Studio One Pro 4.5

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
ricknaqvi
KVRer
4 posts since 6 Feb, 2009

Post Mon May 20, 2019 7:54 am

We have a full webcast planned tomorrow at 10am CST.

Hope you can join us!

Tuesday, May 21
10am CST
https://www.facebook.com/PreSonus/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7W...gp0QI9R61RWz0w

Image
Rick Naqvi
rnaqvi@presonus.com
225.215.0641

ictools
Banned
108 posts since 17 May, 2019

Re: Studio One Pro 4.5

Post Mon May 20, 2019 8:01 am

jens wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 11:40 pm
I certainly hope that's not the real complete changelog for V4.5. This looks a lot like one of those Reaper update-lists, where with the majority of entries you don't even have a clue what the heck it all means (except with Reaper you get one of these mystery-lists every few days).

I had high hopes that they would finally implement the long overdue and much requested mixer-snapshots in V4.5 - that would a feature worthy of a .5 designation.
Free incremental updates should always be an appreciated bonus. It's not like a paid subscription model, such as Bitwig, where you should expect to see larger more significant updates.

Squashing bugs and adding small features is the norm for incremental updates. I think some people get a little confused by all the different approaches companies have on their releases.

jens
KVRAF
19690 posts since 12 Jul, 2003 from West Caprazumia

Re: Studio One Pro 4.5

Post Mon May 20, 2019 8:35 am

ictools wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 8:01 am
Free incremental updates should always be an appreciated bonus.
I completely disagree - when we pay 150+$ for the full version updates, we pay for the smaller ones too, so they are't exactly free. Without these free updates I would not be willing to pay as much for a full version update and I bet it is about the same for the majority of users.

ictools
Banned
108 posts since 17 May, 2019

Re: Studio One Pro 4.5

Post Mon May 20, 2019 8:45 am

jens wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 8:35 am
ictools wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 8:01 am
Free incremental updates should always be an appreciated bonus.
I completely disagree - when we pay 150+$ for the full version updates, we pay for the smaller ones too, so they are't exactly free. Without these free updates I would not be willing to pay as much for a full version update and I bet it is about the same for the majority of users.
You're more then welcome to disagree, but you're surely in the minority.

You don't pay for free incremental updates when you purchase anything in real life. A company doesn't have to release any if they choose not to, or not as frequent. But, Presonus being the great company they are, choose to do it often and provide a lot.

I see it more as the glass half full not empty, such as yourself, but you're free to do whatever you choose too, just don't include the rest of the people along with your personal choices in life.

reggie1979
KVRAF
1834 posts since 26 Nov, 2018

Re: Studio One Pro 4.5

Post Mon May 20, 2019 8:52 am

I can't wait for 5.

SLiC
KVRAF
4073 posts since 2 Dec, 2004 from North Wales

Re: Studio One Pro 4.5

Post Mon May 20, 2019 8:55 am

ictools wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 8:01 am
jens wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 11:40 pm
I certainly hope that's not the real complete changelog for V4.5. This looks a lot like one of those Reaper update-lists, where with the majority of entries you don't even have a clue what the heck it all means (except with Reaper you get one of these mystery-lists every few days).

I had high hopes that they would finally implement the long overdue and much requested mixer-snapshots in V4.5 - that would a feature worthy of a .5 designation.
Free incremental updates should always be an appreciated bonus. It's not like a paid subscription model, such as Bitwig, where you should expect to see larger more significant updates.

Squashing bugs and adding small features is the norm for incremental updates. I think some people get a little confused by all the different approaches companies have on their releases.
Bitwig is NOT a paid subscription model.

You buy an upgrade WHEN YOU WANT and you get a years FREE upgrades after upgrading (even big ones) so you don't get all the people complaining 'I just bought this 6 months ago now I have to pay for an update (see most DAW forums when any paid release is announced! Its basically a 1 year grace period!)

If you don't choose to buy an updated licence your software keeps working and you keep getting bug fixes and minor updates free for your version.

Perfect system for me....but yes, Bitwig does get developed far more rapidly and is updated every 3-4 months...without subscription!!!
i7 Win 10 PC+ Surface, BWS V3, StudioOne 4, Cubase 10, Live 9 suite, X32 Desk. , DM12, Odyssey, P8, Virus TI, 500hp Eurorack, Elektron A4, RYTM, Heat, Digitone, Deluge, OP-Z, Mother+DFAM, Drums, Guitars, Basses and Amps

reggie1979
KVRAF
1834 posts since 26 Nov, 2018

Re: Studio One Pro 4.5

Post Mon May 20, 2019 9:03 am

:shock:

Not my experience.

jens
KVRAF
19690 posts since 12 Jul, 2003 from West Caprazumia

Re: Studio One Pro 4.5

Post Mon May 20, 2019 9:06 am

ictools wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 8:45 am
jens wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 8:35 am
ictools wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 8:01 am
Free incremental updates should always be an appreciated bonus.
I completely disagree - when we pay 150+$ for the full version updates, we pay for the smaller ones too, so they are't exactly free. Without these free updates I would not be willing to pay as much for a full version update and I bet it is about the same for the majority of users.
You're more then welcome to disagree, but you're surely in the minority.

