The Pleasure of Knowing You | Britpop?

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

sjm wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:17 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:08 pm Was also handy to check that he didn't actually sing, "I pick up the pieces of your master’s faeces" :o :lol:
Rewrite now imminent...
My fault for listening while distracted. Will listen again with more attention :tu:

donkey tugger wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:35 pm
wagtunes wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:27 pm Anyway, sounds like somebody but can't think of they're name right now.
Little bit of Blur, bits like Nirvana, drums a bit like the Stone Temple Pilots, but not directly any of them for me. I always reckon the good songs always remind you a bit of something else.
sounds a bit dodgy to me.
the band, not the adjective. well, that early 90s indie style, senseless things and such.
with a drunk robert smith on vox :lol:

all in all a well put together piece of pop rock :tu:
between you and donks theres some great songs being written, you both deserve so much more 8)

justin3am wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:20 am What mic are you using?
Same as probably half the world:
mic.png
Got given the NT1-A by a good friend (best man at our wedding) about 10 years ago. Now he uses it as an excuse to get me to record voiceovers featuring waffly marketing nonsense we have written together with the express intention of getting everyone to win at bullshit bingo. At least I get paid for the privilege... :party: (to be honest, it's hilariously good fun)

Speaking of which, I'm supposed to be translating marketing waffle and not wasting time on the KVRs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

donkey tugger wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:12 am
Frantz wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:30 am Random observations:

* The drums are a bit soft sounding. They could be harder hitting and more energetic.
:lol: I said exactly the same on the IL forum.. I think I'll retire my 'Frantz' account now. :hihi:

Altough the drums are ok for me now..would take mebbe just a leetle bit more 'thwack' in the choruses, but not so as to veer it into 'ard rokk...
I suck at drum mixing; I partly blame it on never having been a drummer. I've had zero experience with micing drum kits or mixing drums, so feel a bit lost. I do think I've improved over the past year or so though - I've got a much better idea now of what might work, and in particular, what doesn't - by virtue of having done loads of stuff that does't work. :cry:

The drums in general always end up being a massive time sink. Recording the other parts is a doddle, because they take 10 minutes each to record or so, and then a bit of time to cut things up and paste them in the play list. Programming the drums is a tedious, finicky process that would be much easier if I could just play the part live. So a good 50% of the time I spend on a track is the bloody drums.

I guess I could just get someone with e-drums to play the part for me and send me the MIDI... but that'd be cheating, right?

sjm wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:30 pm
Same as probably half the world...
Yeah, but it sounds good. That's what matters. I'm always surprised that those portable reflection filters do such a good job. They don't do much about background noise but they really help tone down flutter delays and harsh brightness.

Thanks!

Nice song! Love how it's broken up by the phasery bridge bit. Very enjoyable, well done.

seismic1 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:11 am That's a fine piece of pop songwriting. I liked the lyrics, and the rhymes worked for me. You managed to sneak "endeavour" in there seamlessly.
Cheers. Is there anything special about the word "endeavour" that made you pick that one out? I dunno if anyone noticed, but towards the end, I put a delay on "ever" (all I ever) that syncs up with the ending of "endeavour" on the fourth (I think) repetition.
vurt wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:21 pm sounds a bit dodgy to me.
the band, not the adjective. well, that early 90s indie style, senseless things and such.
with a drunk robert smith on vox :lol:
You reckon I still sound like Robert Smith on the booze on this one too?
vurt wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:21 pm all in all a well put together piece of pop rock :tu:
between you and donks theres some great songs being written, you both deserve so much more 8)
I'm a big fan of DT's stuff - if you're seeing parallels there, it presumably has to do with the fact that we are using the same DAW with a superior summing engine to most of the others on the market. Nothing to do with the songwriting itself...

sjm wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:28 pm
seismic1 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:11 am That's a fine piece of pop songwriting. I liked the lyrics, and the rhymes worked for me. You managed to sneak "endeavour" in there seamlessly.
Cheers. Is there anything special about the word "endeavour" that made you pick that one out? I dunno if anyone noticed, but towards the end, I put a delay on "ever" (all I ever) that syncs up with the ending of "endeavour" on the fourth (I think) repetition.
I think it was really related to the rarity of the use of the word in song lyrics generally, but I liked the rhyming of a two syllable word with a three syllable word within the same line. That was very satisfying to hear and gave the rhythm of the lyrics an added attraction.

I only just noticed the delay :D

sjm wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:28 pm we are using the same DAW with a superior summing engine to most of the others on the market. Nothing to do with the songwriting itself...
:lol:

teh frootyloops is the bizzle shizzle an ting. This ain't no chicken and gravy, or something..

noelyoungstudio wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:57 am Nice song! Love how it's broken up by the phasery bridge bit. Very enjoyable, well done.
Thanks!

The little keys section there was a bit of an afterthought tbh. I didn't want to add a bridge and draw the song out, so I needed something else to mix things up just a little bit. Removing most of the guitars from the chorus seemed to work, but it was also a bit empty then. So the keys got thrown in there instead.
seismic1 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:20 am
sjm wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:28 pm Cheers. Is there anything special about the word "endeavour" that made you pick that one out?
I think it was really related to the rarity of the use of the word in song lyrics generally, but I liked the rhyming of a two syllable word with a three syllable word within the same line. That was very satisfying to hear and gave the rhythm of the lyrics an added attraction.

I only just noticed the delay :D
I like the internal rhymes too (IIRC that's the terminus technicus). There's something similar going on in the verses depending on how you want to structure them: door - before; mistaken - forsaken; stories to tell - glories in hell etc. with the endings of the phrases generally rhyming (high - why; damned - land etc.), but for some reason I broke this in the second verse, where the last word doesn't rhyme with anything; and in the first section of the third verse, where it's just internal rhymes.

Call me a nerd, but I find it great fun playing with structures like that.
donkey tugger wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:28 am :lol:

teh frootyloops is the bizzle shizzle an ting. This ain't no chicken and gravy, or something..
:tu:

Well produced pop music. Great to listen to. Enjoyed it! Very British :)

htcnext2 wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 11:23 am Well produced pop music. Great to listen to. Enjoyed it! Very British :)
Didn't realise this thread was still alive... Thanks! I guess you can tell my heritage.

Return to “Music Cafe”