BlueARP VST Arpeggiator development - let's discuss! (Apple M1 ready, 4K)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
BlueARP

Thanks for the great BlueArp - its damn great and I love it. Just a quick question about the gui - would it be possible to have it resizable in the future? With high resolution monitors nowadays its getting more and more hard to read whats on the gui.
Bitwig, Roland TR-8S, 303, Volcas, Deepmind12, Neutron, Poly D, NI | Berlin, Germany

I've played with Cubase and Ableton a little more and found out it is not possible to directly map the "sync" parameter to a button or several buttons. Currently, the "sync" parameter can only be mapped to a knob or slider/fader to correctly change the value of the "sync" parameter. As a result, I would like to see a radio button or option button for each value so that each possible value of the "sync" parameter could be mapped to a physical button on a hardware midi controller as a feature request like I mentioned before. I wanted to make and post an image of how the GUI could look with this implemented to give you an idea of what I'm talking about. It is posted below.

This additional feature along with the other currently available features already implemented would literally allow BlueARP to function just like an Akai MPC!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Here's another suggestion/feature request.

The keyboard is divided into 2 ranges:

- The "fretting" range, where you play to define the chord.
- The "picking" range, where you play to pick single notes from the chord.

In many cases, it's convenient if the picking range consists of white keys only.

How would it work in practice? As an example, let's assume fretting range is C2-B3 and picking range is C4-B6.
By holding down these keys in the fretting area:

C2 F2 Bb2 E3,

You'd get a mapping like this in the picking area:

C4 -> C2
D4 -> F2
E4 -> Bb2
F4 -> E3

So you can strum or arpeggiate arbitrary sets of notes. Or map them to percussion controllers, for that matter. And, what matters most, change the mapping instantly just by playing a different chord in the fretting area.

Do you think this feature could be added to Blue Arp, or does it sound more like a different midi plugin altogether? There's nothing like this available as far as I've been able to find out - and I searched quite a bit.

What is your strategy for changing sequences?
I could imagine allocate some keys (like C0-C1...) for changing programs.
Currently I can send Program change editing project (Reaper), but I don't know how to make it during live performance.

Any ideas? Or maybe it's nice feature request?

with regards

Hi. I'm new to BlueArp and to this forum. I have a basic question about BlueArp and haven't been able to locate the answer in the manual or by using the search function. Does BlueArp permit simultaneous notes? The image of the interface I saw on the internet showed separate rows for K1, K2, etc., and I was hoping that would permit multiple notes. But the interface on the actual product is different, and only seems to permit a single note. I'd really like to have multiple notes because I am trying to replicate patterns for piano and guitar, and they usually pairs of simultaneous note (but not full chords) sprinkled among the single notes.

Thanks.

Okay, I haven't found any indication that BlueArp can play two notes at once, so I'll assume it doesn't. I'll have to keep looking.

But before I go, I want to throw a couple of kudos Gray Wolf's way. Not only have you built a wonderful arp, but you built in collaboration with your users. I have rarely seen a developer be so responsive to his base. Well done.

I saw a video on YT demonstrating various sequences played by BlueArp, inl playing chords.
So it's possible if it's what you meant. Personally I never did it.

There's a polyphonic mode that lets your sequence with chords if you want. See pg. 21 of the manual.

Thanks to you both for pointing that out, but I played with the chord option a fair bit and the all-or-none note-vs-chord dichotomy just doesn't let me replicate the kinds of patterns guitarists and pianists use. Many guitar picks (e.g., a Travis Pick) include pinches, which play a bass note along with a treble note but no other notes, and lots of piano riffs use a combination of the root and fifth without the third & other such combinations.

I am currently using the scripting language in UVI Falcon to prototype what I'm looking for. Falcon really gets the scripting thing right, and I had a simple version of it up and running, complete with a GUI for setting the patterns, in less than a day. So I think I've found a good path to what I'm after.

No updates so far, but some good news - I started working on scalable GUI feature, since there were several requests and I realize on 4K bluearp will look too tiny.
It is a lot of reworking to do, but overall it seems to be not as bad as I expected.
I already have a dirty prototype.
I don't know how long will it take, probably 2-3 more weekends.
Last edited by graywolf2004 on Sun May 12, 2019 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Great news!

graywolf2004 wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 4:34 pm No updates so far, but some good news - I started working on scalable GUI feature, since there were several requests and I realize on 4K bluearp will look too tiny.
It is a lot of reworking to do, but overall it seems to be not too bad as I expected.
The Surge guys would probably love to know what you come up with.

Saffran wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 5:42 pm
graywolf2004 wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 4:34 pm No updates so far, but some good news - I started working on scalable GUI feature, since there were several requests and I realize on 4K bluearp will look too tiny.
It is a lot of reworking to do, but overall it seems to be not too bad as I expected.
The Surge guys would probably love to know what you come up with.
So would the guys at Vertigo (for the VSM-3) ;)
Last edited by jbraner on Sun May 12, 2019 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Braner
http://johnbraner.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
and all the major streaming/download sites.

fr- to be able to click "B" and change to "P"..so this parameters can became "program-related", thanks.

Saffran wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 5:42 pmThe Surge guys would probably love to know what you come up with.
What am I missing (or you), because the Surge GUI is perfectly scalable on my system (running 1.6 beta though) :hihi:
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

Return to “Instruments”