You don't pay for free incremental updates when you purchase anything in real life. A company doesn't have to release any if they choose not to, or not as frequent. But, Presonus being the great company they are, choose to do it often and provide a lot.

I see it more as the glass half full not empty, such as yourself, but you're free to do whatever you choose too, just don't include the rest of the people along with your personal choices in life.
lol


If I was in the minority they wouldn't do it like this. They are not the salvation army, you know? :dog:

SLiC
KVRAF
4073 posts since 2 Dec, 2004 from North Wales

Re: Studio One Pro 4.5

Post Mon May 20, 2019 9:10 am

reggie1979 wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 9:03 am
:shock:

Not my experience.
What isn't?
i7 Win 10 PC+ Surface, BWS V3, StudioOne 4, Cubase 10, Live 9 suite, X32 Desk. , DM12, Odyssey, P8, Virus TI, 500hp Eurorack, Elektron A4, RYTM, Heat, Digitone, Deluge, OP-Z, Mother+DFAM, Drums, Guitars, Basses and Amps

User avatar
mgw38
KVRAF
2072 posts since 26 Jul, 2015 from Philadelphia

Re: Studio One Pro 4.5

Post Mon May 20, 2019 11:53 am

SLiC wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 8:55 am
Bitwig is NOT a paid subscription model.
The by far most impressive thing about Bitwig is that they actually managed that their core user base believes that spin. ;) :lol: It does not auto renew, but other than that it actually is a paid maintenance subscription very similar to the Pro Tools model.

If you take out the DAWs with free lifetime upgrades, Studio One has one of the lowest costs of ownership. I am not using it much as it does not have any stand out features that I need. But it is one of the nicest and most complete DAWs and I am really looking forward to what is being announced tomorrow.

chk071
KVRAF
22206 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Re: Studio One Pro 4.5

Post Mon May 20, 2019 11:58 am

I think they could well do with a 79 to 99 € upgrade price for the Pro version, though. The way it is now, it's almost 40% of the full price, with 150 €. That's a bit steep, IMO. Especially when you consider what Steinberg offers for that upgrade price.

AdvancedFollower
KVRian
510 posts since 8 May, 2018 from Sweden

Re: Studio One Pro 4.5

Post Mon May 20, 2019 1:11 pm

jens wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 9:06 am
ictools wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 8:45 am
jens wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 8:35 am
ictools wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 8:01 am
Free incremental updates should always be an appreciated bonus.
I completely disagree - when we pay 150+$ for the full version updates, we pay for the smaller ones too, so they are't exactly free. Without these free updates I would not be willing to pay as much for a full version update and I bet it is about the same for the majority of users.
You're more then welcome to disagree, but you're surely in the minority.

You don't pay for free incremental updates when you purchase anything in real life. A company doesn't have to release any if they choose not to, or not as frequent. But, Presonus being the great company they are, choose to do it often and provide a lot.

I see it more as the glass half full not empty, such as yourself, but you're free to do whatever you choose too, just don't include the rest of the people along with your personal choices in life.
lol


If I was in the minority they wouldn't do it like this. They are not the salvation army, you know? :dog:
The thing is, PreSonus established a bit of a pattern with the last several versions of the DAW, with a major paid update to the next "x.0" release, and then a major "x.5" update halfway through its life, adding many new features and improvements for free. So it's not unreasonable that customers expect the same thing with version 4 as they got with v3 and v2.

Every company have their own upgrade policy regarding pricing and life cycles, so it's hard to generalize. For example, IL have the "free upgrades for life" policy for FL Studio, while some other companies expect you to pay up annually if you want to stay on the latest version. Studio One falls somewhere in between, with paid updates every couple of years. On the other hand, the paid updates are rather costly unless you wait for a sale. In hindsight, jumping on v4 the day it released was mistake. If I had waited a couple of months, the upgrade would have been about €50 cheaper, and the rather numerous bugs in 4.0 would already have been ironed out. That was obviously my own fault for being impatient and jumping the gun, but it also shows a tendency of PreSonus of not caring so much about their more loyal customers.

reggie1979
KVRAF
1834 posts since 26 Nov, 2018

Re: Studio One Pro 4.5

Post Mon May 20, 2019 1:25 pm

SLiC wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 9:10 am
reggie1979 wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 9:03 am
:shock:

Not my experience.
What isn't?
Nothing against you, but I don't believe they have been very progressive when it comes to updates. It was years ago that I bought a copy and they never had significant updates but presonus has been busy since they released 3.

ictools
Banned
108 posts since 17 May, 2019

Re: Studio One Pro 4.5

Post Mon May 20, 2019 1:46 pm

jens wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 9:06 am


lol


If I was in the minority they wouldn't do it like this. They are not the salvation army, you know? :dog:
You seem to be the only one carrying a pitchfork, it must be you?

reggie1979
KVRAF
1834 posts since 26 Nov, 2018

Re: Studio One Pro 4.5

Post Mon May 20, 2019 2:00 pm

;)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”