Huge sale on Cubase 10 - 50% off for new purchases or crossgrades

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

NeoKortex88 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 8:46 pm My friend says for crossgrade I would have to give up my logic is that true?
There are three different crossgrade/upgrade scenarios.

Crossgrade from a non-Steinberg product to a Steinberg product (as you are perhaps going to do)

The licence of the non-Steinberg product you crossgraded from remains in force.

If the crossgrade is amongst those passed to Steinberg for authorisation, you should expect Steinberg to retain a record of the product you crossgraded from and refuse to authorise a further crossgrade from the same licence of that product. If they do not keep records then they open themselves to fraud from people repeatedly crossgrading the same product and selling on the resulting full licences.

Crossgrade / upgrade from a Cubase licence to a higher edition and/or later version of Cubase

The original licence is lost, but this should not have any negative effects.

Any Cubase licence allows you to run a lower edition and/or earlier version of Cubase than that is permissible under the licence. My Cubase 10 Pro licence should run Cubase 8 Elements or Cubase 9.5 Pro, though I might have to upgrade eLicenser Control Center on the machine with the older / lower Cubase installation before the licence works.

The only scenario in which there is any loss is moving to Cubase Artist or Pro from Cubase Elements, Ai or LE. A Cubase Artist or Pro licence must be kept on a USB eLicenser, whereas licences for the lower editions of Cubase can be kept on a soft eLicenser or a USB eLicenser.

Crossgrade from Cubase to Nuendo

The original licence is lost and you can no longer run Cubase. If you need to save .cpr files to collaborate with other Cubase users then you will need to obtain another licence for Cubase.

Steinberg continue to refuse to allow a Nuendo licence to unlock any edition of Cubase. Nuendo is released from the same codebase as Cubase from the release of Nuendo 10 onwards, making Nuendo a superset of Cubase Pro other than one small exception that will not bother most people (Nuendo does not support VST Transit, Cubase Pro has built in support). So far, Steinberg have remained unmoved over this policy.

Hopefully Steinberg will realise their policy dissuades people for whom the additional features of Nuendo are nice to have rather than essential from paying the extra up front cost for Nuendo plus likely higher upgrade costs for Nuendo rather than Cubase in the future. From Nuendo 10 onwards, it would make sense for Steinberg to allow someone with a Nuendo licence to use the same version of Cubase Pro.

If you need to collaborate with other Cubase users .npr files run on Cubase, and vice versa no problem.
Last edited by jancivil on Sun May 19, 2019 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

In Future Music #302 there's an interview with the DNB legends Ed Rush & Optical. Below is a quote of a statement I always found intriguing (ironically, one guy is using Cubase while the other uses Studio One):
ER&O_FM302.jpg

Anybody here feels the same? (Unfortunately I can't test this claim on my 8010As :hihi:)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

e@rs wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 8:04 am In Future Music #302 there's an interview with the DNB legends Ed Rush & Optical. Below is a quote of a statement I always found intriguing (ironically, one guy is using Cubase while the other uses Studio One):

ER&O_FM302.jpg

Anybody here feels the same? (Unfortunately I can't test this claim on my 8010As :hihi:)
I do, and I feel exactly same. Cubase is much deeper while S1 is brighter.

^ :o

They sound exactly the same, as they should - otherwise at least one of them would be broken. There have been countless nulling tests been done over the years by various folks that prove that all normal DAWs sum correctly and thus all deliver the exact same result.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Matt doesn't know what he's talking about.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Just a silly question:

If I buy the crossgrade to Cubase Pro, can I install and use Elements as long as I don´t have the dongle??
Means does having a license for Pro means having a license for Artist and Elements as well??

David W wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 3:28 am Steinberg continue to refuse to allow a Nuendo licence to unlock any edition of Cubase. Nuendo is released from the same codebase as Cubase from the release of Nuendo 10 onwards, making Nuendo a superset of Cubase Pro other than one small exception that will not bother most people (Nuendo does not support VST Transit, Cubase Pro has built in support). So far, Steinberg have remained unmoved over this policy.
This is solely due to a technical limitation of the current licensing system/mechanism. Forget all that sharing same codebase business. They've explained (many times) there is just no way a single license can ever be generated that will unlock/activate more than one product across families. (Although you can have one license that's able to cover multiple products within the same family of course - i.e. a higher version will allow running of all lower versions).

