Help me find a hw synth for my daughter

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ah almost forgot.. Akai mpk249 midi keyboard. Has keys and pads and works with mpc software, comes with few virtual synths. So your girl could really make songs.

donkey tugger wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:59 am In this day and age it's ok to admit you are buying a sinthesiser for yourself.
Is that a reminder to self... :hihi:

Mr_Geeeeeeetar :wink:

@OP my original thought was a mini brute, something that can introduce her to the concepts of synthesis and what everything does. You want poly tho. might have a look at the new microfreak. 4 voice paraphonic and they are pushing it on the 20 somethings pretty hard. personally, sounds like you want more of something like one of the new rolands. https://www.roland.com/us/products/jd-xa/

depending on space and finances of course. You seem to have a lot of desires at a smaller price point. Something used, or a good controller and software might be a better way to go. good luck.

Dasheesh wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 12:31 pm @OP my original thought was a mini brute, something that can introduce her to the concepts of synthesis and what everything does. You want poly tho. might have a look at the new microfreak. 4 voice paraphonic and they are pushing it on the 20 somethings pretty hard. personally, sounds like you want more of something like one of the new rolands. https://www.roland.com/us/products/jd-xa/

depending on space and finances of course. You seem to have a lot of desires at a smaller price point. Something used, or a good controller and software might be a better way to go. good luck.
Can the mini freak do piano?
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

I don't know, can it? he asked me what arturia i was looking at.

I'd like to throw another into the mix...
The Waldorf Blofeld.. polyphonic.
It comes as complete unit(ie with keyboard) or desktop and add something like the Arturia keystep (keyboard and sequencer)
It might seem a little complex at first but manageable and lets not forget how tuned into tech the kids are today.
Another thing to consider is longevity... I think this will keep her enthralled for years.

Just another unit into the mix... best of luck ;)

Get an IK UNO analog, and this years $200 61 key Yamaha rompler,
to cover the bread&butter sounds, drum machine, and basic sequencer.

The UNO arpegiator can play the Yamaha sounds,
the Yamaha will play the UNO sounds, so she can record
some riffs and runs as her skills develope.
Some decent headphones/speakers will help morale.

Plus, the UNO travels extremely well, batteries etc
Cheers

If you are open to used gear: how about something in the MC-303/505 range (or similar from Yamaha) as they covered all the usual bases (and not doubt Basses)? Otherwise, I'd also say Roland's JD-Xi or Gaia (altho I worry on how accessible the GM sounds really are) or a Juno Di or the like. Casio made a rather cool foray back into that space recently with the XW-P1, but probably hard to find around now.

You did mention that she would like to learn to play keys and a lot of the ideas above are more on learning simple synthesis stuff. I have two teen daughters and taught High School for many years. For your budget, I would suggest a used Yamaha MOXF 6 or a Roland Fantom XA...something along those lines. They have a lot of bread and butter sounds and plenty of synthy sounds suitable for Hip Hop, sequencing and pretty functional arps. The Roland even has sampling and a basic 4x4 set of pads for triggering beats. For a kid that age, they pack a lot of musical fun into one device and will avoid the possible frustrations of trying to learn the nerdy aspects of full blown, techy synths. It's important to remember the attention span of millenials in your purchase. If they can't get something "lit" sounding in the first 5 minutes it will just end up gathering dust.

I would also consider what is more important, learning to play or sound design. I think for that age learning to play is more important, it should be polyphonic then... $ 500 would also mean to get it used if it should be of good quality...

I've got synths/samplers that my kids mess with but gonna get a full-size digital piano so they can learn keys. In the process I can improve my playing too. Win-win!

I had previously convinced myself to get a miniKorg 'for the kids' but nope, want them to learn keys.

There are a lot of good suggestions and considerations here.

No, I don't mind used stuff.

I try a bit to think as if I was in her age. What would be "cool", what would be easy to understand and use. What would feel to complicated and boring, and, maybe, what would look "cool".

Sound wise I think all synths mentioned are fine.

She seems to like LED:s :-)

Normal sized keys, yes.
Polyphony - yes.

An analog / rompler hybrid sounds good.

I don't think a MIDI controller is ideal. Since it requires a host / DAW and there it might start to get a little complicated.

Later on one could always use the synth as a controller in a DAW.

Totally get your reasoning here.

You know her best and how she gets on with techy stuff etc. We don’t want to put up extra barriers or scare her off. It’s discouraging enough already for girls, with the culture as it is.

It’d be good to get a girl’s perspective!

As for what’s cool, that’s a tricky one. I’m not down with the cool kids, although I suspect that a fair few of them covet Ableton Push 2 controllers and Digitakts. Not what you’re asking about, though.

I think whatever you get her, you’re clearly trying. I’m sure you’ll make a fair choice, and she’s a lucky girl whether she appreciates it or not. This whole thread’s an expression of paternal love, and it warms my heart.

Maybe something like a second hand Korg Triton? They go for not too much these days. 61 keys, polyphonic ...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Korg-Triton-Le ... 3484104210

sfd wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 12:15 pm There are a lot of good suggestions and considerations here.

No, I don't mind used stuff.

I try a bit to think as if I was in her age. What would be "cool", what would be easy to understand and use. What would feel to complicated and boring, and, maybe, what would look "cool".

Sound wise I think all synths mentioned are fine.

She seems to like LED:s :-)

Normal sized keys, yes.
Polyphony - yes.

An analog / rompler hybrid sounds good.

I don't think a MIDI controller is ideal. Since it requires a host / DAW and there it might start to get a little complicated.

Later on one could always use the synth as a controller in a DAW.
have you asked her what she would like?
as in what shes interested in learning?
it may be shes more interested in the engineering side of things, than the music creation.

its a fun journey to be on for sure, maybe a trip to a local store together, see what bits attract her. :)
might be she just wants a mic if she enjoys singing ;)

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”