TTU - Guess the Synth Contest! Soundset for Serum "Holographic Universe" Released

For discussion and announcements of soundware - patches, presets, soundsets, soundbanks, loop libraries, construction kits, MIDI libraries, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Holographic Universe Soundset for Serum

Touch The Universe wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:06 pm
Tj Shredder wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:26 pm Oh, if it could be a new synth in your palette, I would say its Surge...
Out of a business point of view it makes sense to have a pack for a free synth. You could deliver the synth with it...
Would that work? Could I distribute it with the soundset? Never seen it before :idea:
Its under a GPL license, that means as long you follow the rules it would be possible. I would rather just link to the sourceforge download though...; - )
And be careful, if you compile a Surge version which include your presets, they would transform into free GPLed presets...
Your Halion sets are also something which work with a free (as in beer) player...

chk071 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:56 pm I say, Adam Szabo Viper. :)

Ok, on a second thought, i guess both weren't good guesses, as it seems to be a synth with both wavetables and a formant filter... hmmm...

I guess it's Parawave Rapid.
Rapid is very likely, actually It was one of my first guesses, but i think TTU already has made few soundsets for it.

Viper is not actually impossible. It has single-cycle waves (and can import custom ones) and I actually don't hear any example where I would say that it couldn't be anything else than a wavetable sweep. You can add movement to the sound in multiple ways.

Another guess is Diversion.

We'll soon be out of synths that can do vowels :D
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Tj Shredder wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:36 am
Tj Shredder wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:26 pm Oh, if it could be a new synth in your palette, I would say its Surge...
Out of a business point of view it makes sense to have a pack for a free synth. You could deliver the synth with it...
Would that work? Could I distribute it with the soundset? Never seen it before :idea:
Its under a GPL license, that means as long you follow the rules it would be possible. I would rather just link to the sourceforge download though...; - )
And be careful, if you compile a Surge version which include your presets, they would transform into free GPLed presets...
Your Halion sets are also something which work with a free (as in beer) player...
This is an interesting idea. I suppose I'd use the latest version, but whenever its updated, I'd have to update all the download links, which I might forget to do sometimes. I still like the idea though, just install the plugin and the presets are there! But, sounds like there are too many caveats there. One of these days, I think I need to commission a synth :hyper:

The question becomes, would the majority of people buy a soundset for a free synth? I'd LOVE to hear any market data on this. If a paid soundset exists for a free synth, let me know and I'll contact the creator :)
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

recursive one wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:11 am
chk071 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:56 pm I say, Adam Szabo Viper. :)

Ok, on a second thought, i guess both weren't good guesses, as it seems to be a synth with both wavetables and a formant filter... hmmm...

I guess it's Parawave Rapid.
Rapid is very likely, actually It was one of my first guesses, but i think TTU already has made few soundsets for it.

Viper is not actually impossible. It has single-cycle waves (and can import custom ones) and I actually don't hear any example where I would say that it couldn't be anything else than a wavetable sweep. You can add movement to the sound in multiple ways.

Another guess is Diversion.

We'll soon be out of synths that can do vowels :D
It's definitely sounding good, and not thin. So, a couple of synths which usually get a lot of hype around here are already out. :D

chk071 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:48 am It's definitely sounding good, and not thin. So, a couple of synths which usually get a lot of hype around here are already out. :D
Yes, sounds good. Curious to know what synth is that actually.

Next try: Serum?

Thanks guys :D

Most of you guys are on the right line on thought.

Here is a little hint, as a lot of you have guessed, it IS a wavetable synth :)

To point you in the right direction, I think this pad reveals a lot of hints, enough to narrow down the possible synths a lot.

https://soundcloud.com/ttu-soundset/pad ... et-streams
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

IMO, it doesn't have that harsh character Serum has. Filters sound quite in the direction of Spire, Viper, and such. I think i stick to my guess, Rapid. :)

Ok, Arturia Pigment. I'm not familiar with it at all, so I'm just guessing

It has WTs and formant filter though.

I'm sticking to my guess (would be unfair otherwise :)), but, could well be Pigments as well, that's true. Actually, i find that more likely than Rapid now.

Maybe Icarus?

Touch The Universe wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:54 am
Tj Shredder wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:36 am
This is an interesting idea. I suppose I'd use the latest version, but whenever its updated, I'd have to update all the download links, which I might forget to do sometimes. I still like the idea though, just install the plugin and the presets are there! But, sounds like there are too many caveats there. One of these days, I think I need to commission a synth :hyper:

The question becomes, would the majority of people buy a soundset for a free synth? I'd LOVE to hear any market data on this. If a paid soundset exists for a free synth, let me know and I'll contact the creator :)
Most download links on those open source hosting sites point to the latest version. But I think its good practice to just point to the site and don‘t do a direct download... I would prefer it in case I did not have the synth...
I guess you would only do a set if the synth itself is inspiring you. You can easily do your own research after having some fun with the sound design...; - )

Shh... not so loud... someone will jump in and claim that it is immoral to make a paid sound set for a free synth. ;)

chk071 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:43 pm Shh... not so loud... someone will jump in and claim that it is immoral to make a paid sound set for a free synth. ;)
Maybe just as moral as selling pirated software?? Much of the same concept... selling something opportunistically at the expense of the goodwill of the developer..

I disagree. 1. Surge used to be a payware synth, so, there are payware soundsets available anyway. 2. Even if it wasn't, if the license allows to make commercial music with it, or make money in another context, say, soundsets, it is allowed, and even encouraged by the developer that people make use of the synth commercially.

I can't find anything immoral about selling presets for a free synth, unless the license disallows it. If people want to pay for presets, if there's a market for it, there's nothing bad about it.

Pirating something is completely different. It's against the license, it's stealing from the developer, and, it's immoral in the sense that you give a crap about the work, and will of others.

chk071 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:45 pm I disagree. 1. Surge used to be a payware synth, so, there are payware soundsets available anyway. 2. Even if it wasn't, if the license allows to make commercial music with it, or make money in another context, say, soundsets, it is allowed, and even encouraged by the developer that people make use of the synth commercially.

I can't find anything immoral about selling presets for a free synth, unless the license disallows it. If people want to pay for presets, if there's a market for it, there's nothing bad about it.

Pirating something is completely different. It's against the license, it's stealing from the developer, and, it's immoral in the sense that you give a crap about the work, and will of others.

I feel the base principal is the same in the sense of you dont give a crap that the developer intended his synth to be used for the greater good of the community and not for the commercial gain of another induvidual. The moral thing would be to donate at least some of your proceeds to the freeware developer if possible as a token of appreciation or recognition of his hard work! Thats just my personal take on the situation...

Anyway... back on topic.. I think the synth used is ANA2

Return to “Soundware”