We know SB have stated they are acutely aware of this inflexibility and the many frustrations of reliance on use of the dongle. A separate team was setup some time ago to look into replacing the whole system (reported on the Dorico forums).

So on the surface, yes, we're still stuck where we are - but behind the scenes the reality is more positive. They are actively working on solutions. The situation will change... a new licensing system will be forthcoming.
Win10; i7 4790K; 16Gb RAM; GTX750Ti; Cubase Pro v13.0.30; WaveLab Pro v11.2.0; S1 v6.5.2; UR44 audio/MIDI

e@rs wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 8:04 am In Future Music #302 there's an interview with the DNB legends Ed Rush & Optical. Below is a quote of a statement I always found intriguing (ironically, one guy is using Cubase while the other uses Studio One):

ER&O_FM302.jpg

This is the gazllionth time i read that a artist chose his DAW, because it sounds the best to him. And, shoot me, but, i felt like i also heard a difference between Cubase and Studio One.

jens wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 8:24 am They sound exactly the same, as they should - otherwise at least one of them would be broken. There have been countless nulling tests been done over the years by various folks that prove that all normal DAWs sum correctly and thus all deliver the exact same result.
While this is factually right ("they sound the same"), if they only null up to a certain level, there is a difference. It's funny, because, typically, people say that you should not trust your ears, but rather measure, while, in this case, it's all about trusting your ears. ;) Even though, as i mentioned, i think i hear a difference, but, i rather take that for what it is, a perception, no actual proof.

Trancit wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 9:28 am Just a silly question:

If I buy the crossgrade to Cubase Pro, can I install and use Elements as long as I don´t have the dongle??
Means does having a license for Pro means having a license for Artist and Elements as well??
No. You would need to have a Cubase license locally on your computer if you want to use Elements without a dongle. You can only put an Elements license on your computer. And Artist and Pro are the same software program. It will start as Pro or Artist depending on the license it finds.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

chk071 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 10:54 am This is the gazllionth time i read that a artist chose his DAW, because it sounds the best to him. And, shoot me, but, i felt like i also heard a difference between Cubase and Studio One.
You're among the most coherent guys around here, but this time I don't understand what you're trying to transmit in the end... :?
Bombadil wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 8:32 am Matt doesn't know what he's talking about.
:lol: Ever heard about Ed Rush & Optical before? Legends is not an exaggeration in their case. They probably know a thing or two about the gear they're using.

Lets start talking about that Reason Sound -- I know I sure haven't heard about it enough, looks like a good time to rehash it!

Perception is constantly skewed by minuscule amounts of information that our brains process in any given moment, quite meshed together and untrustworthy. I could load up a song in cubase with a bright red theme, change the theme to blue and most people will perceive the sound differently. I could give example after example of ways and individual's perception is not to be 100% trustworthy, so while its true in some cases, it requires a case study to know what exactly is 'different'. And even that case study will vary results...

Regardless, I still haven't heard about my dongle. Dongle... what a great word.
Have you tried Vital?

e@rs wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 1:00 pm
chk071 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 10:54 am This is the gazllionth time i read that a artist chose his DAW, because it sounds the best to him. And, shoot me, but, i felt like i also heard a difference between Cubase and Studio One.
You're among the most coherent guys around here, but this time I don't understand what you're trying to transmit in the end... :?
Bombadil wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 8:32 am Matt doesn't know what he's talking about.
:lol: Ever heard about Ed Rush & Optical before? Legends is not an exaggeration in their case. They probably know a thing or two about the gear they're using.
'Legend,' like 'genius,' is, for all intents and purposes, an over-used and meaningless term, these days. Someone can hardly be a 'legend' if I don't know who he is. Besides, does he have his own bubblegum cards?
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”