Propellerhead Software Names Niklas Agevik as CEO

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ictools wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 4:09 pm It appears that Propellerheads are heading in another totally saturated direction.
How so? I mean, from that perspective - the entire computer-based music making industry has been saturated for well over a decade...
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Jace-BeOS wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 3:08 pm
EnochLight wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 7:44 pm
Psuper wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 7:27 pm The gaming history from Mattias is in the equivalent 'ceo' thread in RT where he talks about Blizzard. I just didn't elaborate because it's not worth it, nor relevant except in the way I explained it.
Ah, right - I got you. I just read that part. Yeah I don't really have an opinion on that part. I have a friend who worked for Blizzard in their IT upper management in Texas, and left when they started doing a bunch of restructuring years ago. He got out then because he said things weren't looking good from a staff point of view, but apparently Blizzard are doing just fine right now. Whether that had to do with them laying off staff or not is beyond me, but... you can only trim so much fat.
You need to see more news about Activision-Blizzard (and the rest of that horrible industry). It’s a Wall Street feeding frenzy. Becoming all too common in the game industry. Developers are treated like garbage. Studios are being run into the ground by “publishers”. Layoffs are happening during record profits. Etc. Watch some industry report videos by Jim Sterling and YongYea.
Ah, the dangers of saying you're posting something from a purely personal perspective when you also represent a company.

So, jumping in quickly to comment only on what I wrote about Blizzard. Like Psuper rightly pointed out—it's not relevant to this. I was just posting what I, as a long-time Blizzard fan (I played Lost Vikings!) and gamer, thought about how they've handled their product portfolios and IPs. Including but not limited to: Heroes of the Storm, Diablo 3 (for consoles), Diablo Immortal, Overwatch, Hearthstone and WoW expansions. I think they're generally still doing good games without compromising their core audience too much. I personally don't think Diablo Immortal is as horrible as many think—but time will tell I guess. I'm still mainly playing Diablo 3 on Switch and some HotS now and then.

Regarding the game and tech industry at large, I have very strong opinions about that. Again these are my personal beliefs, but as anyone who follows me on twitter will see: I believe in unions, workers' rights and company structures that reward all employees. Especially in gaming/tech that's a relatively "young" industry. :party:

Anosou wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 8:46 pm Regarding the game and tech industry at large, I have very strong opinions about that. Again these are my personal beliefs, but as anyone who follows me on twitter will see: I believe in unions, workers' rights and company structures that reward all employees. Especially in gaming/tech that's a relatively "young" industry. :party:
Mattias - I don't know if anyone ever takes the time to tell you stuff like this, so I'll just say it right here: thanks for everything you've done guiding Reason these past few years. You're doing a fantastic job and I appreciate the work you've put into it. It does not go unnoticed! :party:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 8:58 pm
Anosou wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 8:46 pm Regarding the game and tech industry at large, I have very strong opinions about that. Again these are my personal beliefs, but as anyone who follows me on twitter will see: I believe in unions, workers' rights and company structures that reward all employees. Especially in gaming/tech that's a relatively "young" industry. :party:
Mattias - I don't know if anyone ever takes the time to tell you stuff like this, so I'll just say it right here: thanks for everything you've done guiding Reason these past few years. You're doing a fantastic job and I appreciate the work you've put into it. It does not go unnoticed! :party:
+2

Psuper wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 7:27 pm The gaming history from Mattias is in the equivalent 'ceo' thread in RT where he talks about Blizzard. I just didn't elaborate because it's not worth it, nor relevant except in the way I explained it.
Ah, right - I got you. I just read that part. Yeah I don't really have an opinion on that part. I have a friend who worked for Blizzard in their IT upper management in Texas, and left when they started doing a bunch of restructuring years ago. He got out then because he said things weren't looking good from a staff point of view, but apparently Blizzard are doing just fine right now. Whether that had to do with them laying off staff or not is beyond me, but... you can only trim so much fat.
You need to see more news about Activision-Blizzard (and the rest of that horrible industry). It’s a Wall Street feeding frenzy. Becoming all too common in the game industry. Developers are treated like garbage. Studios are being run into the ground by “publishers”. Layoffs are happening during record profits. Etc. Watch some industry report videos by Jim Sterling and YongYea.
Unfortunately, whenever i read interpretations like these (because that's what they are basically), they totally neglect with how much heart the people in game development are involved. I'm sure any of them could do much more lucrative jobs with the skills they have. Nobody has to work in the game industry. But, sure... with a 9 to 5 way of thinking, none of them would probably do the job.

Those evil CEO's which are resonsible for such horrible conditions usually have a 80 hour week, by the way. Just saying.

lessera wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 10:09 pm
EnochLight wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 8:58 pm
+2
I love Reason.

Gaming and music came to me hard in the "pc" arena roughly around the same time - in my C64 era early 80s, and I've been avid in both ever since with lots of opinions on both subjects.

The one time I tried to broach gaming in RT here:
https://forum.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=7505802
Damn near crickets... So its great that Mattias is also a gamer, even if he's not a serious one playing D3 instead of PoE (especially if he ever played D2), or playing on console, among other poor choices! :box: Yes I'm a PC Master Race gamer for serious gaming anyway, and consoles for couch/coop/chill gaming. Same with music just so happens - PC for anything serious, mobile to make fart sounds when I'm bored at the VA.

