iPad music starter configuration?

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What should be on an iPad to make some acceptable sounds and tracks?
Garageband
Audiobus?
AUM?
BeepStreet Zeeon?
BeepStreet Sunrizer?
Moog stuff?
Ruismaker stuff?
KorgGadget?
Synth One?
Synthmaster?
What else?

iPadPro?
Big Screen?
Pencil?
Keyboard?

Depends on what you want to do. Lots of different approaches on iOS and they all have their advocates.

If you’re recording audio (guitar/keys/mics etc. via an interface) check out Auria Pro.

If you’re tracking synth apps etc. Nanostudio 2 is hard to beat.

For jamming with different synths, sequencers and fx and seeing what comes out, check AUM.

Some love Beatmaker 3, Gadget... Loads of apps these days, so it can get expensive (be warned). I’ve found Auria Pro and NanoStudio 2 the best fit for me. Hate Gadget and love SunVox. Go figure.

Whatever approach you take, check out the Samplr app.

Maybe give the audiobus forum a visit too. Good luck!

Thanks!
Looking for producing music ITB on an iPad, no recording, no hardware etc...

Nanostudio 2 is where I’d start in that case. It’s a joy to use. I’ll avoid gushing and just say that it’s a very good thing.

I’d still want Samplr, though. And Patterning 2. And Model 15. I’d try to stop there. If you ever need more sounds, Obsidian (the synth in NS2) doubles as a very capable sampler.

Cubasis is OK and comes up on half-price sale at times, though I think you just missed one. Digital D1 (from the same place as Synth One, but costs) is very nice, especially if you like the 80s sounds. If you like playing with synths, Addictive Synth and Sunrizer are also good.

For getting acoustic musical ideas down, check out Music Memos. For basic sound editing, Hokusai. And one app every musician, podcaster, and general sound wrangler should have is AudioShare. It's the easiest way of getting stuff from here to there without having to jump through hoops.

A couple of other DAWs to consider would be Audio Evolution and the newest version of n-Track Studio (I like them because I masochistically try to do music production on an iPhone SE, and unlike some others both have iPhone versions). In terms of plugins, there's a ton of stuff out there now, and a lot of it AUv3, which is easier to work with than inter-app audio. Bram Bos' stuff (ruismaker etc.) is top-notch, iceworks also have a variety of interesting synths, or if you want huge multi-layer workstations there are things like LayR or Yonac Kaspar. If you just want to have a simple all-in-one-ish solution, then Gadget can fit the bill with a lot of purpose-built synths (although you can also do that approach for free with the Caustic app).

martinjuenke wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 8:22 pm Thanks!
I am dumb - what is "ITB"?

mikeparent wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 2:44 pm
In The Box, no hardware synths.

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Try searching for something appropriate here (https://500bestapps.com/). They have reviews of different applications, including some useful sound apps. I'm sure you will find some additional tips.

Actually you don't need nothing more than Garageband and at least a decent set of Headphones ($200+) to start!

If you get an iPad with Lightning-Port and you want to connect an USB-Audio-interface ONLY get the original Apple Lightning USB3 adapter
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W ... r?fnode=91
DO NOT BUY CHEAP ADAPTERS!!! They are the No.1 source of all problems when connecting USB-gear.

I'd say save your money until you know what you are missing in Garageband. Get to know it, look up some tutorials, _then_ move on and spent money on what ever DAW seems more fitting to you.

There are tons of good synths and effects out there but the ONLY thing that really counts is that they are AUv3-compatible, which makes it much easier to integrate into any DAW for In The Box-Production.

as you check around certain names will come up more frequently, like Bram Bos, Audio Damage, Beepstreet, Klevgränd, Kai Aras, VirSyn, Ferderic Corvac, DDMF etc. All good.
Last edited by mindnoise on Thu May 23, 2019 2:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

:tu:

T-CM11 wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 2:50 pm
mikeparent wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 2:44 pm
In The Box, no hardware synths.
Ah thank you.

Martin: what sort of music would you be producing?

Dark pulsing ambient...

Honesty - it's such a hot mess of endless quantity of awesome stuff that all almost works together, that it's almost more frustrating than if there were no choice. Get a bunch of favorite apps and start going crazy because one is IAA only, another Audiobus, another AU3, clocks work but record start doesn't, etc. You can get a great rig together (apps only or working with outboard recording / DAW), but it takes a while to settle into a workflow and it usually means some compromise. My experience at least, and not as much a criticism as an observation that number of choices of great apps and combinations, given the plethora of standards and limitations, makes it difficult to come up with a template.

If you really want to just get up and running quickly, all-in-ones like GarageBand and Gadget are great and save some frustration. Otherwise, the two most complete DAWs are probably Cubasis and Auria, but there are plenty of other apps that provide DAW-like functionality - apps like Beatmaker have their own set of charms, but again - you may be hard-pressed to find a workflow that suits you once you start combining.

This is a great resource for all things iOS:

https://discchord.com/

Subscribe to this channel; dude is a legend a doing a great service to the mobile community (seems like a super-nice guy too :) )
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZFPiL ... sBS9CIu3xg

I will also say this: No matter what you do, don't skip Patterning:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pattern ... 90555?mt=8

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”