Xils-Lab PolyKB III -Official Thread- [v3.5]

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
PolyKB

Looking forward to updating today - a nice selection of improvements/additions. It'll be nice to have a dedicated reverb on board and a cleaned up GUI, I always felt it was a bit cramped in places.
Hopefully the additional free drawn modulation path for each note will take its sound even deeper.... yet to try though?

Niowiad wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 11:33 pm
c_voltage wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:58 pm Good update, but strange, i install update, and see only "Show path" word (with lightbulb), not a "Draw path" as in video :D So, tried various ways (incl "Right click etc" shortcut for Drawing path, as specify in help UI button), nope. How to switch to drawing mode ? And user manual pdf it seems not updated yet.
The DYN entry (inbetween the knobs Y1 and X1) must be set to "Path", then you can draw it with the right mouse button.

edit: sbj already said that :oops:

btw, it is also possible to "rectangle select" (only working with top-left to bottom-right motion) multiple voices and draw (or delete) the path for all of them simultaneously
Yes I asked Xils to add multiselection with the 'rectangle' because it's much easier to offset all balls position, or a subset of them, also especially in the Space XY. If people remind that the PolyKB III has a true stereo space, you can imagine a scenario where you'd want to position an instance to the left of the stereo field, while preserving the relative balls positions. With the rectangle multiselect, it can be done on the fly in a flash. Same to quickly experiment with some offsets within the Voice XY modulations
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

electro wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 2:28 am What separates PolyKB 3.5 from the other polys (Syn'X2, Repro-5, OP-X ProII, TAL)
it's very simlple : Sound AND features (like in Analog AND beyond)

Each Xils synth has innovative functions/features you won't find anywhere else.

And each has a sound that can't be replicated by another synth, including the different Xils themselves.

Let's take some analog polyphonic synths : PolyKB III has 3 oscilators. Like the Minimoog, but not like all poly VA synthesizers ( A lot of them have only two oscillators). But there's more : It has 3 MORPHING analog oscillators. And that doesn't only mean thousands of different combinations of oscillators, much more than on synths who propose to switch between different oscillators banks/models : This means you can dynamically modulate the waveform, and get 'oscillators combos flavors' that no other synth can generate. And anyway at the very least different that other synthesizers with similar features, if it exist, could offer.

You also have 2 zdf filters. It can help, and their color is different from other units.

Add all the rest, and for those who accept the idea that a synthesizer is a sum of interactive components, and that -capable- synths sound different one from another, maybe it's worth considering to demo it.

On a personal note : Minus the specificity of filters, I found the PolyKB to be usefull to get Minimoog bass/leads flavors, ... and beyond. But the most interesting thing, for me, is that I could create some patches that reminded me this beautiful Yamahe Cs-80 vibe. And I can't say that I had this feeling with so many synths.

But well, in short, besides the OPX, I own all the synths you mention. PKBIII is certainly different.

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

some patches, especially x,y seqs are very unique, but for me it is very complicated to build good own patches. Some other synths are more intuitive, I have to check the drawing mode

I found it took time to get into this synth, it's not so intuitive because of the different layout... but it's worth the time as it just gets better as you get to know how the controls work. The morphing filters make it quite unique - I can't imagine how difficult it was like to build them in the digital realm - but it's darn impressive!

Has anyone had trouble with the AU version on OS X (Mojave) with the eLicenser version? It fails validation on Logic, throwing up an error message about not being able to start or access SynsoPos. The SynsoPos background app is running fine (though it is good at failing at times).

In Live, it loads but fails to show the UI.

The VST was also borked and loaded without a UI. It also seems to contain a pile of PACE Eden files, which is a bit unexpected for an eLicenser-protected plugin, though it might be a side effect of the build process. However, when I saw its permissions were different to XILS4 (777 for the bundle and its files), changing those to 777 meant PolyKB III would run OK as a VST.

The same permissions change didn't work for the AU and made no difference to the errors.

AU Ilok version not working in Live for me. Live crashes. VST works.

I've had some problems installing the new version...
I downloaded and ran the installer for the new v.3.5. Opened the iLok manager to check everythings in place, checked my plugin folders that the latest A.U. is there... but Logic Pro X shows this message at startup:

You are using incompatible Audio Units.
Dear Logic Pro X user,
you have 2 Audio Unit(s) enabled which did not pass the Apple AU validation. This may cause problems and can even crash Logic Pro X or lead to data loss! Please check with the manufacturer(s) for updated versions. We recommend disabling these plug-ins in the Plug-In Manager.

I used the latest beta version, so I wonder if this is the problem?

Logic opens but PolyKB 3.5 shows, 'couldn't be opened' in the plug-ins manager.

I've forwarded all these -GUI don't show, AU validation crash- messages to Xils and will report asap.

Lotuzia wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 1:25 pm I've forwarded all these -GUI don't show, AU validation crash- messages to Xils and will report asap.
Thank you Lotuzia, that will be great. I will keep an eye on this thread.

Really like the new design well worth having. One tiny thing i would have is double click on a name in the browser. The browser closes and goes to the synth rather than having to press done. Maybe have it as an option. Keys don't release after turning hold off the sound turns off but the key remains depressed until clicked. Although the new path option is amazing

electro wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 2:28 am What separates PolyKB 3.5 from the other polys (Syn'X2, Repro-5, OP-X ProII, TAL)
At least, different timbre (not a random, exactly in preconfiguring timbre form) per note ability, and step playback of internal sequence thru keyboard, that really interesting ideas.
And the sound itself, there is something special in it, need admit.

boombaxx wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 2:01 pm Really like the new design well worth having. One tiny thing i would have is double click on a name in the browser. The browser closes and goes to the synth rather than having to press done. Maybe have it as an option. Keys don't release after turning hold off the sound turns off but the key remains depressed until clicked. Although the new path option is amazing
Thanks for the report
dbl click in NPM is not normal/expected behaviour, the preset should load instantaneously while you remain in the NPM window, allowing you to browse more presets until you find the right one, then press DONE to exit NPM. I'll forward your message to Xils (System details might be useful though)

Hemmick Reef wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 1:29 pm
Lotuzia wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 1:25 pm I've forwarded all these -GUI don't show, AU validation crash- messages to Xils and will report asap.
Thank you Lotuzia, that will be great. I will keep an eye on this thread.
Hopefully, these bugs might be fixed :

Bugs with some systems :

1/ No GUI :
_ Install the 3.5.1 beta version (uploaded May 20)
_ REBOOT
_ With LIVE, rescan the Plug-in folder while pressing ALT key (for a full rescan)

2/ eLicenser Problems (SynsoPos ) after No GUI issue :
_ Install 3.5.1 beta version
_ REBOOT

If this doesn't work, please, contact Xils directly via contact form on their site with system details. If this is fixed, please report here or to me by PM and I'll forward info to Xils.

sacer wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:50 am some patches, especially x,y seqs are very unique, but for me it is very complicated to build good own patches. Some other synths are more intuitive, I have to check the drawing mode
A synthesizer is always a balance between power/depth of programming and ease of use/learning curve, especially for the most advanced functions. PolyKB III is easy to program as 'your usual analog synthesizer', except it has more oscillators and filters than the average one. This beeing said, if you venture into complex modulators like Path, it requires a few efforts, which will be well rewarded -imho- by the unknown sonic territories you can discover.

You can also find add-on soundbanks on Xils site : in this page you have access to a lot of add-on soundbanks, including some made by the humble me. And including some using the last v3.5 features.

As soon as it's finished I'll post a YT video with PATH examples, to explain a bit what it can do.

Return to “Instruments”