[PreSonus Studio One] Music | Design | Film | VFX Production Resource

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Professional

These hyperbolic complaints aren't really warranted.
It's a great program and I'm sure for some these are well needed additions.
I'd say Studio One is going for PT most of all....IO...Input...video etc

bundoo wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 1:58 am Feel like a broken record here but:
Any tape style time stretch / transposition ?
Hard to tell what`s finally there, I understand Russ` video a rough preview to May 21.
beatmangler443 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 2:32 am So are we not focusing on work flow and just adding 2 million features each update now? ...
If you refer to the "over 70 new features",
it`s the Presonus drum roll to announce improvements, enhanchements etc. ... marketing yada yada ...
but seems strongly related to user requests, I haven`t seen any unsolicited gimmick so far.
beatmangler443 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 2:44 am Great now Studio One is attracting the Pro Tools, Cubase, DP fanboys-Cluttered DAW.
Something`s going on in the daw market atm
which always benefits users either by price or features or both.
Fascinating progress.
Intel i7-4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H | 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | RME Babyface Pro | UAD PCIe Octo, Quad | Asus GT 730 | Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB | LG GH24NSB0 | W10 Pro 64bit | S1 latest

Presonus has to be pissed at Studio One expert. Their QA Tester commented on the video.

My thoughts, it's quite a mixed bag... particularly when you compare it to what 3.5 provided... Some things I don't see myself using, or really why I would want to use..and things like the lack of a video clip time line that was strongly alluded to in the teaser images of the 1980's was a disappointment for me. We're still stuck with a very basic video window and functionality. Being able to export video with audio is all well and good but there's no basic editing functionality of video to even make that useful. Pro Tools has had a film strip for 10 years on the time line... so yeah, the video side is disappointing still. Surround Sound functionality was probably too big an ask for a .5 update, but still... it's an omission worth pointing out I think. On the positive side, CPU performance improvements with multi instruments is a big one, the polishing up of the waveforms is nice, although it's never been much of an issue for me as they were. More grouping options and plugin filtering was a bit of a deja voo moment lol given what I've been drawing up recently :D, and well it looks like they have a bit of StudioOneX in the midi department as well...

Based on that video above in my one viewing...it's feeling like a bit of a sterile spring clean and optimisation update, no new toys to get excited about, no new instruments or effects...no GUI refresh of default effect devices so they are darker in matching the other ones..no new functionality added to the node system...no basic notation editor....

I guess it's a nice update, but not the OMG nice... at least from first impressions of that video I feel... I spent most of my time watching with a look of puzzled curiosity...but anyway, I'll be able to download it and see what I can make use of like the rest you that have V4.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

dellboy wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 3:28 pm
dbender wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 2:02 pm That will set my world alight. I bought a Nektar Panorama P6 last year hoping this would eventually happen sometime in the future. Fingers crossed …
Yes, I meant for those who do not have one - I own one as well, a P6. :)
I've got an Impact L88+. Hoping for better integration there, but no fingers crossed. :)

beatmangler443 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 3:13 am Presonus has to be pissed at Studio One expert. Their QA Tester commented on the video.
Rick lashed out snorting with rage, video deleted.
What`s the episode called ... Rickileaks?
Intel i7-4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H | 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | RME Babyface Pro | UAD PCIe Octo, Quad | Asus GT 730 | Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB | LG GH24NSB0 | W10 Pro 64bit | S1 latest

Russ apparently had his all-access pass revoked. If you missed the video, you'll have to wait until Tuesday, May 21 10:00 a.m. Central Time for the big reveal.

Or just read the list of new features (from Gearslutz)

spoiler alert,,,,,,

New features overview

Recording and Mixing
• Redesigned hardware controls gain-phase-48V on mixer channels for compatible PreSonus interfaces
• Input Mixer: software gain - phase controls on every input
• Software input gain - phase controls on every channel, bus and FX channel
• Extended grouping system with attributes Volume, Pan, Mute-Solo, Inserts-Sends
• Groups definable as Edit- and-or Mix-Groups
• Commands-shortcuts to suspend any group
• Command to suspend all groups
• Support for unlimited nested groups groups within groups
• New Groups section in Track List and Channel List
• Optional group name displays on channels with Group assign and renaming options
• Customizable Channel Components in Console
• RMS-Peak metering option per channel
• Global Pre-Fader Metering option
• Quick-assign I-O routing for multiple selected channels
• Quick-assign outputs in ascending order
• Basic and Advanced Plug-in menu styles
• Alternative reverse Sidechain routing
• Copy Plug-ins with Sidechain routing

Arrangement and Editing
• Lock Events with position and editing options
• Lock Tracks option
• Independent Quantize-Timebase-Snap options
• Snap to Zero Crossings

Musical MIDI Editing
• Chord Audition option in Chord Selector
• Chord Audition option for chord events in Chord Track
• User assignable Chord Audition sound
• New Major-Minor Triad scales • Re-organized Musical Actions
menu
• Stretch multiple notes by dragging
• Note Action: Apply Scale
• Note Action: Distribute Notes
• Note Action: Randomize Notes
• Note Action: Quantize Notes
• Note Action: Mirror Notes
• Note Action: Repeat Notes to Part End
• Note Action: Thin out Notes • Note Action: Fill with Notes