So mobile? No. See below.
Have you tried Vital?

Psuper wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 12:11 am Gaming and music came to me hard in the "pc" arena roughly around the same time - in my C64 era early 80s, and I've been avid in both ever since with lots of opinions on both subjects.

The one time I tried to broach gaming in RT here:
https://forum.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=7505802
Damn near crickets... So its great that Mattias is also a gamer, even if he's not a serious one playing D3 instead of PoE (especially if he ever played D2), or playing on console, among other poor choices! :box: Yes I'm a PC Master Race gamer for serious gaming anyway, and consoles for couch/coop/chill gaming. Same with music just so happens - PC for anything serious, mobile to make fart sounds when I'm bored at the VA.
Yeah, my pal tried to get me to play PoE and it looks great (we played D2 and D3 together for years). Sadly I'm not a PC guy (Mac since OS9) so that wasn't an option. I've never really considered getting a PC just for gaming either since I'm mainly a console gamer—my favorite genres since I was a kid are Japanese RPGs, rhythm games and shoot 'em ups. In those genres, consoles still rule the world.

Who knows what the definition of serious gamer is, but I've won a tournament in Tekken 5 and can hold my own in an arcade? :hihi:

Oh but I'm rambling, sorry, as you were.

ictools wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 4:09 pm
ictools wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 5:35 pm 1. recent expansion of its management team

2. an entrepreneurial leader with experience from both large and small organizations.

3. take the company on an expansion journey where we reach new target groups

4. entrepreneurial approach is an amazing fit for what we need as a company

5. By building upon their legacy and making music making even more accessible

6. building on that foundation, growing the user base of both the desktop and mobile products.

Looks more like a business plan, then a musically journey, unlike Presonus. Which will take a lot of time, energy and money away from Reason. Good luck, but this is the same mistakes they have already made several times.
It appears that Propellerheads are heading in another totally saturated direction.
That’s what “investors” tend to do. It’s basically the same shit as seen with Wall Street types. Jump on whatever the latest fad or scheme is... even if you’re late to the game and it’s already overdone.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Anosou wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 8:46 pm [...]
Regarding the game and tech industry at large, I have very strong opinions about that. Again these are my personal beliefs, but as anyone who follows me on twitter will see: I believe in unions, workers' rights and company structures that reward all employees. Especially in gaming/tech that's a relatively "young" industry. :party:
:thumbsup:
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

chk071 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 10:48 pm
Unfortunately, whenever i read interpretations like these (because that's what they are basically), they totally neglect with how much heart the people in game development are involved. I'm sure any of them could do much more lucrative jobs with the skills they have. Nobody has to work in the game industry. But, sure... with a 9 to 5 way of thinking, none of them would probably do the job.

Those evil CEO's which are resonsible for such horrible conditions usually have a 80 hour week, by the way. Just saying.
MMmmm, I disagree. The YouTubers I mentioned tend to cite articles by journalists as their sources of data. The journalists are getting it from actual developers and QA employees. It’s not “interpretation”. It’s discovery of fact and disclosure of said facts.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Hopefully this new CEO will expand the development team to more than just a few guys (Which is what I saw it was last) so they can iron out the kinks such a piss poor multi-core support.

https://www.reasonexperts.com/ableton-v ... mance.html
:borg:

Jace-BeOS wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 1:46 am
ictools wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 4:09 pm
ictools wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 5:35 pm 1. recent expansion of its management team

2. an entrepreneurial leader with experience from both large and small organizations.

3. take the company on an expansion journey where we reach new target groups

4. entrepreneurial approach is an amazing fit for what we need as a company

5. By building upon their legacy and making music making even more accessible

6. building on that foundation, growing the user base of both the desktop and mobile products.

Looks more like a business plan, then a musically journey, unlike Presonus. Which will take a lot of time, energy and money away from Reason. Good luck, but this is the same mistakes they have already made several times.
It appears that Propellerheads are heading in another totally saturated direction.
That’s what “investors” tend to do. It’s basically the same shit as seen with Wall Street types. Jump on whatever the latest fad or scheme is... even if you’re late to the game and it’s already overdone.
Do you think this smells as Gibson?

reggie1979 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 4:05 pm Do you think this smells as Gibson?
The reason Presonus and Studio One are so successful is because they're run by musicians first.

Not video game connoisseurs or business entrepreneurs.

ictools wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 4:13 pm
reggie1979 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 4:05 pm Do you think this smells as Gibson?
The reason Presonus and Studio One are so successful is because they're run by musicians first.

Not video game connoisseurs or business entrepreneurs.
I'm a musician (semi-serious), business entrepreneur (can retire when I want to), and video game connoisseur (semi-serious) and highly successful in all 3 -- as I'm sure anyone could be if they have the aptitude, desire, and follow-through.

Many people wear many hats for the job, sometimes all of them at once due to overlapping skills - their 'background' doesn't dictate success, their passion, ability to learn from failures, and future assessments do.
Have you tried Vital?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”