One Synth Challenge #123: The Qyooo By Full Bucket Music (TheNeverScene Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The qyooo

ye, it's... almost a piano :-). a good sound generally!

@Taron - now that's a good piano sound … care to share some ideas how you did it??? As you say, a good Rhodes is dead easy … and gooooood!!!! I want a better acoustic piano sound.

dB

There are so many approaches to get portions of a piano sound to feel right and then it's also how you play it. Last night I played around with ring modulation to get the lower half to sound "more natural". I remember the waveform of low piano notes to have several peaks or three for that matter in the first two thirds of a cycle, marching downward and a last hump before the end. To get this spirit, you'd try to get at least three peaks in one osc (Shift 19, for example, though 5 peaks might be idea, but hard to manage as weird as it sounds) and a single sweep in the modulator osc (or vice versa, doesn't matter, because they multiply together). The rest is all about proper filtering and envelopes on filter and amp and then there's the little thump you can do with noise and the third osc, going into their own filter and try to have them fade earlier. That's a bit rough, but with an LP you can get there fairly well.
As for waveform choices, well, that's the really rough part. That's when the variations and taste and purpose aspects come into play. Pulse has good advantages, because it can get that subtle elevation of those wound strings, but you need to filter it a lot, which adds the difficulty to make it sound clear without being too synthetic...eh...rough thing. Sine and Triangles can do a good job, but generally have to brightness, and the weird "Prim" can sound quaky...but brings other qualities to it.
Suffice to say that I'm just about 50% happy, but happy no less! :)
I may play around with it some more and see how far I'll get...

Taron wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 3:32 am Oh, should probably back this up with a little demo...Even tossed one piano in as demo. It's all just single instance, no layering of sounds, though, I did split the piano in upper and lower keys, but yeah... FUN! :D
Superb sounding sounds. Nice volume also.. :tu:

Thanks, Saffran! :)

Thanks Taron, will have another go at my pianos!

dB

Here's a little head-start. It's still a bit harsh and ...well... a compromise choice, but interesting to look at and listen to. If you put the first OSC Shift to -12, you get a more growl like bass section for the piano.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thanks Taron, will have a look tomorrow. At the moment I have 4 layers! A split pair (at middle C), and the other two to fill in various sustain harmonics!

Good night!

dB

Thanks for that Taron, and the earlier explination, very helpful in the quest to learn this stuff :)

Thanks again Taron :tu: - a nice starting point … :clap: :clap: the "shift" was the clue for me to getting the timbres I wanted. Also, playing with the noise made quite a difference too (alarming so!!! :dog: ) - smart. :tu: :tu:

Ended up with 4 instances - 2 as "bulkers" and then the other 2 split upper/lower in order to get some better control over little runs here and there! :phones:

Still a little hard to get the right feel for chunky chords - in the end it'll be really down to playing (as is the case for proper pianists who apply different pressures for each note in a chord!) - I'm not good enough for that level of playing - I may go in and mess with some velocities in the quest for really decent chords - but time is getting short. :D

Been quite a journey with this synth - in the end the morphing scenes makes for decent sounds, but just getting your head round this and all the other interacting modulators is mind blowing. :dog: :dog:

Anyway - Charleston Meets Hot Club has gestated, and will soon be released into the wild! :party: :party:

dB

Surge must've truly blown your mind! :lol: :hihi:
But Qyooo has some really harsh limitations, some of which I would love not to have- or rather I wished certain things would be possible: Velocity on Envelopes. In fact, I would trade velocity elsewhere for just velocity on envelopes, though, that would better be just an addition, of course, haha. :P
But, yeah, oh, key (or even frequency) tracking, which could work logarithmic on cutoff would be brilliant. Not to mention something as "simple" as envelopes on OSC levels! That alone would be perfect!

So, yeah, it's rough at times to massage a sound into shape, but some excellent sounding stuff can come out of this thing!
Also, there is some DC clicking, I guess, especially when replaying notes, held by sustain pedal. Can't quite figure out what it is exactly that does that, but it's not from polyphony note-stealing (as far as I can tell) and can be a bit distracting.
Last edited by Taron on Tue May 21, 2019 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Taron wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 3:32 am Oh, should probably back this up with a little demo:
https://soundcloud.com/taronium/demoqyoooty/s-WbVcX
Even tossed one piano in as demo. It's all just single instance, no layering of sounds, though, I did split the piano in upper and lower keys, but yeah... FUN! :D
love that bass man :)

Thanks, Sally! ;)

I just can't control myself sometimes....
Motley Crue cover deleted :D
Last edited by TheNeverScene on Fri May 24, 2019 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

TheNeverScene wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 6:14 pm I just can't control myself sometimes....
Cool sounds like track from Contra , brings back the memories.

Return to “Instruments”