Workflow
• Independent Macro Toolbars for Arrangement, Music Editor and

Audio Editor
• Macro Toolbar: custom menus
• Macro Toolbar: direct macro editing
• Macro Toolbar: Duplicate Macro command
• Macro Toolbar: “move to Group” command
• Impact XT: drag more than 16 samples or slices
• Patterns: support for Quintuplets - Septuplets resolution
• Improved swing timing for patterns with individual lanes resolution
• Stem Export: quick drag select tracks-channels
• Stem Export: save selection when closing window
• Song Data Import retains “Disabled” track state when importing
• Fat Channel XT modules retain state when switching
• Instrument list: “disable all” option
• Instrument list: “remove unused” option
• Store Presets with folder selection
• Assignable F13-F24 keys • Recall any Marker with
shortcut
• One-step Audioloop export drag&drop
User Interface
• Smooth audio waveforms option
• Macro Toolbar icons update • Sample One XT - Impact XT:
improved unit readouts

Performance
• Improved CPU performance with Multi Instruments
• Improved CPU performance with Mai Tai, Sample One XT, Impact XT and Presence XT

Hardware and Installation
• I-O Setup: add multiple inputs or outputs
• I-O Setup: re-order inputs - outputs with drag & drop
• New Plug-in Manager with filters by format and vendor
• Plug-in Manager: list and reset blacklisted plug-ins individually

Import - Export
• Import - Export I-O Setups
• Video Export option with multiple codec support platform-dependent
• MP3 Export with variable bitrate
• AAC support Import - Export , including ALAC Apple Lossless
• Mono option for Export Mixdown
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Assignable F13-24 keys? There are keyboards with an extra 12 F keys?
My milkshake brings all the girls to the yard

http://soundcloud.com/the-boogee-man

beatmangler443 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 2:32 am So are we not focusing on work flow and just adding 2 million features each update now? Hope no one complains when Studio One starts crashing or stuff is broken. You'll know why then. Steinberg and Sonar did or continue (Steinberg more).
That's the problem, isn't it? Loads of people ask for that specific feature they solely want, and, "Yo, they don't listen to their customers...", and then they build in all those things one by one, and, you'll end up with a lot of clutter, because they have to produce the jack of all trades, which should satisfy everyone, but is so broad and little specialized that noone is really happy with it.

For the new MIDI features, i don't think i need a single one. But, of course... always handy to have them anyway... :hihi:

By the way, i think they pulled the video posted earlier here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LWOnYf ... 5373634861

If they really posted that before they were supposed to, then,really, shame on them. I don't know where all this self entitlement stems from these days. Or, well... i actually know, but, that's not really subject for this thread.

chk071 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:52 am lc=z22bxp0w1sv3sl1ttacdp43arxipzqxt434s3ztk5i5w03c010c.1558315373634861

If they really posted that before they were supposed to, then,really, shame on them.
Agreed - I think it's a complete no-go - obviously Presonus trusted them to quite a big degree and it seems they abused that trust majorly.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

beatmangler443 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 2:32 am If they really posted that before they were supposed to, then,really, shame on them. I don't know where all this self entitlement stems from these days. Or, well... i actually know, but, that's not really subject for this thread.
I assumed it was made public accidentally. Hanlon's razor seems applicable: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon%27s_razor :hihi:

But I don't know really. Apparently someone from PreSonus made a comment? And it seems to have been live for quite a while if it was an accident. So I could easily be wrong.

Any chance we could see articulation management this update?

MikeMcKew wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 12:54 pm I assumed it was made public accidentally. Hanlon's razor seems applicable: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon%27s_razor :hihi:
Ah, yes - good call...

Perhaps the publish button was that red button you MUST NOT PUSH for them... :hihi:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Based on the feature-list, which I'm assuming is complete, this seems a bit underwhelming. The jump from 3.6 to 4.0 felt much smaller than the jump from 2.6 to 3, and even 3.0 to 3.5. What's interesting about this release is that it's a bunch of house-cleaning like items, and seemingly no major features. It's a bit jarring in that it goes so against the grain of any major DAW release. And there's some pros and cons to that right? On the one hand, they're finally addressing some of the little things users have been asking for. On the other, it's not a sexy update at all.

Still, I'm glad to see some of the smaller things like:

Improved waveform drawing
Polarity invert on the channels
Snap to zero
More channel metering options (but I hope to God it's finally post-pan metering - hate the stupid pre-pan metering)
I'm intrigued to see what the advanced Plugin Header holds as well as updates to the plugin manager (did they finally allow aliasing for plugins?)

That's the good stuff. On the other hand, I'm super annoyed they've done nothing other than add some actions to the MIDI side of the house. I feel like Cubase is moving much closer to being a super Studio One than Studio One is moving to being a true Cubase replacement.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”