SampleTank 4 on the way

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SampleTank SampleTank 3 SampleTank 4 SampleTank 4 MAX SampleTank 4 SE SampleTank Custom Shop

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 1:18 am Thanks for the continued discussion. Please note that a full installation manager is not a small project and I wouldn't expect that tomorrow. That's a big endeavor and one that will take some time to do right.

For those interested in the editing and such, we did release some new videos recently, including this one:

https://youtu.be/z1P38KXrAR8
If you guys were going to do one I suggest covering all your products with it. Perhaps build it into the Custom Shop??

I find it a little tedious at the moment checking to see whether my products are up to date, then downloading and installing them. That’s especially true for Max content!!

An installer would be the way to go as we head into the future. Maybe don’t force it on to people so they have the choice to update either way.

Is there a new pipe organ in Sample tank 4?
The only pipe organ that I can find is in sampletank3

I hope IK is looking at other products' updating software.

I have 4 Spectrasonics products. I opened up one of them in my DAW, and got a message
"updates available". Clicked the button and went automatically to their website.

The update was for a different Spectrasonics VST that I hadn't opened yet. Clicked the download button, it created a Zip file with the necessary files.

Opened the zip file and ran the files. Took 5 minutes for the update....

This can't be rocket science if other companies make it simple and easy... or is it? :roll:
I'm not a programmer so I wouldn't know.

Yes we are aware of full download/software/authorization manager software and are working on this.

bill45 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:37 pm Is there a new pipe organ in Sample tank 4?
The only pipe organ that I can find is in sampletank3
We have the Modena pipe organ from SampleTank 3. This has been mentioned to the devs, though, if there are any other great pipe organs (and spaces where they sound amazing) that could be sampled in the future.

mrsugmad wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 9:37 pm I hope IK is looking at other products' updating software.

I have 4 Spectrasonics products. I opened up one of them in my DAW, and got a message
"updates available". Clicked the button and went automatically to their website.

The update was for a different Spectrasonics VST that I hadn't opened yet. Clicked the download button, it created a Zip file with the necessary files.

This can't be rocket science if other companies make it simple and easy... or is it? :roll:
that's a rather convoluted update process...
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Burillo wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 2:52 pm
mrsugmad wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 9:37 pm I hope IK is looking at other products' updating software.

How is it convoluted? :dog:

Click a button, download a zip file, unzip, click an executable file and you're done.
Much easier than Arturia or Native Instruments to me.
Plus it tells you you have a program to update....
You're mileage may vary of course......

mrsugmad wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 3:33 am
Burillo wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 2:52 pm

How is it convoluted? :dog:

Click a button, download a zip file, unzip, click an executable file and you're done.
Much easier than Arturia or Native Instruments to me.
Plus it tells you you have a program to update....
You're mileage may vary of course......
you think "click 1 button, download, unzip, click on an executable" is easier than "click 1 button" (e.g. Arturia, FXPansion)? on what planet? the point is to get away from this download-unzip-execute nonsense, which doesn't scale for 250GB libraries.

what you've described is almost exactly the current IK multimedia process, except that it won't notify you of updates. you still go to their website, log in to your user area if you weren't before, and download your updates, unzip and execute. this is the process everyone (well, everyone except you, it seems) would like to get away from, and move towards a more Arturia-esque process where there's a "manager" of all things IK, and updates happen with a click of a button.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

For reference see how Native Access works. It notifies and manages all your plugin updates, tells you what is installed and what is available to install etc. Very useful piece of software except that it doesn't allow you to uninstall anything. But that's easily accomplished manually.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

With a 250 gig library, I think I want the option of using a manager,
without it being required, and choice made at the beginning of
the install process, with a cancel button that doesn't leave things in a lurch.
Not everyone will want the full 250 gig immediately, some perhaps never
wanting all parts of it. It's not like anyone is going to use it all in
the first few days anyway. I started off with the pianos and guitars,
with no big rush to get to the trombones and picolo's. Someone else
may want the cellos and timpani right away, and be short on disk space
for a gazillion synth, drum, and bass variations.
Etc etc
When faced with choosing, always try to get both, and more :wink:

Teksonik wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 11:29 am For reference see how Native Access works.
I notice several companies make it difficult to get older versions
of software, and/or require the 'latest version' for whatever reasons.
Daft beancounter policies can triumph over good software,
and some customers lose something of value.
Natives Restless might be a good start-up company logo
for someone :wink:

I've had no problems but then I've never had to or wanted to roll back to an older version. There was something about a Kontakt update some time ago that was an issue but it never really effected me.

When recently rebuilding my studio computer Native Access made it an absolute breeze and I'm not usually a fan of extra software like managers. Knowing if and how many updates you have available and being able to download and install them all from a single interface is a very nice feature.

It also allowed me to install some freebies and free content so reluctantly I am a fan of Native Access. A similar system would seem very logical for IK with all the ST content and dozens of plugins they have and there is already manager software for licenses.

Programming a full manager that could handle all that content might be no easy task and I don't think it's something they could sell so who knows.....
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 11:29 am For reference see how Native Access works. It notifies and manages all your plugin updates, tells you what is installed and what is available to install etc. Very useful piece of software except that it doesn't allow you to uninstall anything. But that's easily accomplished manually.

True, except for one snag: Every time I open Native Access to get updates that have been announced, it first requires me to update Native Access. Once that happens, it's relatively smooth sailing from there.

-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

I see that Sampletank 4 SE is on sale for 50 euro. I own Sampletank 3 "full". Is Sampletank 4 SE an 'upgrade' for me? Does 4 SE have more instruments than Sampletank 3?

no it doesn't. even SampleTank 4 MAX (excluding all ST3 stuff of course) has less instruments than SampleTank 3. this is because for SampleTank 4, the focus is quality, not quality. so, there are less sounds, but there are better sounds.

Return to “Instruments”