Cubase Waldorf A1 sound recreation request

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello guys!
Did anyone can help me with recreation Waldorf A1 (from Cubase 3) preset Jaws T ?
I can pay 30$ for this job.
Please use any osx synth. Sound must be very close to original especially on modulation controller change(see links below). Also maybe it better to use some available osx Waldorf synth because Waldorf have originally soundign filters.

A1 preset picture
drive.google.com/open?id=1FwCR6mU5gqYWBxvcdt2F0dnuantC1VFO
MIDI
drive.google.com/open?id=1QEL_HftJGrC4j-YEj8h9tK4X-tLaypCr
WAV
drive.google.com/open?id=1VZRZ1_iidbWpT9PYnXB1VLwW0LU_tcc3

Thank you!

Hey buddy, how are you?

I've done the first sound quickly in charlatan and used headcrusher (it's the paid version which might still be on sale for $5 I'm not sure but other distortions will probably work too)

All it is is a supersaw with filters and distortion applied so it can be done probably in any DAW with automation and probably native effects.

If you open the preset and even download the headcrusher demo you'll see how it works.

I've to go somewhere but I'll be back this afternoon if you need any help

GL
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CHOOSX Remakes on my Youtube Channel

A few more days to get Head Crusher for $5. Well worth it!!!
https://www.audio-assault.com/headcrush ... 5b4b27e6bc

Hi man! Doing well.
Thanks for fast reply! Looks like nobody else here understand sound design:-)
Charlatan and Headcrusher works good for first note. But I have difficulties with automation - have no idea what cnobs should be automaited to get note 2 and 3 sound.

OK the other 2 were easier I think by having a quick listen.
I'll have a look tomorrow cause I'm about to pass out.

It should be simple enough tho.

Did you ever finish the other track that you used the other sound from?

Waldorf A1 has really snappy filters and I haven't found anything that can quite nail the sound of it. I miss it plenty. Good luck in your recreation attempt.

You can still get the DLL on the net (just Google for "Steinberg A1 DLL"). Not quite legal, but, i doubt that anyone gives a damn anymore, the synth is discontinued, the last version of Cubase where it was included is long discontinued, so what. Whether or not it is worth is pretty subjective of course. I think about everything Waldorf has done after it sounds much better, but, to each his own.

Oh, and 32-bit only, of course.

That high rez scream actually sounds very much like an Oscillator Sync pitch sweep. But I read that the A1 does not support Osc Sync.

Overdriving a highly resonant Lowpass filter yields a similar result though. But many synth lose the low end at those resonace levels. I never tried A1...don't know it's filter behavior (or drive options)...so I can't tell if this can be done this way on that synth.

But I had a quick try with (the free) Surge.
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/surge-by-vember-audio

If you take Surge's default Saw oscillator, set it to some 7 unison voices, detuned some 7 to 9 cents and then overdrive Surge's 2-pole ladder in the +20/+30dB range (mixer Gain) and set the filters resonance at or near it's max, and sweep the cutoff frequency (max some 2600Hz) you get a pretty similar effect.

The example as above is less screechy though. Could possibly be solved by another Oscillator shape (containing more high frequency content). Surge has many options to shape (and load) oscillators. And/or go along the path of post processing (EQ/Resonant filter/Exciter/Distortion).

the 2nd sound I set the Head Crusher Drive to full.
Turn on Torture AND Assassinate and select Vintage mode.
I tried in charlatan but the unison doesn't work well for this sound cause the phasing effect messes with the sound somewhat.
set the filter Q to 50%-60% and sweep the filter from around 400Hz to 2600Hz or so.
You'll hear the similarity straight away.

Once you know what you're after you can try different synths with different unison settings etc.
The original is also in mono.

the 3rd sound I think is the same as the 2nd but the filter goes from high to low instead of from low to high.

Let me know if you need any help

GL

Thank you guys for all your responses! I was trying to implement yours suggestions, but didn't get close enough. So my next step is contact Waldorf and buy some soft synth with architecture close to deprecated A1.
BTW I have original A1 on separate PC, but it's not suitable to use it from mac(my main host).

Consider Waldorf Largo. IMO their best soft synth. And it surely can do whatever A1 can do.

Ok so I made it again.
I uploaded a folder with screenshots of the charlatan settings (shit I forgot to save the presets as fxp) Let me know if you want them? I can open the FLP and save them individually.

It contains an mp3 of the project. In the FL Studio screenshot you can see I made all 3 sounds. you hear the original first. 2nd sound is mine in all 3 cases.

It's one OSC only Saw wave
Voices 7 and detune set to about 4(not much) but the spread is set to 0
The resonance is around 80%
The 2nd sound used a bandpass filter instead of a "normal" 4db/Oct filter
The types of distortion vary as well.

All I used was charlatan + Headcrusher but other distortions might/will work but you'll need to play around till you get what you like. no eq or anything else.

Let me know if it makes sense.

GL

Return to “Sound Design”