminent, i would have preferred he used chords or do you imply that the Eminent could not be replaced by a piano or a multitracked monophonic synth ?

Halonmusic wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 3:11 pm Korg Poly 61/800
As far as i know, both are of a different conception, poly-800 uses DCO digital controlled oscillators,but it's not the case of the poly-61

+1

I miss Urs in this thread. How's the weather in Berlin, Berliners?

Stringzy wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 3:59 pm Urs has been toying with the idea of doing Voyetra. He seems like a smart guy with an actual brain.

And... I don't know about "horrid sounding". This is as good as your fattest CS-80 or Oberheim tones out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHJbUShzbXg
Dunno... sounds like he's running into a limiter the whole time.

Stringzy wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:42 am I miss Urs in this thread. How's the weather in Berlin, Berliners?
Yesterday we had thunderstorms...

carrieres wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:35 am
HunterKiller wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 5:39 am The real reason, why Oxygene and Equinoxe aren't dated is quite paradoxical, it's because he used the organ side of the Eminent extensively within them ...
very nice post, but i am not sure to agree about the part :
he used the organ side of the Eminent, i would have preferred he used chords or do you imply that the Eminent could not be replaced by a piano or a multitracked monophonic synth ?
He did use chords on the first part of Oxygene 5, which was processed through an Electro-Harmonix Electric Mistress and delay.

Other than that, the bass pedals, the various stops (to provide the leads) and the strings are all over the place.

If he used a piano, that would have completely created a different kind of mood, as the instrument would have taken the listener out of the overall fantasy atmosphere, to a much more concrete earthly one. And who would wanna use a monophonic when you've gotta an organ that sounds even better? The thing is, he did have 4 monophonics: 3 subtractives and one additive synth. (Though the ARP2600 was a duophonic actually.)

Return to “Instruments”