April Contest: Gossip

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

folderol wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:53 pm Just my 2d
I'd be quite annoyed if the downloadable requirement was dropped :( :cry:
When I'm trying to sort out my preferences to vote, I rapidly chop and change between the entries - can't do that on any streaming service I know of :roll:
+1

Wopelka wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:50 am
folderol wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:53 pm Just my 2d
I'd be quite annoyed if the downloadable requirement was dropped :( :cry:
When I'm trying to sort out my preferences to vote, I rapidly chop and change between the entries - can't do that on any streaming service I know of :roll:
+1
same here

I wish i could finish my cover of Tourette from Nirvana !!!!

I definitely think that having the entries be downloadable is a key requirement. It enables folks to download all the entries to one folder and step through them, either on their PC or phone and do quick comparisons (rather than having to manage a bunch of streaming links). Plus, everyone who enters is subject to the same .mp3 file format restriction so the playing field is at least level in that respect (and note that these could be 320kbps mp3s if you really wanted).

Since people could be downloading / listening on their phones, I also want to be respectful of data limits, and not require people to download a bunch of 60MB audio files (kvrians being what we are, if we opened it up to .wav files, I'm sure everything would be uploaded at 32-bit/192kHz ;-) ). Personally, though, I do think a good mix can survive the trip to .mp3-land relatively intact.
GLHF! (Gandalf Lives, Hobbits Forever!)

DrApostropheX wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:34 pm I definitely think that having the entries be downloadable is a key requirement. It enables folks to download all the entries to one folder and step through them, either on their PC or phone and do quick comparisons (rather than having to manage a bunch of streaming links). Plus, everyone who enters is subject to the same .mp3 file format restriction so the playing field is at least level in that respect (and note that these could be 320kbps mp3s if you really wanted).

Since people could be downloading / listening on their phones, I also want to be respectful of data limits, and not require people to download a bunch of 60MB audio files (kvrians being what we are, if we opened it up to .wav files, I'm sure everything would be uploaded at 32-bit/192kHz ;-) ). Personally, though, I do think a good mix can survive the trip to .mp3-land relatively intact.
Wise words. :tu:

DrApostropheX wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:34 pm I definitely think that having the entries be downloadable is a key requirement.
No objections whatsoever. I wasn't aware that all people don't do like me. Listen and take notes - paper and pencil! :)
To be is to do — Socrates.
To do is to be — Jean-Paul Sartre.
Do be do be do — Frank Sinatra.

Back in the PC days, I would typically load all the entries up into a MediaMonkey (or whatever) playlist and then order the tracks by preference in there (it made A/B comparisons easy). When mp3 players and smartphones came along, I can kind of do the same thing (though I can't change the order of tracks on the playlist on the fly while I'm driving).
GLHF! (Gandalf Lives, Hobbits Forever!)

Wadayamean 'Back in the PC days'?
That's what I use all the time :phones: :P
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

DrApostropheX wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:32 pm Back in the PC days, I would typically load all the entries up into a MediaMonkey (or whatever) playlist and then order the tracks by preference in there (it made A/B comparisons easy). When mp3 players and smartphones came along, I can kind of do the same thing (though I can't change the order of tracks on the playlist on the fly while I'm driving).
Weren't some of these habits part of an era when the Contest typically had 30 or more entries? Organizing it all and trying to be fair to everyone who participated was not easy and doubtless led to people developing certain established routines.

Fuzion Brothers wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:42 am
Wopelka wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:24 pm Seems to me that this one is kind of jazzy. Dunno if Nu Jazz is the right label ?

Enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/wopelka/urban-dreamer

FL Studio, Jamstix 4, Trilian, MODO Bass, Falcon, Session Horns Pro, Lounge Lizzard 4, Chromaphone 2, Presswerk, Valhalla Room & Shimmer, EQal, Ozone 8.
Interesting work. Good luck!
Thanks a lot, but your nice words belong to this thread, not the Submissions one. :wink:

What are you guys doing with the member's submission from the new guy with 2 posts, didn't follow any of the contest rules, and didn't provide a downloadable file? I'm not going to a link that isn't approved by this forum. If I'm going to be disqualified because of this, please let me know now. IMO, his entry should be deleted.

wagtunes wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:09 pm What are you guys doing with the member's submission from the new guy with 2 posts, didn't follow any of the contest rules, and didn't provide a downloadable file? I'm not going to a link that isn't approved by this forum. If I'm going to be disqualified because of this, please let me know now. IMO, his entry should be deleted.
Come on lad, how's about a bit more of a proportionate response eh? No need for a nuclear meltdown. :lol: What about instead someone politely contacting him and explaining the rules, or something similarly reasonable? It's a bandcamp link so it's fine by the way. Don't know where this 'disqualification' bizzle is from mind?

donkey tugger wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:21 pm
wagtunes wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:09 pm What are you guys doing with the member's submission from the new guy with 2 posts, didn't follow any of the contest rules, and didn't provide a downloadable file? I'm not going to a link that isn't approved by this forum. If I'm going to be disqualified because of this, please let me know now. IMO, his entry should be deleted.
Come on lad, how's about a bit more of a proportionate response eh? No need for a nuclear meltdown. :lol: What about instead someone politely contacting him and explaining the rules, or something similarly reasonable? It's a bandcamp link so it's fine by the way. Don't know where this 'disqualification' bizzle is from mind?
Because I don't know where that link is going to take me to. For all I know, I could end up downloading a virus.

Tell you what? You click on the link first and if you don't get a virus warning, I'll go there next. I'm all for cutting a guy some slack but sheesh, I mean why have rules if we don't have to follow them? It's a lot less work to just post a link and be done with it.

wagtunes wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:25 pm
Because I don't know where that link is going to take me to. For all I know, I could end up downloading a virus.

Tell you what? You click on the link first and if you don't get a virus warning, I'll go there next. I'm all for cutting a guy some slack but sheesh, I mean why have rules if we don't have to follow them? It's a lot less work to just post a link and be done with it.
I already did click it - it's fine.

I'm not saying let him enter in the current form, what I am saying is instead of immediately using the stick, offer the carrot...Point him to the rules first and see if he can sort out a downloadable file etc.

donkey tugger wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:30 pm
wagtunes wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:25 pm

I already did click it - it's fine.

I'm not saying let him enter in the current form, what I am saying is instead of immediately using the stick, offer the carrot...Point him to the rules first and see if he can sort out a downloadable file etc.
While I think that's the job of the admin, I'm going to PM him and point him to the contest rules and advise him what changes he needs to make.

Because I can be a decent guy once in a while.

Return to “Music Cafe”